• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Option for Russian companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Danish/Norwegian

Huh... why is it "Danish/Norwegian"? What's the link between the two languages?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Probably they're very similar (I do not know), you know how nearer they are. I have to believe that were joined because of being similar languages. I'm not an expert about their cultures, thought, so I can't say anything more...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Danish/Norwegian

From the Video List page of Spirited Away at Nausicaa.net:

Nausicaa.net wrote:
Chihiro og Heksene
(Spirited Away)

Format: DVD (PAL, Region 2)
Publisher: Arthaus/Scanbox
Date: 28 January 2004
Catalog #: 6163
Runtime: 124 minutes
Price: NOK199
Notes: Two discs. Japanese (dts, DD 5.1) and Danish (DD 5.1) audio with Danish and Norwegian subtitles. Extras include complete storyboards with Japanese audio or a Finnish commentary track (English subtitles) with Pekka Lehtosaari and Yoshiaki Takayama and a "making of" documentary (Danish or Norwegian subtitles).

Looks like Norwegian have to watch it sub-only, while there are both sub and dub in Danish. Seems like it has Finnish audio channel with English sub too -- what a strange combination, three audio channels and three subtitles with only one (Danish) matched pair. abunai, could you help to find more info on this DVD?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Tagalog, Polish, Portuguese and Swedish are coming up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dan42 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Danish/Norwegian

From the Video List page of Spirited Away at Nausicaa.net:

Nausicaa.net wrote:
Chihiro og Heksene
(Spirited Away)

Format: DVD (PAL, Region 2)
Publisher: Arthaus/Scanbox
Date: 28 January 2004
Catalog #: 6163
Runtime: 124 minutes
Price: NOK199
Notes: Two discs. Japanese (dts, DD 5.1) and Danish (DD 5.1) audio with Danish and Norwegian subtitles. Extras include complete storyboards with Japanese audio or a Finnish commentary track (English subtitles) with Pekka Lehtosaari and Yoshiaki Takayama and a "making of" documentary (Danish or Norwegian subtitles).

Looks like Norwegian have to watch it sub-only, while there are both sub and dub in Danish. Seems like it has Finnish audio channel with English sub too -- what a strange combination, three audio channels and three subtitles with only one (Danish) matched pair. abunai, could you help to find more info on this DVD?

Sure, no problem - it's the same copy I have. What do you want to know?

On Norwegian and Danish:

Norway has two languages/dialects, bokmål and nynorsk. Bokmål is very similar to Danish, whereas nynorsk is an artificially constructed amalgam of a number of western Norwegian regional dialects, plus some added weirdness. Both language dialects are taught to Norwegian kids.

Norway and Denmark were united under the same monarchy in what is known as a personal union (two countries, one king - and effectively one bureaucracy) until 1814 (specifically, until the provisions of the Treaty of Kiel took effect). From 1814 to 1905, Norway was then in a personal union with Sweden.

In 1905, Norway achieved independence for the first time since the middle ages. To kickstart their dynasty, they imported one of the sons of Denmark's king Christian IX, and made him king (just as the Swedes had restarted their dynasty in the 19th century, when the old one died out, by importing one of Napoleon's marshals to found the Bernadotte dynasty).

Clear? There'll be a test next week.

Anyway, the net effect is that Danish and Norwegian are (mostly) mutually intelligible. So is Swedish, but not quite as much - they imported a lot of pseudo-Germanisms into their language in the middle ages, and pseudo-Frenchisms during the 18th and 19th centuries.

And Danish and Norwegian orthography are pretty similar, too - although to a Dane, Norwegian is like "Danish for Dyslexics". Presumably, the reverse applies, too.

Oh, and you're probably wondering how Finland comes into the equation. Well, Finland used to be a province of Sweden. Many if not most Finns speak Swedish to some degree.

Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and the lesser quasi-states of the Færø and Åland islands, together, are considered to make up the Nordic countries. We have a common history, and to a large extent a common culture. We understand each other very well, and like all properly dysfunctional families, we won't allow anyone to bother the other family members, except for ourselves.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2