• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ef: A Tale of Memories Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Wow, the rabid fans came out of the woodwork fast. Heaven forbid someone criticize your favorite show.

The point of animation is to be animated. It doesn't mean jack if the animation is super pretty if it's barely animated at all. That's a damn fault if I ever heard one.

that's why i said i would take the vn over the anime, it's been a few years chagen but eh. The artwork is great for the characters but as animation goes... it's as stiff as otaku's corner filled full of used socks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Quality over quantity. It's called being understated.

Being "understated" ceases being a viable excuse when you have scenes that last four minutes or more on a still frame while the dialogue continues on (IIRC, this happens twice) or you have scenes that are depicted from such a distance that small movements - or the lack thereof - can't be seen (which happens on many occasions). Perhaps I'm being a little cynical, but I found this series to be more obvious than most when it comes to dodging animating things, and few of the dodges were easily justifiable on any grounds other than being style points.

Want to see a series which occasionally uses minimalist animation but justifies it so well that one has to concentrate to notice that something isn't animated? Check out the Rei/Asuka elevator scene and the Shinji/Kaworu climactic scenes from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Each of those uses a lack of animation on the screen as a tension-generating technique. ef doesn't do that.

BalmungHHQ wrote:
They aren't integrated because (very minor "ef -a tale of melodies" spoiler) spoiler[Renji and Chihiro's story takes places in an entirely different country than the rest.]

Interesting. . . there's definitely no indication of it in the first series' content, though. I will keep an eye out for that in the second series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:
They aren't integrated because (very minor "ef -a tale of melodies" spoiler) spoiler[Renji and Chihiro's story takes places in an entirely different country than the rest.]

Interesting. . . there's definitely no indication of it in the first series' content, though. I will keep an eye out for that in the second series.

I don't know about the dub, but it's explicitly stated in sub. Renji and Chihiro's story spoiler[plays out in Australia (South Australia, I think, being the likeliest inspiration for the setting).]

Of course now that I say it, I can't find the scene I had in mind that demonstrates it. I really hope my memory (heh) isn't playing an incredibly convincing trick on me.

Last edited by Big Hed on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I don't know about the dub, but it's explicitly stated in sub. Renji and Chihiro's story spoiler[plays out in Australia (South Australia, I think, being the likeliest inspiration for the setting).]

Where?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Where?

My apologies. I had a clear image of a scene that occurred during the first two or three episodes which made mention of the fact, but I've skimmed through half the show now and it isn't turning up. It seems something that I remembered from melodies got tossed in the mixer.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I think your getting you're idea of them stating that it's in two separate countries by confusing what they say about the design of the city. I think the only case of they remotely even talked about the actual cities was with Miyako and Hiro. It is sort of silly how they don't tell you why there's two CITIES that look remarkably similar.

If you watched Ef- a tale of melodies it helps make sense of the actual setting as it is both a separate prequel and sequel.

I think the review was pretty good, but I really wish ANN would provide more insight on the actual "english voice acting" because the characters can be great, the animation fluid, and the story is well fleshed out however you than encounter characters with spotty voices or voices that don't match them. If I wanted Japanese dub I would import, but I prefer english so I really want to know more about the PROS/CONS of the english dub. Sadly, only two sentences was written without stating the flaws leading to his rating of a "B".
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
SaharaFrost wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Wow. A C- for animation? That is laughable. That is... absurd. Ef had some of the better facial animation that I've ever seen. If you can watch this and say that it's below average animation... well, I don't know what I'd say to that.

I 100% agree. I can't believe you gave this a C- for the animation of all things. Ef is one of the best animated series I've seen in a very VERY long time. Sure, it's artistic and won't appeal to everyone, but you can't say that it's because of a lack in quality.

I agree. A C- is ridiculous. Ef is a work of art, and does not need extreme movement to be beautiful. However, I love ef, but Melodies is superb by comparison. AND YUUKO IS NOT A BRUNETTE! She has black, iridescent hair. Also, Elisa got her start in ef, so I guess you should say she did TWKOK later. Apparently, the director didn't even read the original script for the game before making the anime. Which is why Kyousuke and Kei were utterly ignored. I really would have liked to see more of the original story. They took out a VERY important point in Melodies too... I will comment with a spoiler text next time about what that was.
However, a good review, although it focused far too much on Chihir (and I hate Chihiro, probably mainly because her voice pisses me off).
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I have to watch this now.

As it's apparently some of the best looking sub par animation to date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
i like how the c- is a great troll for a show that is actually visually distinctive and one of its best selling points. even among other post SHINBOxSHAFT works, ef is way out there in terms of direction and color choice and use and what not.

The problem I see as reflected in the review is more regards to how gimmicky it is at times. I think those of you who think animation has to be animated is either blind or just talking nonsense, since ef is clearly animated. There's actually plenty of animation. Just nothing animated in a way where it's eye-popping flashy.

And it's probably a conscious choice in ef, too, because the way it uses striking changing cuts. If you have two pictures to show and you don't want to show the transition, of course you wouldn't animate the motion that goes between the two pictures. There are also a lot of cuts where only one portion of something gets animated because they want to highlight that one thing. For example, spoiler[chihiro's arm is the metaphorical "13 hours" in the sheep-on-a-chain 11-year clock, so you see her move her hand or arm because her stretch reflects what is changing in her life in terms of her memories, etc]. I think some people would want to distinguish that sort of lack-of-animation versus the garden variety cabbage kind.

So I think it's better to say "gimmicky" rather than "lack of animation" because there's actually plenty of animation. I mean, I am in the middle of watching the series and there's about as much animation as most other late night, low-budget shows.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
I am in the middle of watching the series and there's about as much animation as most other late night, low-budget shows.

You mean "not very much"?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, people are still bitching about the C- minus grade for the animation?
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
There is one general problem with the disks, confirmed by Sentai. In episode 6, about 19:54, for just a moment, a bar appears across the right side of the screen. Otherwise, I recommend this as a teenaged-romance anime; I look forward to ef: a tale of melodies.

I just bought the memories and melodies BD but haven't opened them yet. Is there more information about this? Is Sentai offering exchanges?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
AnimeMaine wrote:
There is one general problem with the disks, confirmed by Sentai. In episode 6, about 19:54, for just a moment, a bar appears across the right side of the screen. Otherwise, I recommend this as a teenaged-romance anime; I look forward to ef: a tale of melodies.

I just bought the memories and melodies BD but haven't opened them yet. Is there more information about this? Is Sentai offering exchanges?

Dude, it's just one black bar for a tiny second.

I wouldn't exchange a BD just for that
irriadin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I was very surprised to see the score for animation, since I was always under the impression that ef had stunning animation. In the AMV community, ef is a very popular source material. After looking up the actual source for some of the most (over)used scenes, I found out that they're actually from the visual novel game opening and that Makoto Shinkai directed it. Go figure.

Here's the OP if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGnJdvt0dcQ&t=00m49s
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
"the scene [...] where this does happen is almost painful to watch."

...on the one hand, anyone who didn't see this coming needs to watch more moe shows.

...on the other, this does blatantly spoil one of the more important scenes in the show. Does it need to be in the review?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5