• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal September

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Space Brothers: Haha, Zidane headbuttet Matterazzi! I remember that! How nostalgic!
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
ah, Space Brothers. I've wanted to read the manga for a while now, since it sells so well and won some awards. And hopefully it will become something like the spiritual successor of Planetes and Twin Spica. Been waiting for a similar anime since ... the last episode of Twin Spica I guess.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
It's probably just a placeholder for now, but in case this was done by accident...

Quote:
For a rundown of all the new shows to expect this season, check out our list here.

That link sends you to the Winter anime page and not Spring.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I see I'm the only one not really digging Space Brothers. I find that interesting.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Edit: Is Mistress Dongs not going to be doing reviews this time around?

If this is not a joke then I have no clue what you're referring to here.

sainta wrote:
Will ANN review Saint Seiya Omega?

Most likely, but Crunchyroll supposedly has this one and so we can't do anything on it until they make it available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Bamboo. Her last name is Dong. Yeah, she is, she just hasn't turned anything in yet. The season doesn't really get going until this week.
Rij

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Eternal September wrote:
Space Brothers: Haha, Zidane headbuttet Matterazzi! I remember that! How nostalgic!

I wasn't going to watch it but now I have to see what you're talking about.

I'd guess anyone who ever cared about football remembers that. It was amazing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The title Space Brothers makes me think of a weird, gimmicky chain of pizzerias that failed to compete with Pizza Hut, but still have some stores dotting the Dakotas and that run down one in Cheyenne, but it seems like it might be a good show.

The premise always sounded promising, if maybe a little hokey, but I never found much enthusiasm. The preview guides seem to be hinting that it could be really compelling. Still, Zac's review hit on a some things that I expected out of it that lead me to have cooled expectations, so I'll probably wait for impressions of the second episode before trying it.

Zac wrote:
Key wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Bamboo. Her last name is Dong. Yeah, she is, she just hasn't turned anything in yet. The season doesn't really get going until this week.

That's good to know. I like having a wider breadth of perspectives. I had been meaning to ask the same question, but in a somewhat more direct way.

Will The Stream be on hiatus during the preview guide?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

That's how it worked last season, so I would assume so.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

That's how it worked last season, so I would assume so.

Yes, of course.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I think if people liked Planetes you might enjoy Space Bros, anime wise that is the best comparison I can give of the vibe this series is giving off.

Anyways I personally thought the first episode was excellent. It's very rare to get adults as the leading characters in anime (although Hiroaki Hirata seems to be making a job out of playing them recently).

And I think it is very nice to see a story about an adult who can still have a dreams too. Yeah dreams are not just for teenagers and kids. I found the first episode funny, down to earth, and inspiring at the same time.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I recall seeing screenshots for Hiiro no Kakera online a few years ago. Then it hit me: it was a game made by Idea Factory, and that alone may make most people turn their noses up and their bodies away. I actually might want to give this one a look just to see what Idea was originally going for with it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
Why are people so excited over some satellite collecting dust from an asteroid? Confused

Not like said dust have the magical property to turn every human being into a cute dog-eared schoolgirl

It's because they nearly lost it after power died, and it took some ingenuity to get it reignited and brought back to earth. You can read more details here. After that, it just became about three studios competing to cash in on it.

Because Americans are inured to space accomplishments and sadly the majority think space is a waste of time. While for other countries these are milestone and historic accomplishments.

What should be frightening to United States is the lack of mainstream news coverage of what all the other countries of the world are doing in space. Not too many Americans know that China has a manned space station of their own.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Because Americans are inured to space accomplishments and sadly the majority think space is a waste of time. While for other countries these are milestone and historic accomplishments.

What should be frightening to United States is the lack of mainstream news coverage of what all the other countries of the world are doing in space. Not too many Americans know that China has a manned space station of their own.

And you know what is weird about this, it used to not be that way at all. Astronauts used to be considered heroes here and were known in households all over the country.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

And you know what is weird about this, it used to not be that way at all. Astronauts used to be considered heroes here and were known in households all over the country.
Maybe every country just goes through that phase, and we've already had ours. How do they feel about it in Russia?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 69