• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Nah, cause I can turn on Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu and then not be able to stop laughing. Cromartie High School also has this effect on me. Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, Minami-ke, Seto no Hanayome, and Azumanga Daioh as well cause me to laugh with each episode. And then something like Nerima Daikon Brothers or Excel Saga... I can go on. But yeah, I can certainly laugh at comedies. That's never been an issue for me.

What was something that was funny to you in the episode, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I missed a funny joke.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Something I found funny was the bit where Medaka showed the letter she recieved by Shiranui which looked really cutesey, and asked to spoiler["fix his personality"], a request that is rather scarey. Added with the bit that she left Shiranui as a substitute when she seems like the type to be incapable to take things seriously. Might include how cliche the thugs were (including one who was very similar to another character), and how they were afterwards. Oh and Medaka's poses that looked like something by the Ginyu force.

This feels like it might turn into a discusion like in the Another thread, people claiming it was good at what it was, others claiming that what problems they had with it should push the series down. Again everyone's thoughts should have merit, I personally see the humour.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I did not really find the first episode funny at all. I did enjoy watching it, but the humor if there was any just went over my head or maybe my tastes are changing.

That does not mean that I am not going to watch more if it, I will most likely give the second episode a watch and determine if I want to watch more of it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
This feels like it might turn into a discusion like in the Another thread, people claiming it was good at what it was, others claiming that what problems they had with it should push the series down. Again everyone's thoughts should have merit, I personally see the humour.

I don't see it getting as out of hand as the Another thread. People who don't enjoy the humour will just stop watching, ergo leaving the thread alone also. People were also hypercritical of Another since horror anime are such a rarity, whereas funny shows are a dime a dozen.

I honestly wasn't enamoured with the first episode. Oh, I totally 'got' the humour, it just didn't really tickle me. Worry ye not Blood-, I did laugh at some parts, my pulse is working just fine. If I had to put my finger on what didn't work for me, I guess a perceived lack of originality? Whilst some aspects were interesting (Zenkichi hearing the voice in his head or what motivates Medaka, for example) a good chunk of it seemed very familiar, very worn-in. It's nice to have familiarity, but it seemed to me it might have been trying to hard in certain areas. I can't really articulate very well just why this bothered me so much, but it did.

I definitely didn't hate it, but my reaction was very much 'meh'. Despite this, with all the assurances that the tone will shift sometime soon, I'll be sticking with it for a while.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Nah, cause I can turn on Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu and then not be able to stop laughing. Cromartie High School also has this effect on me. Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, Minami-ke, Seto no Hanayome, and Azumanga Daioh as well cause me to laugh with each episode. And then something like Nerima Daikon Brothers or Excel Saga... I can go on. But yeah, I can certainly laugh at comedies. That's never been an issue for me.

What was something that was funny to you in the episode, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I missed a funny joke.

I laughed at most of the sight gags - i.e. when the dude is pointing his finger a certain way and the door opens and Medaka is in the exact same position. I laughed when she suddenly was stripped down to her panties and underwear. I laughed when I saw she was wearing all the student council armbands on her arm. I laughed at the blue haired chick. Lots of things made me laugh. It just had a very pleasing, fun atmosphere for me. I still think you might be dead.
4750G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood-, now now, you were the one who said humor is subjective. I personally liked the first episode despite not laughing too much. Let's not get fixated on that. As has been mentioned all over this thread, it does not seem like the comedy part of this anime will last very long anyway. Let's wait a while.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
So not one person thought the ahouge line was funny? I thought it was by far the most ingenious example of wordplay in the whole episode.

Edit: *I am beginning to think that the fansubbers did not translate this joke. Would I be correct in this assumption?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
Blood-, now now, you were the one who said humor is subjective. I personally liked the first episode despite not laughing too much. Let's not get fixated on that. As has been mentioned all over this thread, it does not seem like the comedy part of this anime will last very long anyway. Let's wait a while.

Yes, humour is subjective and I have no problem understanding anyone who didn't find the show as funny as I did. But to say that he wasn't even aware that the show was a comedy is one of those stupidly exaggerated statements I'm starting to see too much of at ANN.
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
I thought this was a decent first episode, and I'll at least watch the next few episodes to see how this might look to turn out. The animation was well-done, it was occasionally funny (even if the laughs weren't overly intelligent or original), it's silly enough and aware enough of the genre that I don't think it will fall into the typical pitfalls of anime of a similar type, and I want to see what direction the story will go. And this is by Gainax.

If I were to make one complaint with this show so far, it would be how Medaka is proportioned - I find it both insulting and somewhat grotesque.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'd say it was more fun than funny. However I have problem with Japanese humour in general, at least the kind that usually is implemented in anime.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode. It felt like a more ridiculous, over the top version of Sket Dance, which I also really like. I liked the fact it doesn't take itself at all seriously and is very self aware. I'll definitely be checking out the next episode.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Just read all the manga spoilers. CAN'T WAIT to not watch this show. OMG that's happening right now. THIS IS SO GREAT!!!!!
Barachem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Whether it takes itself seriously or not does not excuse it from being a narrative mess.

Ever heard of the expression "suspension of disbelieve"?
Yes, i'll agree, the first halve of the ep i found atrocious, then Medaka shocked me into submission. Wink
Still don't like the fan-service, if they'd tone that down, it'd be a great contender with those interstellar pirates.
Miranox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The first episode isn't particularly impressive but it follows the manga at least. As long as it continues to do so the show will get much better. I worry that it will get a rushed ending but judging from the first episode that's not likely. It better get at least 24 episodes.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
It better get at least 24 episodes.

Nope...the home media release has been solicited already in Japan. The show is going to be getting 12 episodes right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18