• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Lone Wolf & Cub Film Rights Acquired with Justin Lin

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember any anime fans bitching about Inception.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7: I'm pretty sure complaint is integral to the respiratory process of the typical anime fan. Who cares? If it's good, it'll stand on its own merits (I will caveat that as far as I'm concerned, Wakayama Tomisaburou IS Oogami Itto, and since the 70s are gone and so is he, there can only be imitators.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I don't remember any anime fans bitching about Inception.

I take it that you're not aware of the Inception/Paprika controversy. Whenever there is a controversy about a western film "inspired by" anime/manga or any Japanese thing. There's going to be a lot of bitching along with accusation to Hollywood/film industry of racism, whitewash, plagarism, ripping off Japan, not giving credit to Japan, anti-Japanese, anti-Asian, etc....

Also the accusation of Inception even reach ANN in this one thread.

It's not only Inception, have you seen Black Swan? It's been accused also of "ripping off anime". Yes, there was controversy about Black Swan being similar to Perfect Blue and now recently the Hunger Game/Battle Royale controversy is still somewhat hot. There has been accusation that Suzanne Colin ripped off/plagarized Battle Royale even though similar but not exactly the same. If this is the logic, then shouldn't Battle Royale be considered a rip-off of The Running Man, and other stories similar to it.

Also I didn't see Japan ban The Hunger Games. The novel already got a Japanese translation and a manga-fied front cover (which looks cool to me) for the Japanese edition.

I'm just glad even if it was made in 2002, Road to Perdition didn't get this same amount of accusation of "ripping off Japan" "whitewash" as those recent films got.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I'm pretty sure complaint is integral to the respiratory process of the typical anime fan. Who cares? If it's good, it'll stand on its own merits

Agreed, luckily I'm not one of those close-minded anime fan that throw conspiracy about Hollywood is racist against Asian. Just because a film look similar to anything Japan doesn't imply "OMG, Hollywood ripped off Nippon". Yknow what, I'm tired of these slander and accusation to Hollywood of racism and whitewash crap. Hollywood doesn't like always whitewash Asian.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, as an inspired premise, Road to Perdition gets away with it by changing the setting, methods, and oh, NOT SUCKING.

If you're going to do something inspired by another work, freely cop to it being inspired, and produce something of notable quality...I don't see the problem.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7: As for the "rip-off" claims, they're almost unilaterally ridiculous. My favourite is Resevoir Dogs being a rip-off of City on Fire. I think the key is to first watch whatever films in question, the achilles heel of many a whistle-blower.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Well they didn't complain when Lone Wolf and Cub became Road to Perdition. So I'm hoping nobody will make a big deal out of this.

It didn't become Road to Perdition. There were no acquiring of rights or legal agreement, so Road to Perdition wasn't an adaptation of any kind. Being "inspired by" is not the same as being "adapted from".

True, but the last time a US film was "inspired by" a anime/manga, Anime fans complain about it (ie: Inception, and Black Swan). Luckilly, Road to Perdition was very lucky of not getting those complaint from anime fan (correct me if I'm wrong).

Because being inspired by gives a writer a metric ton more leeway to make changes because such stories have no way to include actual content from the original work that inspired the writer. People can't change about name or plot changes because the writer would get sued for plagiarism.

Black Swan?! Okay I am going to ask you to stop with the random movie title name dropping just because some anime out there shares a similar premise and has similar scenes(Oh look a girl is staring at her reflect!!!) to a Hollywood film.

BUT we are slowly drifting away from the topic of legal film rights to an adaptation of a manga to conspiracy theories about people ripping ideas from the Japanese.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The thing is, as an inspired premise, Road to Perdition gets away with it by changing the setting, methods, and oh, NOT SUCKING.

If you're going to do something inspired by another work, freely cop to it being inspired, and produce something of notable quality...I don't see the problem.

That's what Inception, and Black Swan did. Both of them are good films. Despite the changes in setting, methods, and they didn't suck. They didn't get away with from rabid anime fans without accusation. I wonder what make Road to Perdition any different from those 2 films inspired by anime/manga.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@mdo7: As for the "rip-off" claims, they're almost unilaterally ridiculous. My favourite is Resevoir Dogs being a rip-off of City on Fire. I think the key is to first watch whatever films in question, the achilles heel of many a whistle-blower.

Well Reservior Dog was directed by Quentin Tarentino, and we all know Tarentino love foreign films (that include Japan). Let's not forget his other film Kill Bill was heavily inspired by Lady Snowblood. Another manga done by the same person who did Lone Wolf and Cub.

Actually I'm wondering why nobody complain about Asia ripping off American film like Japan did this horror film that almost resemble 2 American horror film, Saw and Hostel. The 2009 Japanese horror film, Grotesque ha plot that combine Saw and Hostel together, even the movier poster looks a lot like both Saw and Hostel. Grotesque font looks a lot like Hostel and the torture image on the poster reminds me of Saw.

Also a Korean film, H had a plot that looks a lot like Silence of the Lamb and Se7en. I wonder why nobody complain about these 2 films from Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
For the record, Collins did acknowledge Lone Wolf and Cub in the comic. I don't recall Darren giving credit where it was due to Perfect Blue, though. As for why fans let Perdition slide, they were more focused on Atlantis vs. Nadia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2