• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurokami the anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Yes, I enjoyed this series very much. I consider episode 23 to be a bonus episode of sorts. It pretty much clarifies and wraps up everything.

I felt that the very last scene after the end credits was the best scene in the whole show. Much in the same way I felt that the very last scene in Rahxephon was the best scene.

Definitely buying when Bandai decides to release it.

Oh, and kudos to IATV and Bandai for the simulcast. All things considered, it went very well.
seven_day7sm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
it strange that the fight with the masagami ends too fast for me to enjoy. like the finishing blow is not cool enough. this anime reminds me of sekirei.
tomarctus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
Just finished it.... not bad.. but......
It has an annoying end... I shouldn't have watched the two last episodes.... Sad Sad Sad
It is really hard to find a god anime, with a not-annoying end...........

Has the manga a different ending? I don't want to read it, if I will fell so disappointed again... Crying or Very sad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
Okay. I just finished watching this after marathoning the last 14 or so episodes. And I have to say: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT GUY?

I've rarely felt so intensely disgusted by someone as I did towards Keita. What. A. Jerk. I feel like the writers must've realized that there would be unhappy reactions to the end because they added an unnessary 23rd episode to try to justify the way the 22nd episode ended, but it DID NOT WORK. Not for me, anyway.

Keita and Kuru go through all that. She saves his life. She gets the everliving snot pounded out of her dozens of times. She clearly cares deeply about him, and it Is. Not. Returned. She broke him out of his shell and freed him from his loneliness, and spoiler[he let her go?] WTF was he thinking?

Yes, I know that Akane is the “Childhood Friend”. Bah. Pathetic. What was that in comparison to what Kuro’s depth of sacrifice and trust for Keita? I guess I just thought that Keita would respond. Instead… the way the series ended destroyed most of my enjoyment and respect for the series. spoiler[How could there be such a “deep bond” between Keita and Kuru if he was willing to let her go like that? To let her cry all alone like that? Oh… and the glowing crests that are supposed to imply that their hearts are still one? Not buying it. That is a very poor substitute for actually being with someone.]

I’m sorry. I know it’s a pretty strong reaction on my part. Maybe because I valued so highly what Kuro did and felt that I feel this way. I’m just glad I didn’t start buying this series before having watched it on Crunchyroll: it saved me money I would’ve bitterly regretted having spent. As it is, this series only reinforces my contempt towards the idea that “a happy, normal life” is what everyone should aspire to, with a devoted, subservient wife and a mundane but respectable job. It’s just like how The Vision of Escaflowne ended, and I felt much the same way then as I do now when spoiler[Hitome decided to return to Tokyo instead of staying with Van], only this time it’s much more intense.

I guess I thought the series might end this way, but a part of me kept hoping that Keita would suddenly see the light. I even watched the 23rd episode hoping that would happen at the end. But it didn’t. The way this ended made me feel sick to my stomach. Why do so many anime series blow the ending? I guess it’s a cultural thing, but it’s still very annoying to me. I need to go watch something that ends leaving me feel happy about the protagonists, instead of disgusted for one and very sad for the other.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, you are clearly exercised by this. My own interpretation was that once spoiler[the Big Bad was defeated and the Earth safe, there was no need for Kuro to remain on Earth. She is, after all, in a sense, sort of a god. Remember, Keito would have gone on aging whereas Kuro is immortal - not really the basis of a normal relationship. Keito had earned a peaceful, satisfying "normal" life. I get your disappointment. In most series like this, Kuro and Keita would have been a couple at the end. Although it did make me somewhat sad that they weren't, I also appreciated that the creators didn't go for the predictable. It also helps that I really like Akane as a character. It would have sucked for her if she hadn't ended up with Keito as she always wanted.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, you are clearly exercised by this. My own interpretation was that once spoiler[the Big Bad was defeated and the Earth safe, there was no need for Kuro to remain on Earth. She is, after all, in a sense, sort of a god. Remember, Keito would have gone on aging whereas Kuro is immortal - not really the basis of a normal relationship. Keito had earned a peaceful, satisfying "normal" life. I get your disappointment. In most series like this, Kuro and Keita would have been a couple at the end. Although it did make me somewhat sad that they weren't, I also appreciated that the creators didn't go for the predictable. It also helps that I really like Akane as a character. It would have sucked for her if she hadn't ended up with Keito as she always wanted.]

You’re right. I’m pretty incensed about the whole thing. As far as I could tell, Kuro was not immortal. Her brother, for example, was growing up to become the lord of the clan, and some of the elders, when shown, looked older. Now, because she was not simply a Terra Guardian, but alsospoiler[ a Masagami], maybe she was immortal, which is possible since she promised that she wouldn’t die before Keita did…

But still. For me, real love is more important. The fact that she did all that for him and he was so blasé about it… grr! I understand what you’re saying. You’re making perfectly rational points. But this isn’t about rationality. Feelings are rarely very rational and I thought he would end up caring for her a lot more than the impression I got from him at the end.

My other complaint is that it seems to frequently happen that the main character turns their back on the supernatural or extraordinary in order to return to the “normal, happy life”. This is theme that occurs frequently, and not just in anime. I hate it. In part, I don’t really get it, but also I can’t imagine why anyone would not be eager, even estatic, to be able to go and see and maybe even live with wonders and amazing things. What is the attraction of the mundane? Because it’s stable? Because it is Japan (or wherever)? Sheesh. I’d leap at the chance to experience that sort of thing. I wonder if I’m just that idiosyncratic.

Ultimately, I guess I just feel that Keita never responded to the obvious love that Kuro felt for him. Yes, he liked her, and yes he wanted to help her, but he never showed a lot of passion towards her. His final talk with Kuro in the entry hall of his place and what he told Akami about how everything was fine… I wanted to strangle him.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't really Keita's choice to make though. spoiler[Remember, she's the one who chose to leave after some consideration despite the fact she had clear feelings for him. It was essentially her that gave up on him, and decided that he was better off without her to mess up his life. Keita, seemed to know and respect her decision to leave, and felt he had no right to stop her. Essentially he felt like he was getting dumped, which is why he was so awkward when saying goodbye to her. ] Anyhow, though, yeah I was sad that spoiler[Kuro didn't end up with him] but I liked spoiler[Akane] just as much and would have felt the same if she didn't either. Love triangles are always kobashi Maru situations, somebody wins but somebody also loses. Crying or Very sad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
There's certainly many ways to interpret what happened at the end. My view is that Keita, having Save the World for Mankind, still liked Kuro, but didn't love her. He didn't want to tell her to leave because it would hurt her feelings, and he liked having her around. spoiler[But he couldn't really have both Akane and Kuro, so when Kuro decided to do the "responsible" thing and go back to the Pure Place, he didn't try to stop her. If he'd really loved her, he would've, at the very least, tried to get her to stay.]

Yes, it wasn't Keita's choice to make, but he didn't even try to keep her with him. spoiler[And my impression was that Kuro was going to encase herself in the master Terra Stone in order to try to end the Doppleliner System. (Frankly, I thought it was pretty lame that it continued to exist even though the principles who brought it into existance were destroyed and the only one that survived didn't want it around anymore.)]

I guess I just think Kuro deserved better.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
I take it you didn't watch the very end past the credits or missed an episode? spoiler[The Masagami's Doppleliner curse remained in effect because of Keita's contract with Kuro. It ended when the contract was broken after Keita passed away of old age after marrying Akane and having grandkids. ]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
I only watched until the beginning of the credits at the end of Ep 23. I guess I should've watched a bit further, but I feared for the safety of my computer monitor at the time. ;P

Okay. I checked it out. spoiler[And despite the writers spending a full episode showing how wonderful everything turned out and why Kuro's actions were supposedly for the best, my feelings towards the end haven't changed at all.] I do understand why other people aren't as offended by it (or even think the whole thing is fine). But... I just don't find the outcome acceptable.

Gah. I feel like I’m doing a crappy job of explaining why I feel the way I do about this. Another way to look at it is that I think that a Universe where fate itself denies someone true love is a crappy Universe and one I wouldn’t do anything to try to save. Also, there are few things more tragic to me than real love denied. I suppose it could be said that what existed between Keita and Kuro wasn’t true love, because Keita didn’t feel that strongly towards Kuro, but in my book he *should* have felt more strongly towards her, and it is a flaw in him (or in the intent of the writers who made the plot) that he did not. You could say, and be totally correct in doing so, that this is my own problem and not a flaw of the series, and I do admit that I’m being subjective here. But nonetheless, I felt nothing but sadness for Kuro at the end spoiler[ because she was unable to be with the person who she cared about most, regardless of the reasons for it.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Gah. I feel like I’m doing a crappy job of explaining why I feel the way I do about this. Another way to look at it is that I think that a Universe where fate itself denies someone true love is a crappy Universe and one I wouldn’t do anything to try to save. Also, there are few things more tragic to me than real love denied. I suppose it could be said that what existed between Keita and Kuro wasn’t true love, because Keita didn’t feel that strongly towards Kuro, but in my book he *should* have felt more strongly towards her, and it is a flaw in him (or in the intent of the writers who made the plot) that he did not. You could say, and be totally correct in doing so, that this is my own problem and not a flaw of the series, and I do admit that I’m being subjective here. But nonetheless, I felt nothing but sadness for Kuro at the end spoiler[ because she was unable to be with the person who she cared about most, regardless of the reasons for it.]

Actually, I know exactly what you mean, and I feel the same way. I'm of the opinion that the romantic tragedy is the single worst story type ever invented and writers of them should be drawn and quartered. I absolutely loathed Romeo and Juliet when we were forced to read the dredge in high school. I also despise such series that spout that "unavoidable fate" and "It's destiny" garbage in the name of character death. I feel that Kurokami escapes the noose though with the good characters and the love triangle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4