• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accel World (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
This episode was total hentai material. The fansubber's episode blog made it much funnier.

Kuroyukihime, I don't think we ever got her real name, NTRs Haruyuki from Chiyu. Haruyuki plugs his cable into Chiyu's... uhhh, hole. Then he gets berated because he doesn't have a cable and Taku's cable is a meter long. The parent and child terminology makes the NTR spoof much more hilarious. Just imagine: "I don't love you anymore mommy! I find a new mommy."

I don't think I've commented anything about the OP but I really like it. Somehow it feels nostalgic and almost sort of like anime songs from the mid 2000s. The ED animation is absolutely gorgeous too. I love the part where we see Silver Crow limping with an decapitated arm.

Also, I think I understand Ms. Black Lotus's remarks from the previous episode about why she finds her true avatar ugly. However, I don't think I can trust that thought, she seems far too manipulative so far.

The scene spoiler[when Haru and Chiyu cable is hilarious. It reminds me of those funny pictures I've seen of men refusing to have sex with women so they play their games.]

Remember guys, use anti-virus programs when cabling!
ggqt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I just can't stop laughing at this show, it screams FAT pride so loud it's pathetic. The show is trying so hard to everything revolve around the fat kid it's funny. It's a lot like Guilty Crown in how it tries to make it self super serious, but honestly how am I suppose to take the goofy fat kid crying seriously.

Like how do you take this seriously lol. Fat Trigun
http://i.minus.com/iJzSES2W2O60a.png

List of pathetic attempts to promote self confidence for fat people:
-He cables (sex) with the school "queen"
-He has two girls fighting over him
-He cables (sex) with another girl, in her room on her bed.
-The school Queen says that she confessed to him and he rejected her
-Oh yeah, and he's the MC

and we are only on episode three
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you really can't get past the fat thing, huh?
ggqt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess not. It's just to funny and pathetic to not make fun of while the show is trying to take it self so seriously.

Thepremise, art, and tone are all good. The only thing that make this show hysterical is the MC and how stupid he looks. It's also not just that he's fat (it mostly is) it's that his character design it self has like 90% less detail than any other character in the show.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
ggqt wrote:

I haven't been too fixated on how strange he looks (he looks like he should be in a show with entirely different animation), but that opening is just hilarious.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The character design for the main character for Accel World really took some getting used to for me. I get the fact the series wanted to make him relatable for his appearance by making him fat and plain. But making his design waist-sized tall compared to his classmates makes him look like a character from a comedy series as it isn't consistent with the designs of other characters and it really makes scenes trying to be serious (spoiler[like the heart-to-heart talk MC had with his childhood female friend in the latest episode]) look very awkward and hard to take seriously. Probably the most questionable design for a lead character I've seen in an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
This episode was total hentai material. The fansubber's episode blog made it much funnier.

LMAO Hentai too strong
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
"His cable is 1 metre long." Could they have tried any harder to make it look like sex. Also looks like childhood friend had crush on MC, only chooseing sports guy because he said anything first.

The show has done a bit of dissevice for itself with design choices coming across a bit strong with its message, but I am not going to be mean about it. The designs of the girls are drawing me back, but it kind of makes it feel shallow, I guess I will be more interested if it takes a bit of a risk with motivations.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
"His cable is 1 metre long." Could they have tried any harder to make it look like sex. Also looks like childhood friend had crush on MC, only chooseing sports guy because he said anything first.

The show has done a bit of dissevice for itself with design choices coming across a bit strong with its message, but I am not going to be mean about it. The designs of the girls are drawing me back, but it kind of makes it feel shallow, I guess I will be more interested if it takes a bit of a risk with motivations.

Why not be mean about it? It's definitely funnier that way.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the only way this series can end well is if he losses all him burst thingy points so he can't accelerate any more, all of the people he cares about betray him, he spirals into a crushing depression and kills him self.

Now I know; sadly this won't happen, But I can still hope for it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Whilst there is a degree of fan service here, I can appreciate that scene as it doesn't use "Sex" completely as a way to get cheap thrills (after all, if that WAS the case, Chris Hansen would have a field day) but to use it as two individuals having a deeper connection with each other (and having dirty laundry finally aired out after probably far too long).

The fact that it was arbitrated though GiTS shenanigans was fine by me as, and I have no basis in this whatsoever and please don't take what I say out of context, that would probably be what awkward teen sex would probably look like in the GiTS setting.

Again, not advocating it, just saying it's there.

ggqt wrote:

I Was thinking Gun Frontier (I'm for having a non tradaional protagonist, but even I think "Potato head" once or twice) but hey, I guess I can't be right because LOL FAT.

ggqt wrote:
Why not be mean about it? It's definitely funnier that way.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the only way this series can end well is if he losses all him burst thingy points so he can't accelerate any more, all of the people he cares about betray him, he spirals into a crushing depression and kills him self.
Now I know; sadly this won't happen, But I can still hope for it.

Dood, if you're that desperate to see anyone who even threatens to not be a clone of whatever the hell social template the world has decided to have that freaking week have a miserable time in education, you might as well just camp out of a High School with a pair of binoculars.

Course, I never equated the "Cable" = Dick thing so maybe my mind's just out the gutter.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Conan-san I bet you like Guilty Crown, don't you. You are looking far to deep into this show, the whole bed/cable thing was nothing but cheap thrills.

Lol at "deeper connection"
But I totally agree, they should make "To Catch a Predator: The Animation"

And I have no idea what you are talking about, my high school had nothing but slim sexy people... Really if I cared about social norms I would not hang out on the internet.

Quote:
Course, I never equated the "Cable" = Dick thing so maybe my mind's just out the gutter.

While your mind may not be in the gutter; you are out of your mind. It was straight up said that cables are sex.

http://i.minus.com/iur35XDtyvykQ.png

Don't worry bro, you don't need to defend this show. It's pretty much a lost cause. The show would be fine if it did not try so hard to force fat equality on us.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
So if the dood was just the same boring 5'7, 110lbs mcprotagonist with something utterly arbatary for a reason for social stigma (probably hair colour) the show would be better for it?

Because that's what I'm hearing.

And, no, I don't care for Guilty Crown , you're just assuming shit because *Gasp!* People like things you don't!
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So if the dood was just the same boring 5'7, 110lbs mcprotagonist with something utterly arbatary for a reason for social stigma (probably hair colour) the show would be better for it?

Because that's what I'm hearing.

And, no, I don't care for Guilty Crown , you're just assuming shit because *Gasp!* People like things you don't!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. It's not like this MC is not boring because of his character, he's pretty much like every other male MC out there, you just laugh at him a lot because he looks stupid and is fat. There is a reason the "normal" look works, anime is based on aesthetics; while they are subjective, it's proven that fat people are not aesthetically pleasing.

And if that's not what you were hearing while reading my posts, you might just be brain dead; lol.

Please. Are you really trying to make an argument that I think everyone has to like what I like?

That's just desperate, you should stop now.

P.S. Stop trying to coin the phrase "dood". It makes you look dumb
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
Yes, but if the protagonist was the standard size/weight then this show would not work because there would be no reason why he'd be ostracised to this degree without having to do mental gymnastics to make it work.
You'd have Shinji without all the factors that make Shinji the emotional wreck he is. A person who has a bunch of problems and every means of dealing with them, but no care to do so.

Look, you don't like the show and your reason for not doing so is fine, stupid as all get out, but fine.

PS: I'll say whatever dumb shit I care to say, boy.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Yes, but if the protagonist was the standard size/weight then this show would not work because there would be no reason why he'd be ostracised to this degree without having to do mental gymnastics to make it work.
You'd have Shinji without all the factors that make Shinji the emotional wreck he is. A person who has a bunch of problems and every means of dealing with them, but no care to do so.

Look, you don't like the show and your reason for not doing so is fine, stupid as all get out, but fine.

PS: I'll say whatever dumb shit I care to say, boy.

Oh I'm sure it could work fine with out him being fat. He could be of a different race, have a disability or even be gay. There are a ton of other ways this could be done. The only reason he is fat is because the author is trying to hit the huge fan base of fat nerds who watch anime, and if you consider getting punched in order to get a kid expelled a "mental jumping jack" I may have to reconsider the literacy level of which I write when responding it you

And I'm guessing English is not your first language, so I'll just ask.
What does "stupid as all get out" mean.

Also, who ever said I did not like the show? I just like it for my own reasons. I enjoy laughing at how hard it tries to make the fat kid look cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 21