• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans Sale of Major Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets to Firm Tied to Saban

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Basically, the only people who oppose this are Super Sentai purists.

I'd classify the toku fanbase i know as Kamen Rider purists. They're still treating Masked Rider like it's Voldemort.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I'd classify the toku fanbase i know as Kamen Rider purists. They're still treating Masked Rider like it's Voldemort.

They want something horrible? They never watched the 4Kids dub of One Piece. Seriously, the only way to go is up after everything they've done. Of course, the weeaboos of the internet still feel compelled to bitch. How can it get any worse than 4Kids? Give me ten good reasons how.

After looking at the comments of this page (http://www.jefusion.com/2012/04/gokaiger-is-mighty-morphin-pirate.html), I never knew how whiny Sentai fans were. Congratulations, you out-wangsted the Transformers fanbase.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
How can it get any worse than 4Kids? Give me ten good reasons how.

4Kids One Piece is still One Piece.

Power Rangers is not Super Sentai. Different actors, different footage, all they take is the concept and re-do everything, only a hundred times worse.

At the end of the day, you're still watching One Piece, but just with heavy edits. Power Rangers is nothing at all like Super Sentai. So yes, Power Rangers is worse than any 4Kids dub, on account that it's not even the same show anymore.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So, 4Kids assets, which the only thing that could be monetized quickly with real value would be the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise, are going on a court mandated auction block.

The "Stalking Horse" is used to establish a minimum bid / lower end in this type of auction. Usually it is a buyer that is willing to purchase the assets in question, but might not have expected to win in a wide open bidding. By becoming the "Stalking Horse" they are at least guaranteed of collecting a certain $ amount of fees for their trouble if their bid is trumped by another interested party.

Who might be interested? Ready for some wild in-the-dark speculation? Let's try to follow the money:

Who has been acting like they might be hoarding funds and not investing in new properties?

Who has been spending money trying to collect on old, possibly expired debts?

Who has a single big franchise that they have been heavily monetizing for a long time and might be getting close to the bottom of the barrel on?

I think you can figure that out just fine.

Mark Gosdin
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

They want something horrible? They never watched the 4Kids dub of One Piece. Seriously, the only way to go is up after everything they've done. Of course, the weeaboos of the internet still feel compelled to bitch. How can it get any worse than 4Kids? Give me ten good reasons how.

After looking at the comments of this page (http://www.jefusion.com/2012/04/gokaiger-is-mighty-morphin-pirate.html), I never knew how whiny Sentai fans were. Congratulations, you out-wangsted the Transformers fanbase.

Uh....Dude.

Have you seen Masked Rider? It was terrible. I mean, downright terrible. Like, after watching the opening alone, I felt my brain die and I'm not even a Tokusatsu fan. Comparing it to the original Kamen Rider, it had god awful acting, terrible pacing and an even worse plot.

And STILL complaining about the One Piece dub? Geez. Give it a break. Forget it exists and move on. Funi has the license now so who cares?

Also;
That was an April's Fools joke. Of course people would be upset.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
How can it get any worse than 4Kids? Give me ten good reasons how.

4Kids One Piece is still One Piece.

Power Rangers is not Super Sentai. Different actors, different footage, all they take is the concept and re-do everything, only a hundred times worse.

At the end of the day, you're still watching One Piece, but just with heavy edits. Power Rangers is nothing at all like Super Sentai. So yes, Power Rangers is worse than any 4Kids dub, on account that it's not even the same show anymore.

That makes it even worse. They took the name "One Piece" and plastered it with a Luffy with no inside voice, a valley-girl Nami, a Zoro/Zolo that makes terrible jokes, an Ussopp that sounds like he's been kicked in the nuts, a Sanji with a terrible accent and attacks that sound like something you'd find on the menu of McDonalds, and Crocodile calling Luffy "a desert doo-doo."

Saban didn't turn Zyu Yellow into a woman and spared Burai. They made the Yellow Ranger a woman and Tommy got to live on. They had the courtesy to make it it's own stories. Of course, weeaboos like you don't like that.

It's better than to make changes and call it something else rather than making it In Name Only. Why do you think Dragonball Evolution is considered better than The Last Airbender?
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
why are we complaining about 4kids selling off Yu-Gi-Oh!? in my opinion, this is great news. i like the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime and to see the dub being mistreated and butchered just disgusts me. 4kids has proven itself to be incapable of working with most anime. now another company will have a shot at working with Yu-Gi-Oh!.

also if Saban gets the franchise, then that wouldn't be too bad. Saban makes more changes to their shows than companies such as FUNimation and Viz Media, but 4kids' edits are more extreme than Saban's. i have watched Digimon (season 1-3), which was dubbed by Saban, and Digimon in my opinion was close to the original material. even with changes, the series was still tolerable and enjoyable. Digimon did edit some of the dialogue and scenes, however they still acknowledged things such as death, kept the overall plot intact, and they kept most of the Japanese names intact. basically i'm saying that when compared to 4kids' editing, Saban is pretty loose and soft.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
They had the courtesy to make it it's own stories.

I don't think "courtesy" is the word most people would use.

Quote:
It's better than to make changes and call it something else rather than making it In Name Only. Why do you think Dragonball Evolution is considered better than The Last Airbender?

Considered by who? You're using weasel words to try to prove your point. TLA made over a hundred million dollars. DBE made less than 10. I'm not sure what factual evidence you're judging that statement on. TLA was a lot more like it's source material.

kaiser11492 wrote:
now another company will have a shot at working with Yu-Gi-Oh!.

A bad company, which is the point people are making. You think Digimon was tolerable, a lot of people do not. Saban is in the same category as 4Kids go as far as dubbing companies. "Samurai Pizza Cats" was an even worse dub than anything 4Kids made.

Last edited by TitanXL on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
yamiangie wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Your so funny. Insulting other fan groups. How are we so different from the groups you have insulted. Hell, Zac probably has chronic high blood pressure keeping the peace in our very own forums.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
You know, i'm pretty sure without Yu-Gi-Oh 4kids can kiss its butt goodbye.

Anywho glad its in Saban's hands now, at least this way we can see DVD releases of the various series (most likely through shout.)

I myself have been wanting A 5D's DVD for quite some time.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Dang, this must be a nail in the coffin for 4Kids, maybe not the last, but it's definitely going to take some serious effort to get it open again. Perhaps this may give them the money they need to become at least slightly more financially stable, since that is a good chunk-o-change.

While I don't like everything Saban's done (Ugh... their TV version of Escaflowne, TMNT The Last Mutation, and Masked Rider), I don't mind Power Rangers (Can't wait for the new DVDs! Very Happy), since I started watching some episodes on Netflix (I never really watched it as a kid). Yeah, it's different from Super Sentai, but in all honestly, I don't care, since Power Rangers isn't supposed to be exactly like Sentai. It's not like dubbing anime into English, which uses most or all of the same footage. Power Rangers is done to bring the Sentai concept to an American audience, which using the original Japanese footage would NOT work, while still making it entertaining. Heck, Power Rangers is even dubbed into Japanese! However, Masked Rider... that was a failure. Power Rangers was done right. It's a show that has never taken itself too seriously, but still manages to make use of it's concept very well, and most of all, it's entertaining. Masked Rider was the exact opposite of all of those. It just seemed lifeless.

BTW, "Saban Moon" was actually made by Toon Makers. Saban has never had anything to do with the Sailor Moon franchise. Toon Makers did a one episode pilot, but Toei declined their concept since DiC's idea of dubbing and reversionizing the original Japanese footage itself was FAAAAAAAR cheaper than making a whole live action series mixed with all new animation.

4Kids had the rights to the first 52 episodes of DBZ (at least the broadcast rights)? Might've been the Saban-edited versions of episodes 1-66 (and about half of 67), which was edited down to 53 episodes. I don't know how it plays into all of this. From the looks of it, it appears as if 4Kids sold several properties to Saban.

As for Yu-Gi-Oh!, I don't really care about that show's future, since it hasn't been good since GX premiered... but whatever happens, happens!

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
"Samurai Pizza Cats" was an even worse dub than anything 4Kids made.

This is a load of horse shit.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I think you're confusing your nostalgia of "I liked it" with "good dub". Objectively, it can't be a good dub when you don't even get the scripts from Japan and have to ad-lib everything and everything is pretty much changed and altered as a result.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
kaiser11492 wrote:
now another company will have a shot at working with Yu-Gi-Oh!.

A bad company, which is the point people are making. You think Digimon was tolerable, a lot of people do not. Saban is in the same category as 4Kids go as far as dubbing companies. "Samurai Pizza Cats" was an even worse dub than anything 4Kids made.

Sometimes you make me want to raise the capital to license Qwaser of the Stigmata, then put it out as an English-only release, dubbed by Arvintel with a script written by a drunk Howard Stern and under the title Super Milk Girls. But hey, it would be uncensored, because I try to respect the intent of the source material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you're confusing your nostalgia of "I liked it" with "good dub". Objectively, it can't be a good dub when you don't even get the scripts from Japan and have to ad-lib everything and everything is pretty much changed and altered as a result.

Hey, I never watched any of Samurai Pizza Cats (assuming this is what you're referring to) until a couple of years ago (heck, I hadn't even HEARD of it), and from what I saw, it looked like a fun series to watch (not my cup of tea, but I got some enjoyment out of it, and can see why people would like it). Sometimes, you just have to get your mind off the fact that it's a Japanese anime and that it may have been (gulp) ALTERED!!!!! I just like to be entertained when I watch something. Yeah there are certain anime that would only work with very accurate dubs (Fullmetal Alchemist, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Akira, etc), but for a fun show like Samurai Pizza Cats, you're only watching to have a good time! Would it have worked with a straight English dub? Maybe (I'm not totally sure what was changed), but many people seem to be just fine with what we've got. Razz Of course, there's nothing wrong with liking the Japanese version either... whatever rocks your boat. People have different tastes. I just don't like it when people bash other people's opinions on this sort of subject and treat their own opinions as fact, when that's not the case (there's obviously no such thing as a "true" or "false" opinion).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5