• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zetman (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So what's the deal here? Can we expect spoiler[Auntie to be injured/kidnapped/killed every episode? I figured with her scarring in eppie one that maybe she'd be safe for a while.]

It's been like 10 years; that counts as "awhile" Wink
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Kouga's soccer team doesn't have any backups. I just thought I'd point that out.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Scaramanga wrote:
Rhyono wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:
Why is no one bitching about how impossible it seems that a 10-year old would have no idea what TEARS are?! Or hope, etc. That part of the storytelling just took me right out of it.

Because he isn't human and apparently, he's never suffered sadness before.

And hence why I call bullshit. I'm sorry, but it seems like it would be well-nigh impossible to have NOT experienced sadness or tears in ten years. Especially if you live in a slum. Also, apparently he doesn't know what "hope" is either. I'm sorry, in 10 years did his "grandpa" not explain any of these things to him? Seems unlikely based on the speech he gives about justice and violence in the first minutes of the show. It was just heavy-handed and dumb.

OK reading over that it sounds like I hate the show. But really I think it's OK so far in spite of these little issues.

Well if he's not human then he may not have human emotions or normal ones to begin with. Think Star Trek. One of the questions they always liked to play around with was what does it mean to be human? Characters like Data were trying to understand what that meant in order to become closer to human. Seven of Nine was trying to recover her humanity in order to integrate back into her species, etc. or maybe if he's not human but related to the "players" he was just bred for violence and aggression? I'm not saying this is what it is, I'm just throwing out possibilities. I agree many things don't seem to be set up well in the first episode and I think there was not enough development and interaction with his "grandfather". My feeling is that they've just tried to jam too many things in from the manga into 12 episodes and the result is that many things seem to be glossed over or only gone into superficially. Still I really like some of the designs and I'm curious what they'll do with this show.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
This series isn't really getting any attention on here.

The manga was Seinen, but I don't know if the anime is meant to be; I can't tell if Kouga acts the way he does due to the anime actually being Shounen or it's intentionally showing his immaturity.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
This series isn't really getting any attention on here.

The manga was Seinen, but I don't know if the anime is meant to be; I can't tell if Kouga acts the way he does due to the anime actually being Shounen or it's intentionally showing his immaturity.

I don't know from what I remember in the manga he was a bit immature there too. spoiler[I think it was explained better in the manga but the scene when they wanted to give him a dark suit so he wouldn't be so visible, but he was like no it must be white and must have a cape!] lol I thought that was funny but it also showed some immaturity on his part as he was more interested in how it looked as opposed to practicalities.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
I suspect they deliberately wanted to show his immaturity. Which makes sense, because there really is no way that anyone over the age of, say, 8 should be harboring dreams of being a Hero of Justice. Anyway, we are back to the spoiler["let's put someone Zetman knows in danger thing."] Really annoying. I like Brace-face, though, she's cute. You almost never see anime characters with braces.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I suspect they deliberately wanted to show his immaturity. Which makes sense, because there really is no way that anyone over the age of, say, 8 should be harboring dreams of being a Hero of Justice. Anyway, we are back to the spoiler["let's put someone Zetman knows in danger thing."] Really annoying. I like Brace-face, though, she's cute. You almost never see anime characters with braces.

To be fair, this didn't really happen till like chapter 90 something in the manga. Someone pointed out to me that they just seem to be randomly placing events from the first 7 volumes into the anime adaption and that seems to be pretty accurate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
The thing is I'm not reading the manga so the only thing that I can react to is what I see onscreen. And what I'm seeing is a distressing propensity for this show to get me to like characters around Zetman simply so they can be killed/maimed/kidnapped/otherwise distressed at some point.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The thing is I'm not reading the manga so the only thing that I can react to is what I see onscreen. And what I'm seeing is a distressing propensity for this show to get me to like characters around Zetman simply so they can be killed/maimed/kidnapped/otherwise distressed at some point.

I'm not sure if the show is a sadist or a masochist; better get Kagerou in here to help me decide!

Looking back now, I was thinking "someone was complaining about how predictable kidnapping those girls would be" and then I realize "oh, that was me." Which is why I'm not sure on the demographic here, because a lot of it is just a bit too obvious, but some of the darker things seem a bit dark for Shounen.

Due to episode 7 showing Hanako's nipples: I'm going to guess Seinen.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this show hasn't gotten any discussion.

That awkward moment when spoiler[your girlfriend turns into a irreversible, hideous monster.] It seems like they've set things up for a second season, but I don't know how the overall reception of the series was.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought the ending had an air of finality. A sequel longer than an OVA isn't really needed.
It was positively delightful seeing spoiler[Kouga fall to pieces and basically go on a killing spree]. The ending partially redeemed the series for me, and it needed a redeemable feature very badly. There were a lot of aspects within the series I didn't like, especially the fact that the women were only romantic interests and hostages. I don't mind that there were no badass women. I mind that there wasn't a single scene I can think of where a woman did something productive. Couldn't there have been one just female scientist, or a business woman, or something?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I was pretty much disappointed with the show. It had potential, but they tried to cram too much into 12 episodes. Don't like that Kouga spoiler[seems to have suffered no repercussions for killing his parents. Not even a tiny tear shed.] I don't think there will be a second season as I'm pretty sure it caught up to and went past where the manga is now. Hopefully, 10 years down the road they will come back and do this one right.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
such a weird show. so many flaws but i still couldn't stop watching.spoiler[his final form was awesome. maybe a crossover with the gargoyles is on its way?]
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I thought the ending had an air of finality. A sequel longer than an OVA isn't really needed.

I agree, it had a sort of "life goes on, but we don't need to show you" vibe to it, like we were meant to think that though there are spoiler[ still Players,], people will be kept safe. Also, am I the only one who had an almost overwhelming urge to yell out "Batman" at the end of the episode before the title card?

Quote:

It was positively delightful seeing spoiler[Kouga fall to pieces and basically go on a killing spree].

Oh, yes, I thought so too. I thought it nicely showcased that immaturity that got mentioned earlier in the thread, not to mention how feeble his sense of justice really was. I would have liked some repercussions, though. He was perhaps my least favorite character, I must say - I don't feel like he ever learned.

Quote:
the women were only romantic interests and hostages. I don't mind that there were no badass women. I mind that there wasn't a single scene I can think of where a woman did something productive. Couldn't there have been one just female scientist, or a business woman, or something?

Oh my god, yes. And it's not like Katsura can't write them - Aimi in Shadow Lady is one of my favorite heroines, and for most of DNA^2 Karin is pretty badass. But none of these women impressed me, and were I to write a review for the second half of the series (which I'm not going to do because it would be too similar to the one I wrote for the first half...), this would be a large complaint.

Although on a similar note, I think Konoha is the character I feel the worst for. She's forced into an innocent bystander role by the overbearing men - remember, she does try to do stuff - and even her savior role is usurped by Tanaka. Then spoiler[her brother kills their parents and apparently gets off scot-free while Jin just vanishes from her life.] The fact that she manages to pick herself up at all is actually pretty good.

In any event, while I was disappointed in this series, I still liked it enough to watch it every week, whereas I dropped Hiiro no Kakera, my other "eh" series. I'm definitely going to try and pick up the manga when I'm in France, because it's clear that there's some better iteration of this story out there. (Of course, it might be called "Batman...")
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I read bits and pieces of the manga, and the portrayal of females in the anime is positively empowering in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3