• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
Isn't this turning into a "popular anime opinions" thread?
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
TheSwedishElf wrote:
- Evangelion is without a doubt THE most overrated, overhyped pile of pretentious garbage ever produced.

That's not an opinion. That's just a very childish insult. Fame deserved or not, NGE is a great series that inspired numerous others.

It most certainly is an opinion. It's my opinion that no, Evangelion really was not all that great. That it's not the friggin' masterpiece its fans paint it as, it's an overrated cartoon about a bunch of giant robots, peppered with pretentious, pointless religious symbolism {which they later admitted was added just for shits and giggles to distinguish it a little more from the countless other mecha shows}, starring the absolute wussiest "hero" in anime history, and topped off with an ending that makes absolutely no sense and tries way too hard to be deep and edgy.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Don't know if its popular or unpopular, don't care. But...

Too many anime made the last 5-7 years have been made to pander to heavily to the Otaku demographic as opposed to just general fans/enthusiasts of animation.

And gonna get ALOT of flack for this but..meh

ONE PIECE IS HIGHLY OVERRATED! And its fanbase is often rude, elitist, and annoying to anyone that likes other shonen more then OP. (In my experience anywho)

And finally. Giant Robots are a BETTER cliche/trope then Giant Boobies!

Thank you....that is all.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
I haven't personally found OP fans to be that bad typically, but then maybe I just hang out with the better fans. Personally, I'm one of the fans who doesn't really care either way if someone dislikes OP--unless their view has been coloured solely by the 4Kids version, then I'll tell them to go watch the REAL OP before forming their opinion.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
I haven't personally found OP fans to be that bad typically, but then maybe I just hang out with the better fans. Personally, I'm one of the fans who doesn't really care either way if someone dislikes OP--unless their view has been coloured solely by the 4Kids version, then I'll tell them to go watch the REAL OP before forming their opinion.

Well you have better luck with Shonen fans then I i'm guessing. Pretty much all of my experiences with OP fans have been fairly negative ones, moreso then I had with others (DBZ, Naurto, etc.) And given thats just my own personal experiences, I know not ALL fans of OP or any series are all bad, but sadly it seems many are.

However I do still wholeheartedly stand by my stance that OP is overrated, I can respect that it has like DBZ & NGE earned its popularity, but I personally do not care for it and don't care to be bashed or chastised because i'm not a fan. If people want to like it they have every right to, I just get pissed when I have some fanbrat bashing me for liking long running shonen like Bleach, Case Closed or Fairy Tail more. Evil or Very Mad

But back on topic....

I...I like SAC more then the origional GITS movies *don't hurt me!*
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
ONE PIECE IS HIGHLY OVERRATED! And its fanbase is often rude, elitist, and annoying to anyone that likes other shonen more then OP. (In my experience anywho)

Keeping in mind that OP is my favourite shonen and also part of my top 5 list, I have no issues whatsoever with a lot of shows and people who prefer them. Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail, Detective Conan, Hikaru no Go, etc. On the contrary, I'm a huge fan of at least the ones I mentioned.

But Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, and Beelzebub are huge exceptions. I really enjoy the genre, so I'm always tempted to watch whatever I come across, which is where the danger lies, since they're lengthy series and I usually go from liking to despising a series if the quality drops considerably. Which is fair enough considering the amount of time I invested.

I could go on and on whining about those series, but I'm sure you've heard all of it from the looks. I don't really complain much nowadays since it's obviously a waste of breath.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
@Egoist: Well glad to meat at least one nice OP fan lol. But yeah, again I can understand why people love it, put personally outside of the origional East Blue arcs, I just can't get into the series, after that it just seems kinda, meh.

And yes I agree whining over long running shonen dipping in quality is like whining about ice cream melting in the hot sun, its just inevitable. All shonen have their ups & downs. But I digress.

Anywho back on topic.

While I a fan or Eureka Seven I personally find Renton to be one of the most annoying male leads in anime history, lol.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I actually had no problems with Renton from Eureka 7, my problem was with the entire crew just being douchebags for most of the show. It got to the point where I was genuinely rooting for pretty much all of them to get taken out at every battle they had. When Renton spoiler[got taken in by that couple, that was exactly where I wanted the show to go, but... yea... that didn't last.] Also agree with whoever it was that said the toddlers in that show are garbage.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Don't know if its popular or unpopular, don't care. But...

Too many anime made the last 5-7 years have been made to pander to heavily to the Otaku demographic as opposed to just general fans/enthusiasts of animation.

Companies pander to the otaku demographic because they are the ones buying anime and merchandise. If "general fans/enthusiasts of animation" bought more, then we'd probably see more of stuff like that.

Until then, otaku pandering continues.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Anime is either aimed at otaku or mainstream. Nothing has changed other than people trying to differentiate that there's a difference between stuff from then and now. "General fans/enthusiasts of animation" would be mainstream stuff like Naruto and Detective Conan. Anything else is otaku. That's why OVAs were so popular in the 90s compared to now, now that otaku stuff can air late night rather than just be stuck on an OVA.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

This is less because the industry is pandering more to the otaku than because the Japanese otaku fandom's tasted as shifted. For example, in the late 80s/early 90s, the otaku taste was primarily oppressive cyberpunk dystopia. This happens to coincide with the taste of scifi fans in the west, which is why it wasn't apparent that those anime titles were pandering to the otaku. Now that the Japanese otaku fandom has shifted toward moe, which has no corresponding fandom in the west, the otaku pandering is more obvious.

Anyway, here's an unpopular opinion:

- The 2000s anime are better than the 1990s anime. While the 2010s have not had enough of a track record to compare as a decade, it's certainly beginning with great promise to beat the 1990s as well.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
@ above posts: True enough. But one could argue it was the media in Japan that created this shift moreso then just the Otaku themselves. Also would like to note I by no means hate/dislike otaku centric shows, just don't find them enjoyable on the same level as I do other forms of anime/media.

@Boomerang Flash: While I respect your Opinion... U CRAZY SON! Lol. I will admit from a technical aspect 21st century anime may have an upper hand but I find that overall both the 90's and Y2k had their fair share of both gold & garbage, but speaking solely of the garbage I find the cable boom eras (80's & 90's) garbage more entertaining then modern garbage. As for the 2010's IMO we've gotten some great shows so far, House Of Five Leaves, Tatami Galaxy, and other shows from the Noitamina Block. and from this season Mystersious Girlfriend x & Kids On The Slope look pretty good (so glad Sentai picked those up for a domestic release) And I hear Accel world is good so far. But yeah...i'm rambling so......

@Mr: Sinister: Yeah the whole crew was kind of jerky for the entire first half of the series, but rentons emoness wasn't much better IMO.

anywho moving on.

unpopular opinion...unpopular opinion. ahh..... Picard is a better captian then Kirk ever was? wait wrong medium, lol.

Ahh....... Hunter X Hunter's new anime is more entertaining then the manga. There that should do it.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
And finally. Giant Robots are a BETTER cliche/trope then Giant Boobies!

Let me add that fantasy and scifi are also inherently better settings than schools.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
EricJ wrote:
- Do you honestly--HONESTLY--believe a curious first-timer will instantly warm to anime from being assaulted by Evangelion for the very first time in his life, just because it's so "different"?

Well, that's how I got into anime...

NGE TV series is a spectacle. You have to know your audience. Everyone’s tastes are different. Your recommendations need to be tailored to the person you are showing the anime to. Personally, nowadays I would recommend the new Evangelion movies over the TV series, as the changes seem to open it to more audiences.
naninanino wrote:
-Madoka Magicka is only liked by people who still haven't seen their Elfen Lied yet, or gotten over that phase yet. Not to mention it has awfully inconsistent animation style. Yet people will try to explain that off as art, just like they did with EVA's TV-ending (it is bs, and you know it.)

I have been watching anime since the early Eighties, the Seventies if you count westernized Speed Racer and Battle for the Planets. For me and others, Madoka Magica brought back the magic of anime. When PMMM was showing last year, it was almost entrancing. I followed the fan wiki religiously and devoured any news or information about it. I haven’t felt this way in years for any show. Personally, I think the very vocal haters of the show, secretly like it, why else would they comment continually about a show they say they dislike. Whatever are your public and private comments about the show are, Madoka Magica has grabbed us and shook us like rag dolls.
EricJ wrote:
I've been expressing my unpopular opinions back when they were true: Razz
- Admit it: You're just watching (pick one: Ghost/Shell, SE Lain, Akira) because they were recommended by fan buzz back when they were the only things on DVD. In 1998…..

Shouldn’t have included Ghost in the Shell. At one time Masamune Shirow was a big name mangaka. His works were well loved and still are. His fans watched Ghost in the Shell, not because of fan buzz, but because it was based on his works. Appleseed is his other manga and anime series. Here’s hoping that Orion someday gets made into an anime OVA or series. Let’s not forget his other (manga and OVA) little gem, Black Magic.
I liked Akira, didn’t think it was the greatest thing on Earth, but it was quite good.
Oh, since when did fan buzz become a negative by-word. Fan buzz generates excitement and gets people to watch things they might not ordinarily watch. Sounds good to me.
Melanchthon wrote:
I take solace in the fact that my opinions, while unpopular, are correct......
.....--And here's the big one: Physical Anime Media in America needs to be priced higher. The future is NISA and Aniplex. And dubs are unnecessary.

Always surprised by people that proclaim we need to pay higher prices for the things we buy. Whether, it is gasoline or anime. Understand that sometimes events and situations may force higher prices on us, but to say they NEED to be higher makes me doubt the sanity of the individual proclaiming such stuff.
Also, dubs are unnecessary for you. Many people like dubs, and it makes it easier to show anime to those that are not enamored of anime. All anime should have a sub-titled option, but dubbing should be encouraged also. Many like being able to watch anime without having to read sub-titles also, and for some being forced to watch sub-titles is the loss of a sale.
SecretAgent194

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The 4Kids One Piece was very well cast (especially Zoro), the opening kicked butt and the voice acting was pretty very good despite the bad edits and censorship.

Also, the 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh OST is better than the original and the dub is also pretty well cast. I can't imagine Yami Yugi with any other voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk7X1SDFM2A

Also, Rurouni Kenshin: Seisōhen is not crap and Tsuioku Hen is not as good as the manga version and it is in no way a prequel to the anime series. And the Tokyo Arc (Season 1) of Kenshin is highly underrated and I believe some of the filler even rivals the Kyoto Arc in quality.

The Angel Beats dub is highly underrated .
The Clannad dub is a trainwreck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 84