• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Also two of the best in the genre right now. IMO (I know, a totally popular opinion)
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Have to disagree on all accounts concerning Animekings1108 OPM slander, Deadpool is and always has been terrible and the resemblance to OPM is minimal at best. But anyone who bigs up The Tick is OK in my books, so horses for courses.

I also never got the current fad of MY HERO ACADEMIA IS A OPM RIP-OFF NUUUUU....really, guys. It isn't, just stop!

Unpopular opinion: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill are plotless garbage. COME AT ME!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
^
Re: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. While I wouldn't necessarily call it plotless garbage, I would say that that it is hopelessly superficial. I could never -- and still do not -- understand its popularity.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
Comrades, I've just deleted a sequence of posts that started with a post that was:
a) a one-liner;
b) a troll; and
c) soapboxing.

Don't go there, and don't follow them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out my post was a legit question and refering to it as "soapboxing" is incredibly demeaning. Rolling Eyes
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hawk, you've broken my heart over Gurran Laggan, why can't you believe in the me that believes in you?

Kill la Kill was kind of... ugg... though, i'll grant you.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
I would like to point out my post was a legit question and refering to it as "soapboxing" is incredibly demeaning.

If you had a post in the sequence that was deleted I am pretty sure that it was not the post that started the sequence. That is the post that was soapboxing.
Other posts were deleted because they were no longer relevant with that post deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry Adventurer please don't go breaking your heart! To be fair, I only managed up to the half way mark, and it was 10 years ago so maybe its time I reevaluated my stance in TTGL.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
I would like to point out my post was a legit question and refering to it as "soapboxing" is incredibly demeaning. Rolling Eyes

I would like to point out being condescending and contentious in responding to a moderator's action is not going to get you far. If you have a question regarding why your post was removed than PM the moderator who removed the post and ask civilly. In this case errinundra.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:

I would like to point out being condescending and contentious in responding to a moderator's action is not going to get you far. If you have a question regarding why your post was removed than PM the moderator who removed the post and ask civilly. In this case errinundra.

Nope, your wrong there lad. But water under the bridge and all that.

Unpopular opinion: Revolutionary Girl Utena is better than Sailor Moon.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:

Unpopular opinion: Revolutionary Girl Utena is better than Sailor Moon.

I do not think that that is an unpopular opinion. Say, rather, that that the two franchises appeal to different audiences.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Here are some fresh from.... Where do you make unpopular opinions?

-One Punch Man, aside from nonstop talking and other shenanigans I didn't enjoy, I found the animation very choppy at times (mostly in the first quarter), it isn't consistent, and the modeling comes across as off (there have been memes with Tornado over that, I'm sure someone here saw one).

-Serial Experiments Lain, ignoring that I gave this a 1/10 for oh-so-many reasons, this is barely a psychological anime. This counts far more under the dementia genre due to its inconsistency and sudden random changes meant to play with the minds of the audience throughout the series. It is dementia with a plot and not a particularly superb example.

-Good old Iron Blooded Orphans, there is only one of my dozen plus complaints I'll bring here and it is the pacing. Spending nearly three quarters of a series simply traveling with every other episode loaded with talking, not even setting building, it is used just for slice of life nonsense that amounts to nothing. What would take a normal series three episodes this took nine and the pacing to get to it is slow, you don't feel immersed as much as you are just reading subtitles with humans in a franchise known for amazing visuals, sounds, animation, writing (minus Age), pacing, etc. THEN, in the last fifth "We are in the Pacific Ocean we need to go to Alaska oh hey we got on a train off screen!" The sheer whiplash indicated to me one of two things either A) The staff had no idea what they were doing and just created padding for air time until they realized they wasted so much or B) Wanted to see how audiences reacted to different types of speeding. It would not bother me as much if juxtaposition was not sacrificed, the antagonists BARELY do anything wrong let alone criminal worthy and fights not only happen offscreen but they don't even show the transition and beginning of the final battle. This was not made by an amateur studio, Sunrise is pretty much among the top of the industry with Ghibli, Toei, Xebec, and other studios I'm too lazy to mention. This isn't even me being disappointed in there not being enough action or whatnot, you have literally two different speeds clashing to give an inconsistent tone. At the very least if you're going for different pacing speeds make them gradual and not sacrifice transitions into what are supposed to be important moments. On the subject and it isn't even necessarily anime related....

-"Action is superficial to war stories". *raises hand* Huh? A war is a series of mortal conflicts or in laymen terms battles. Battles have fighting. Fighting is a type of action. There are other components like politics, economics, tragedy, migration, survival, strategies, and other consequences that would have lasting historical impacts that affect a wide array of people; however, the primary part of a war is the battles. It is needed and the tools and intellect used to fight said battles are how they play out, it is almost like saying games are superficial in sports stories. Really not seeing the sense in that logic. Finally....

-Being new does not equate to good. You can be good and new, bad and new, good and old, or bad and old. I've seen plenty of stories where all four apply. I don't call something good because it is different than what came before. Kamen Rider is a nice example of this from my experience: Gaim was considered new yet the first two third has pacing problems, most the cast kind of blended in with one another, the villains were not that impressive, the music was unfitting, the tone could not keep consistent, and the writing had flimsy moments. In contrast there is Skyrider which was considered old/stale/stagnant/what have you yet the writing was basic yet kept good world building, the tone was consistent throughout, it was easy to follow, the villains had a sense of grandeur to them, the music as fitting and cool, the cast was small so focus could be kept to plots and main characters instead of jumping around, and the pacing was quick and efficient. One I found kind of meh, the other became my favorite entry in the franchise for a long time. The same happens in reverse, X is seen as old, yet I see it similar to Gaim in problems while Drive is seen as new yet dethroned Skyrider as my favorite. The moral? Being fresh really doesn't mean anything to me, it is just an experiment. Sometimes I think this idea is forgotten, being new means it is experimental, that alone shouldn't be the foundation of a structure but how well it executes what it is trying to accomplish.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Hawkmonger,

What Touma says is exactly the case. Your post was a reply to the offending post. It's deletion is no reflection upon yourself. My advice is that, when someone is trolling, don't reply - report the post. Apologies if my earlier comment was cryptic.

My unpopular opinion: I dislike this thread intensely. It promotes negativity. Many of the opinions expressed are borderline trolling. The title even encourages it. I can't complain too much, though - I consented to be moderator. I'd much rather people say why they think something underappreciated is so good. For example, I think Flowers of Evil is gorgeous to look at and a mesmerising story, but I'll leave that to my review thread at a later date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it a good thing to have a place to deposit all the negative trolling energy though? Surely it must help keep it out of the rest of the forum, in theory. At the very least its a place to express your dislike of X popular thing without going into a thread about that thing and causing undo drama when slightly overzealous fans start dismiss you as a troll.

As long as things don't dissolve into name calling or other harmful behavior, I think a little bit of soapboxing could be tolerated in here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, every city needs its sewer. I guess that makes me the sanitation officer.

Nonetheless, KyuuA4's post was a deliberate hand grenade.

Now I'm getting images of runaway methane explosions under the metropolis. Too many metaphors. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 84