• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Politically-charged Manga Suspended in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:02 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
That is in fact highly illegal and the text book maker would go to prison for instigating 'rechextremism'. Germany takes a very dim view on holocaust deniers and tends to imprison them.

Not only that, but in the 80's there was a movement of people who felt that German culture and history was forever tainted by the Third Reich, and they had to build something new from scratch. Never amounted to much, but they gave the world Einstürzende Neubauten, so I'm rather fond of them. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Team America was given the NC-17 for a two minute long hardcore puppet sex scene, and was lowered to an R rating after the scene was excised.

Long after I have forgotten the rest of this conversation, the words "two minute long hardcore puppet sex scene" shall remain indelibly incised in my memory. Very Happy

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
"two minute long hardcore puppet sex scene"

Two minutes? Bah. From the director of Deep Throat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also interesting at how strong such a relatively weak complaint got such instant result in censership of the alleged offending photo before it got published.

It WAS published in a weekly manga magazine called Young Jump. That's why it became such a big deal.

When the upcoming tankoubon ("graphic novel") is released, it will be edited. A lot of manga receive touch-ups or changed panels before they're released in tankoubon.. this one just has a lot more publicity than most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jay saenz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I have read a lot about the political problems between Japan and its asian neighbors.

China and Korea wants a formal apology from the japanese goverment over the war crimes that its army comitted in 30's and the 40's during the ocupation, but this have never happened.

I think that the japanese goverment want to ignore and forget the crimes that the japanese soldiers did at China, Korea and all the countries that were invaded by them at WWII. Its a topic that people at the japanese goverment hate to talk about.

Its the same with all the countries engaged at wars, the US oficials hate to aknowleage that their soldiers killed civilians at Vietnam, and that the CIA sponsored dictatorships all over Latin america, for example Pinochet in Chile.

If I could be prime minister of Japan, the first thing that I ll do its to give an apology to the asian people that suffered under the japanese invassion at WWII. Its something so simple... but it take guts to face a past you want to forget.

I m glad that my country its smart enough to have taken away the army because its a waste of money.

Thanks to that wise choice, we can invest in Education, Health and the Enviroment and thats why we have a higher quality of life than the rest of Central America.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
Its the same with all the countries engaged at wars, the US oficials hate to aknowleage that their soldiers killed civilians at Vietnam, and that the CIA sponsored dictatorships all over Latin america, for example Pinochet in Chile.

If I could be prime minister of Japan, the first thing that I ll do its to give an apology to the asian people that suffered under the japanese invassion at WWII. Its something so simple... but it take guts to face a past you want to forget.

Sadly, most politicians (US, Japan, or anywhere else) judge their actions and plan their next moves based on how much votes and supports they can obtain from such an action, not based on reason or justice. A formal apology for war crimes may satisfy other Asian nations, but will certainly enrage right-wing hardliners in Japan and may cost him or his party the next election. Same thing for US politicians on Vietnam, recent Iraq, and many clandestine missions operated by CIA. After comparing what they might gain or lose between the two, most politicians choose not to apologize.

There are also examples of the other far side of the spectrum. While US and Japanese politicians refuse to admit atrocities in order not to lose supporters, some political groups exaggerate incidents to the level of atrocities and try to gain supporters from doing so.

jay saenz wrote:
I m glad that my country its smart enough to have taken away the army because its a waste of money.

Thanks to that wise choice, we can invest in Education, Health and the Enviroment and thats why we have a higher quality of life than the rest of Central America.

I'm glad your citizen and government made a wise choice. However, for most countries in the world (Japan included), whether to keep, expand, or reduce the size of their armed forces is not determined by their citizen or government alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:47 am Reply with quote
I didn't want to comment sooner about this article and about the WWII Atrocities that the Japanese Imperial Government did to the people of China, Taiwan, Philipeans, South Asia and my ancestral country of South Korea (1910-1945).

Many of my family and friends know my stance on this issue and I would rather not say anything further. This is a very sensative issue and will be addressed when the time is right.

People in Japan must be told the truth of what their government did to other countries during the first half of the 20th century. In order to go ahead with the future you must mend the past.

I think YJ should of though of the ramifications of this action. But this was not my decision.

ranmah
gezeo750

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:53 am Reply with quote
I just wonder if the protests started over the falsifacation of the photo, or over the fact that Nanjing was mentioned. If it was over the photo then I can understand. I mean if your going to mention a historical event at least present real evidence, not an already questionable photo that's been altered. Even if it is a work of fiction it shouldn't have been done. If it was over the fact that Nanjing was mentioned then in my opinion I think it's a shame that the people would get all up in arms over the fact that someone brought up a blemish in their nations history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:17 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also interesting at how strong such a relatively weak complaint got such instant result in censership of the alleged offending photo before it got published.

It WAS published in a weekly manga magazine called Young Jump. That's why it became such a big deal.

When the upcoming tankoubon ("graphic novel") is released, it will be edited. A lot of manga receive touch-ups or changed panels before they're released in tankoubon.. this one just has a lot more publicity than most.
Aye?
Quote:
A Shueisha representative said: "Some people say the photo used for reference in the drawing cannot be authenticated. It was inappropriate to use such material."

"The parts related to the use of the photo as pointed out will be edited or deleted when the comic book is published," Shueisha said in reply to the complaint.

I understood that to mean in the Japan Times piece, it hadn't been published yet and would be edited out before it was. It didn't mention the GN bit, which is why I asked how did the "denial police "get wind of it. Never experiencing a Japanese magazine, I thought it was a "comic book" format. Guess I should travel further than Wales then. If only I had the dosh.Wink
enjin2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People in Japan must be told the truth of what their government did to other countries during the first half of the 20th century.

Have you ever see the textbooks of history in Japanese high school? They covers WW2 even with the map indicating when and which root Japanese army invaded in China continent.

It is shameful that those who have not seen them criticize them as if Japan modified the history. I wonder high schools in the West do not teach pupils that.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect Japan to leave that out. The US didn't leave out the slaughter of the Indians, nor the fact that our government took advantage of them. Our textbooks certainly didn't leave out slavery. There's no reason to leave out the bad parts of a nation's history. It's a learning tool.
CFizzLe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
We are also talking about it at our Anime forums at GameFaqs.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=2000121&topic=16891387

Check it out, some interesting stuff.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Quote:
People in Japan must be told the truth of what their government did to other countries during the first half of the 20th century.

Have you ever see the textbooks of history in Japanese high school? They covers WW2 even with the map indicating when and which root Japanese army invaded in China continent.

It is shameful that those who have not seen them criticize them as if Japan modified the history. I wonder high schools in the West do not teach pupils that.

Its not they modified, but things have been completely ignored and glossed over. And that IS a fact. You can keep ignoring it all you want, but its true.
enjin2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its not they modified, but things have been completely ignored and glossed over.

I'm Japanese and I'd like to ask you why I am here if things have been completely ignored and glossed over in my country.

Quote:
And that IS a fact. You can keep ignoring it all you want, but its true.

I'd like to know what do you mean by the fact. There are a lot of books saying Nanking Incident *occured* available in bookstores in Japan. Go and see.
enjin2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The US didn't leave out the slaughter of the Indians, nor the fact that our government took advantage of them.

It has not teach A-bombs correctly. I was surprised that a textbook claims that A-bombs in Japan lead to the peace.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12