• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wrath of the Titans Writer Discusses Live-Action Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmyjingoro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember, he's a SCREENWRITER, and the screenwriting itself of the 'Titans' films have been relatively decent. And unlike Greek mythology, Bleach has a more concrete and definite plot and progression. We and him both know what exactly it is that needs to be put on the screen so in terms of story, the work won't really be all his but rather mostly the manga/anime's.

Now add that they are making a specific effort to be honest to the source material, and you realize that the main problem is gonna lie not in 'what' they put on the screen, but 'how much'.

We all know Bleach is a LONG story, and that story didn't become a "big three" story until the soul society and arrancar arcs. So, what that need to do is resist the temptation of adding the Captains and the Arrancars to (sic.)"rake in the cash".

Personally, I would take it till Byakuya and Renji's introduction.
So in the first movie we'll have:
1) Ichigo gains powers form Rukia
2) Ichigo's friendship with Rukia, and Rukia's friendship with everyone else
3) Orihime, Chad and Uryu's stories and establishing their friendship with Ichigo & Rukia
4) Urahara and crew (perhaps add Yoruichi's cat form sooner)
5) Grand Fisher's storyline
6) Byakuya and Renji's introduction to hint at the sequel (Soul Society arc)

To make the story feel less fragmented and more continuous they can perhaps somehow (but creatively) combine Grand Fisher to the finale of the Uryu storyline (which already has Chad and Orihime gaining their powers, Urahara doing his business, and Rukia finally realizing that she likes these guys too much to endanger them). If they wanna add more juice, they can perhaps add a hint of the Aizen conspiracy storyline to tie the Soul Society and Arrancar arcs to this. Aizen did say that he was the one that sent the extra hollows and the grand fisher in the Uryu finale.
--of course, we won't see Aizen or Tousen as clear baddies yet, so maybe we can have Gin can stand somewhere in the shadows, observing. Also, Aizen's "I've been observing you since the beginning" thing won't feel so far-fetched if they start hinting at it from this one.

Then I guess the second film can begin with Byakuya and Renji defeating Ichigo and taking away Rukia, and the Soul Society arc. This would have to be one of those long 2hr30min movies for it to do justice to the characters and the plot.

The third film about the Arrancars. This one can perhaps be split into two movies like Hollywood likes to do with adaptions nowadays
--part one goes till Hueco Mundo with Espada 5-9 fights
--part two does the Fake Karakura town fight with Espada 0-4 fights, Tosen, and the Aizen-Gin finale

Then the next one can be about the Fullbringers (lol typical crappy fourth film of the franchise)

And then however many parts for the last one.

--So yeah, I think if they make an effort to ration the story arcs in the movies correctly they have a successful money-maker in their hands.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Or a Chinese cast. Like they've never done that before!
At least they won't be white-washing......... Ya can call it yellow-washing instead. Laughing

Well...if you take out the clothes, language, and mannerism, you really can't tell the difference between a chinese and a japanese.

Tell that to the Japanese! They complained about it! Laughing

They only found out because the names of the actors in that weird geisha movie was posted.

Think they'd be able to tell the difference if all names were hidden?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Or a Chinese cast. Like they've never done that before!
At least they won't be white-washing......... Ya can call it yellow-washing instead. Laughing

Well...if you take out the clothes, language, and mannerism, you really can't tell the difference between a chinese and a japanese.

Tell that to the Japanese! They complained about it! Laughing

They only found out because the names of the actors in that weird geisha movie was posted.

Think they'd be able to tell the difference if all names were hidden?

They, the Japanese, found out about it right away.
srgtbubbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I love the idea and all but im really intretead to see who will be casted as the main characters Ichigo, Orihime, Rukia , Chad etc etc etc
and to see how far a long the movie will go with the story if it'll go as far as ichigo saving rukia in the soul society or further (or not even that far which would suck)
jtstellar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
wait.. what?
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's just say that if you enjoyed [the live-action] Dragonball Z movie, that's great, but I thought it was a noble effort that ultimately didn't succeed. That's what we're trying to avoid

Just because the movie will be better than Evolution, it doesn't mean it will be good... I don't wanna talk about Evolution Laughing
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Quote:
Let's just say that if you enjoyed [the live-action] Dragonball Z movie, that's great, but I thought it was a noble effort that ultimately didn't succeed. That's what we're trying to avoid

Just because the movie will be better than Evolution, it doesn't mean it will be good... I don't wanna talk about Evolution Laughing

Doesn't mean it'll be bad either. I mean obviously no adaption of a Anime/Toon comic/manga to live action will ever be as good as its origional counterpart, but that doesn't mean it can't be good overall or good for what it is, personally I think they can pull this off if they actually put some thought & some heart into it, no way in Hueco Mundo it'll be a Blockbuster, but deffinantly could turn out decent overall. IMO anywho.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Advice for Mr. Mazeau would be to only cover this territory in film 1:

- Ichigo can see ghosts and hollows since he was a child and that he can never allow himself to stand by while people are being hurt due to the death of mom

- The sight of Rukia fighting off another hollow and then her later coming to his room to explain the basis of what a Soul reaper does

- Ichigo borrowing Rukia's Zanpakuto and becoming a soul reaper to protect his family by killing his first hollow but only show the missions that help explain more about being a soul reaper and the hollows.

- Rukia becoming Ichigo's mentor and showing him the ropes of being a Soul reaper due to her power being drained

- The introduction of Orhime, Chad, and Uryu but not necessarily covering all the territory of their episodes, however, the catch would be to introduce Uryu as a character relatively early in the film as already being a student since he kind of came out of nowhere in the anime.

- Ichigo visiting his mother's grave for the anniversary of her death and the Grand fisher battle as well as the Rukia getting a warning from another Soul reaper.

- Rukia's growing attachment to Ichigo and his friends due to spending so much time with them.

- A compressed version of the Quincy vs Soul Reaper rivalry and the hollow contest that causes the Menos Grande invasion and Orihime/Chad's gaining of powers.

and here are the episodes they can do without as a whole:

- Episode 3

- Episode 4

- Episode 5

- Episode 6

- Episode 7

- Episode 10
shaolin_rambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Wrath of the Titans screenwriter. Right, the final nail in Bleach's coffin I guess. Very Happy

The ONLY way for a live action movie of bleach to be a success, entails that it MUST NOT be less than a 2.5 to 3 hour run time and it MUST have at least three sequels. Another thing !! it MUST contain beautiful visuals as witnessed in Shinobi (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475723/) without it ever being as slow as shinobi was. The fight scenes MUST be FLUID AND ON POINT... and lastly it MUST NOT BE TOO CHILD FRIENDLY (audience catered for must be 18 and older), it should be dark and heavy with violence and should be slightly sexually charged as in the manga/anime ......and i guarantee it will be epic
shaolin_rambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Castings are important also they SHOULD NOT be american ...the ONLY americans if there are any should be...Ichigo, Orihime, Urahara, as they are not japanese...in other words they should cast the movie as shown in the anime.......
shaolin_rambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
To cut a long story short, i should be in charge of this movie.......if i am i guarantee it will be better than the avengers and more epic than lord of the rings....and bleach lovers wordwide such as myself WILL revel and bask in its glory....
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Woah, watch out guys, we got ourselves a grade-A Badass here.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The way Kubo's laid an egg on his own work, sitting down with him probably won't guarantee better results.

Gon*Gon wrote:
The man got basic Greek mythology completely wrong, something everyone is familiar with since Grade 7, what makes you think he'll do a passing job with something like Bleach?

Wrath of the Titans was a fictional movie, not a historical documentary.

That said, I'll bet most 7th graders over the past decade got their Greek mythology facts from Disney, and will picture Hercules as this guy.

[/img]
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
As long as they don't whitewash it and keep it authentic I think it might be good. Here's hoping Very Happy

But Ichigo is not supposed to look Asian, right? He has "orange" (blond) hair and brown eyes. If I remember correctly, he gets mistaken for a "mix" or for an exchange student in the series.
Chad is quarter mexican and Orihime also has naturally walnut colored hair, which isn't very asian either ...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Quote:
"But early on we set down with Tite Kubo the creator and the publisher of the series, and we had a long meeting, making sure we're respectful to the property.

Quote:
"I'm currently working on Bleach and the idea is to set it in Japan and really be respectful to the source material."

Someone pinch me.

Only if you pinch me first. I am surprised I can even type normally right now, my mind is gibberish.

Surely this is typical Hollywood BS that gets said to lure in fanboys? I cannot comprehend a Hollywood that actually makes laudable decisions.

Of course, given the current state of Bleach, being faithful to the source material might actually be a bad thing. There, I said it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4