• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twin Spica Manga "Likely" to Go Out of Print in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Yes, Vertical. Thank you so much for finishing the series despite the low sales. I wish I could have gotten you more sales beyond my own. Actually, I think I'll go put in a request at my library today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Yes, Vertical. Thank you so much for finishing the series despite the low sales. I wish I could have gotten you more sales beyond my own. Actually, I think I'll go put in a request at my library today.

Funny thing about libraries...They buy the book almost 4 to 1 over individuals. The reviews and American Library Association / YALSA recommendation really worked on that front.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Time for me to get caught up on this series. Been behind lately as I'm currently trying to get series which I think will go out of print in the near future which most of the time is stuff from VIZ.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't sell well. I'm VERY grateful to Vertical for letting Twin Spica complete its run.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Twin Spica is an incredible and emotionally moving series that should hit home with anyone who has worked hard to pursue an important dream. I was so concerned that Vertical might not be able to finish the series that I imported the last half, just in case.

Thank you so much, Vertical, for sticking with it and finishing Twin Spica! It just saddens me that this won't stay on the shelves long enough for more people to discover it.
xeroth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
1. This series has been on my to-read list for a while.
2. I got paid today.
3. It's refreshing to see a company stick with a series to it's completion, Viz's track record has had me reluctant to buy any series that hasn't finished being released. Bravo Vertical.

Just bought all 12 volumes.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Pelianth wrote:
Half the English volumes ARE omnibuses. Around vol 7 or 8 Vertical started publishing two Japanese volumes for every English volume,

Nice timing... So not only does 12=16, but it just showed up today? Goodbye weekend!

EDIT: Best use of a weekend in a while... would recommend it. That said, borrow it from a library first to make sure you are fine with the art & style. No reason to go out and buy the series unless you suspect you will enjoy it. If supplies really are going to start dwindling, no reason to force others into speculators' sales if you are just curious.
Shiidou Hikaru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry if this seems like a necropost, but I just wanted to let people know that this series is still available, all 12 volumes, at animecornerstore (and probably other places too). So if you're still considering reading Twin Spica, you haven't missed out yet!

Like many others, I was also misled by the cover art and story description. The main character's appearance is that of a girl about half her age, so I was thinking that the story would be a bit too juvenile for me. The whole idea of "space camp" was also rather dated and corny I thought. Since the local bookstore had Vols 1 and 2 on the shelf for ages, there were several occasions that I picked up volume 1, looked at it, and put it back. It was maybe fourth time looking that I actually bought it and after reading through the first time I was hooked on it. The artwork takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while I started to get this comfy "hometown" feeling about the settings that I found to be rather relaxing. This truly is a great story of self discovery and taking on the crushing realities of life with unlimited optimism. Reading Twin Spica really made me feel like I was a high school kid again!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
Y'know before they get GTO i knew nothing of vertical but they're fast becoming one of my favorite publishers.

With the news hat this series is at risk of becoming yet another one of these titles i'll have to chase after I made the effort to get the entire run and am waiting on it all in the post now, I think it was clever of vertical to warn people of the situation so that the volumes of the series dont wind up in the hands of the B*****d book vendors who put the price up to $100 per volume and sit on it forever.

Also much praise to em for finishing the series in the face of poor sales, major respect points earned, i'll be purchasing all their GTO releases along with flowers of evil to ge a look at that and chi's sweet home cos im a cat fan.

As for the covers, i can see why people got the wrong idea but for anyone who has been into manga for a long time we all should be well aware that what you see isnt what you get. One anime i REALLY enjoyed was kino no tabi but when i first read a summary it didn't sound apealing at all. One of the things i love about anime and manga is that they take risks on daft sounding stories that turn out to be really good or portray things that are dark and edgy with light and cheerful looking art.

anyway im just VERY glad we got a warning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3