• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jormungand (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swienke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
As for Koko's plan, if that's all there is to it, then how does she expect spoiler[stopping air travel would end war? We've been killing each other efficiently before planes, and wars can be fought without them again]. I don't believe that's her real goal or plan, or at least all of it.

No, that's not all there is to it at all. You may want to play back Koko's declaration from the last episode a couple of times because there's a lot of information and insinuation contained in a very short amount of time. Koko's plan isn't just to spoiler[stop all air traffic. She intends to use the HEK-GG system in combination with her quantum computer to eventually control all possible supply routes. She intends to eventually control air, sea, and land, but I'm guessing she's starting with the sky because, ironically enough, she believes that she can minimize the total number of casualties that way. A demonstration of power that allows her to instantly destroy all air traffic can be used as a means of bullying nations and organizations into following her plans out of the fear that not doing so will result in even greater devastation.] Of course that train of thought has a major weakness: namely that not all people will be willing to follow her tune even if it may be the more "rational" thing to do. We see a hint of that with Jonah's reaction at the end of the episode, and it will be interesting to see how Koko responds when she realizes that her plan relies on people following what she considers the "rational" train of thought instead of acting based on emotions as they so often do.

Now, as to how controlling spoiler[supply routes will lead to world peace], think back to what Caspar said at the end of episode 8 as he introduced HEK-GG:
Quote:
Since ancient times, the army has basically been a dog tied back by the leash called "logistics." The supply line is both a chain that limits the army's movements as well as a lifeline. Expansion, distribution of supplies, correspondence, maintenance, and construction of facilities: even the most skilled of soldiers are unable to work if you strip that away.

Warfare as we know it today relies on the coordination of millions of parts: supplies have to go to all the right places and arrive on time and missions have to be specifically designed so that planes will make it back to base before their fuel runs out or troops will be able to complete the mission before their food and ammo runs out. Many attacks involve coordination between multiple units from different service branches: you have drones running surveillance, aircraft engaging in bombing runs, heavy artillery units protecting troops from enemy aircraft and helping break down defensive fortifications, ships launching tomahawk missiles, many units of troops on the ground, etc. If Koko spoiler[can succeed in controlling the supply lines and using Jormungand to interfere with communications and information like she did with Night Nine, then the machine that is modern warfare is shattered back into millions of tiny parts. Sure, someone can still pick up a gun and kill someone, and a small group of people can band together and use analog data to wreak a little mayhem, but without access to modern transportation, communications, and supplies their reach is extremely limited. War as we've come to know it: nation against nation, vast army against vast army, becomes virtually impossible. ] It's not 100% world peace, but I'd say it comes pretty darn close.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
I realize that's what's being described. It just doesn't make any sense.

spoiler[Ending warfare as we know it today just means starting warfare as we know it tomorrow, or (in this case) knew it yesterday. Large scale war predates all of the technology Koko intends to control, and what she is doing will level the playing field, allowing war to continue. To pull off what you're describing, she would need her own army to use that technological advantage to subdue others, but she doesn't seem to have any plans to create that.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
has Jonah's age ever been specified, or do we have to make an educated guess?
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
Warfare as we know it today relies on the coordination of millions of parts: supplies have to go to all the right places and arrive on time and missions have to be specifically designed so that planes will make it back to base before their fuel runs out or troops will be able to complete the mission before their food and ammo runs out. Many attacks involve coordination between multiple units from different service branches: you have drones running surveillance, aircraft engaging in bombing runs, heavy artillery units protecting troops from enemy aircraft and helping break down defensive fortifications, ships launching tomahawk missiles, many units of troops on the ground, etc. If Koko spoiler[can succeed in controlling the supply lines and using Jormungand to interfere with communications and information like she did with Night Nine, then the machine that is modern warfare is shattered back into millions of tiny parts. Sure, someone can still pick up a gun and kill someone, and a small group of people can band together and use analog data to wreak a little mayhem, but without access to modern transportation, communications, and supplies their reach is extremely limited. War as we've come to know it: nation against nation, vast army against vast army, becomes virtually impossible. ] It's not 100% world peace, but I'd say it comes pretty darn close.

Like Yttrbio said, that would spoiler[only change war, not end it. At best, it would put it on hold for awhile, but it wouldn't end it completely. Nearly all of the most deadly wars were fought without gps, computers, or any other technology that Koko can control. If she can control every navigating technology, communicating technology, computer, and anything automated, then people would go back to what was used before those things were invented. They would go back to using paper road maps, compasses, and the stars to navigate and paper letters or even telegrams to communicate.]
That's not all that bothers me about her plan though. spoiler[The side effects of her plan alone make it irrational. The economic effects of stopping shipping and worldwide trade, even if it's only temporary, would be catastrophic. Worldwide economic depression, poverty, shortages of virtually everything, higher prices of virtually everything (including necessities like food), how many jobs it would end: the economic side effects alone would probably kill millions depending on how long it would last. All that sacrifice for what? According to Wikipedia's list of ongoing military conflicts, less than 100,000 people have died this year in wars. The civil wars, which account for about half of those casualties, would undoubted continue, as would the drug wars, which account for another 1/5 of the casualties. She'd kill over 7 times as many people in plane crashes and countless more due to economic hardship than are currently being killed in wars. ] She's causing more harm than good no matter how you look at it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I realize that's what's being described. It just doesn't make any sense.

Agreed. I'm disappointed they've gone in such a super dopey direction (although, I'll wait to render final judgement until I see if her plan really is what she laid out to Jonah. I find it hard to believe she so blithely plans to spoiler[kill 600,000+ people).]

I've always used Black Lagoon (which I prefer more) as a comparable. I wish they had stuck on that sort of level instead of this, "mwah-hah-hah-hah, the world let me launch 125 satellites without doing anything about it" nonsense.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Same here. That's why I was hoping to hear the rest of the plan. Unfortunately, if they go to "lolz, just joking," that's almost as bad. I have a belief that the show is more intelligent than either of these approaches, but I'm not sure there's much basis for that belief.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

It's interestingly discomforting. spoiler[She's just nuts. And so is Chief Fatso. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take the message of "this warmongering is not personally rewarding. Maybe I should have stuck with the mass murderer."]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

It would sem that most of Koko's team either has given up on humans, or are too loyal, Jonah on the other hand is not, he wants to believe in people.

Just thinking a bit, but I only just took notice of the opposition between Koko and Jonah, there is height, gender, eye colour and their skin (one is dark, while the other is very pale). If we think about the series name I can come up with some interesting connections, Jormungand is suposed to appear at the end of the world (Ragnarök) and and poison the sky. Its opponent is Thor, the god of thunder, interestingly thunder brings paralels up of guns, a major part of this series. Jormungandr is the child of Loki, the character this most brings to mind is Koko, so Koko is not just Loko she is Loki. A character of Norse mythology also closely linked is the one eyed Odin, such character can be linked to Valmet, or to that guy who got shot in the eye.

Now my theories for what we might get in this series is that Jonah will spoiler[play the part of Thor, and according to wikipedia Thor will manage to kill Jormungandr but will walk 9 paces and die.]

So many world ending anime lately fitting for this being 21/12/2012. Today there is Zetsuen, this, and Robotics;Notes, also decided to beat AC3 today. Oh and an appocolypse movie (Deep Impact) as I am writing this post, just been one of those days.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
With this Koko spoiler[became the most powerful person in the world.
I was surprised Jonah was the only one who tried to stop her.
He was definitely the most bothered by it all.
Interesting how Kasper picked him up]
just at the right time.
Interesting episode.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The ending goes incredibly stupid.

I mean there is positively, absolutely, no need for spoiler[700 000 people in the air to die] whatsoever. Jormungand spoiler[plan could be started on by allowing every plane to land, and not allowing any new plans to raise. The system was shown to be arbitrary specific and deliberate in ways it crack networks to manipulates data; there is no issue doing this plan without victims.] I mean everyone from Koko's team could understand that, even "Jonah".

So instead of interesting concept project, we have have this anime turned into lame dramatisation at this stage.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well a test was not as complex as every spoiler[plane around the world, the idea seems to be too bar the sky which will include even guided missiles.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
looking forward to how all this plays out in the final episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I gave this series a very good rating after I watched it. Sure, it wasn't that exciting especially for the finale but I enjoyed the entertainment and humor from the series. Let's also not forget Koko and her loco face as well as her alpha crew.

From what I can see, this series can expand on soon with that ending. That's all I'll say for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaand her plan is even dumber than I thought. But I guess I could see why it might seem less stupid from a Japanese perspective.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (final)

Now I have to watch season 3, it seems that all the build up they have done the end was just so troll like, spoiler[ending just as she presses the button.] Jonah has aspoiler[ged two years, the world has started to tear itself apart], and Jonah seems to have made some spoiler[decisions about what Koco plans from traveling with the ruthless Kasper]. He decided that both the world and Koko spoiler[are crazy, but he will follow Koko anyway].

Koko's face was sure interesting when she looked at Kasper with a scary look, but the Loco bit with Jonah was indeed more entertaining, Koko is loco. That insert song was indeed interesting, lots of engrish. I am guessing season a season 3 might finally show her father, and Koko may change the world.

I rate Jormungand Perfect Order as "Decent", not too amazing, but still entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21