• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Miranox wrote:
It better get at least 24 episodes.

Nope...the home media release has been solicited already in Japan. The show is going to be getting 12 episodes right now.

Source?
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
superdry wrote:
Miranox wrote:
It better get at least 24 episodes.

Nope...the home media release has been solicited already in Japan. The show is going to be getting 12 episodes right now.

Source?

source
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the original rumors indicated this would be a split cour series.

The rumors were...

Gainax - Right
Imaishi - Wrong (May have been right @ the time... "No Kumagawa? fudge that I'm outta here!")
Split Cour - Half Right since this is 12 Episodes as of now. Considering Mago had 2 seasons, Bakuman has 2 and a 3rd inc... wouldn't be surprised if it was split cour.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't take home video solicitations as anything other than a minimum number of episodes. Discs don't have to be solicited all at once. Like Hunter X Hunter was only initially solicited with 5 volumes, but it's obvious that it already has more than 15 episdoes. Medaka Box could be 12 episodes and/or split-cour or it could not be, but the amount of discs initially solicited doesn't say much more than the absolute minimum.

Episode 2 was slightly better. I would like the show a lot more if Shiranui was the female lead and not Medaka.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

God, I love this show. It is so clearly head and shoulders above most purportedly anime comedies. Medaka in a spoiler[puppy suit?] Awesome.

Megiddo wrote:
I would like the show a lot more if Shiranui was the female lead and not Medaka.

Shiranui is indeed an awesomely funny comedic sidekick character. Medaka is designed to appeal to males who actually have some testosterone coursing through their bodies and who aren't bland, banal lumpen piles of crappy taste, so yeah, I can see why she holds no appeal for you.
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I wouldn't take home video solicitations as anything other than a minimum number of episodes. Discs don't have to be solicited all at once. Like Hunter X Hunter was only initially solicited with 5 volumes, but it's obvious that it already has more than 15 episdoes. Medaka Box could be 12 episodes and/or split-cour or it could not be, but the amount of discs initially solicited doesn't say much more than the absolute minimum.

There is hope. Episode 2 doesn't look rushed at all. It's the usual 2 (manga) chapters per episode. As long as they keep it this way it should turn out fine.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Medaka is designed to appeal to males who actually have some testosterone coursing through their bodies and who aren't bland, banal lumpen piles of crappy taste, so yeah, I can see why she holds no appeal for you.

She's designed to appeal to the kids that read Weekly Shounen Jump. Considering that Medaka Box is regularly ranked near the bottom on the SJ opinion polls, it doesn't seem to have worked.

If she causes you to want to masturbate furiously and gets your testosterone boiling, then good for you. I've personally never watched anime just for fap material. We certainly have two distinct tastes, don't we? Yet, funny enough, as I look at your list of anime ratings we agree on a large percentage of titles. It is quite amusing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Medaka is designed to appeal to males who actually have some testosterone coursing through their bodies and who aren't bland, banal lumpen piles of crappy taste, so yeah, I can see why she holds no appeal for you.

She's designed to appeal to the kids that read Weekly Shounen Jump. Considering that Medaka Box is regularly ranked near the bottom on the SJ opinion polls, it doesn't seem to have worked.

If she causes you to want to masturbate furiously and gets your testosterone boiling, then good for you. I've personally never watched anime just for fap material. We certainly have two distinct tastes, don't we? Yet, funny enough, as I look at your list of anime ratings we agree on a large percentage of titles. It is quite amusing.

Ha, shows how much you know, buster. I don't dig Medaka for fap reasons. I gravitate towards her due to my innate desire to prostrate myself before powerful female personalities. Guess you're feeling a little silly right now for misunderstanding my psychological make-up, eh? Well, no matter - your apology is accepted.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Episode 2 was slightly better. I would like the show a lot more if Shiranui was the female lead and not Medaka.

Well Hunter X Hunter aired @ an 11 am timeslot and was a readaption of a manga that had already spawned a 50+ episode series.. of course it was going to get more than 5 volumes.

Completely different...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Completely different...

Mouretsu Pirates vols 1-3 were solicited a full month in a advance before volumes 4-7.

The initial home video solicitation doesn't mean anything, got it? Just wait for official word from the studio.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

What would the show be about then? Eating and snarky remarks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

What would the show be about then? Eating and snarky remarks.
Sounds like a best seller to me, kind of like if K-ON, Kyon style.

I already said that I could see Shiranui as my favourite character here, although she seems to be a bit out of the top character roles based off the ED, they do seem aware of fanbase with the pretty artwork at the midway point. Her comedic routine definetly keeps me wanting to watch. I like how Medaka is obviously spoiler[jealouse of how well he is getting along with with] Shiranui, wonder why it is he knows her fairly well, but Medaka doesn't, I thought they were very close to each other.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Completely different...

Mouretsu Pirates vols 1-3 were solicited a full month in a advance before volumes 4-7.

The initial home video solicitation doesn't mean anything, got it? Just wait for official word from the studio.

Again it's obvious that Pirates would get more than 3 volumes... unless you thought it might air for 6 episodes and ignored that it was confirmed for 2 cour before airing. 90% of late night shows are fully shown when listed, Medaka Box is the same. The rest are like Pirates where it's obvious that more volumes will be shown, Nise only had 3 volumes listed @ first but it was also confirmed for 11 episodes.

I don't have to wait when common sense and precedent show me this is 12 episodes. Not to mention the last time Gainax did something more than one cour was 5 years ago and that was before Khara was formed by Anno and Imaishi left to form TRIGGER.

It's 12 episodes, deal with it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Shiranui's only as effective as she is because she's the "goofy sidekick" kind of character. Characters like her need other characters to play off of, so she wouldn't work as well as the lead.

Fun episode, BTW. I'd probably continue following this one if this was a weaker season. (As it is, there's already a half-dozen titles prioritized ahead of it, and I only follow 4-5 a season.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
... and I only follow 4-5 a season.)

4-5??? Ha, that's what I watch before breakfast. Clearly you are letting something really unimportant like "having a life" get in the way of your viewing. For shame, Key, for shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18