• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Phony Baloney

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:
Nobody hates BioWare because their games are deliberately moe-centric, yet many people hate Anime that is moe-centric.

Do you see the discrepancy here?

A part of that could be that its physically impossible to play all the games release in a year, while its in the realm of possibility for one person to watch all the anime released in a season, assuming they have convenient access to the content. 50 episodes a week would be under 25 hours ... less than 4 hours a day.

Now, it might be considered silly to do that, but the fact remains that if 10 series in a season are right up your alley, then with what feels like a smaller supply, its a lot easier to fantasize "if only that didn't make that stuff, I'd have more to watch".

That is only boosted by the fact that when someone first gets into anime, there is such a big back catalog to watch their way through, that its quite easy to get into the habit of watching more of the kind of stuff you like in a three month period than is actually normally produced in a three month period. So when you run into catchupitis, its like, "wait, it felt like there was more of the good stuff".

Underneath a good fraction of the animosity is likely to be the particular "if only they weren't making that stuff, they'd be making the stuff I like" fan delusion.
krystallinity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:
Nobody hates BioWare because their games are deliberately moe-centric, yet many people hate Anime that is moe-centric.

A part of that could be that its physically impossible to play all the games release in a year, while its in the realm of possibility for one person to watch all the anime released in a season, assuming they have convenient access to the content. 50 episodes a week would be under 25 hours ... less than 4 hours a day.

Now, it might be considered silly to do that, but the fact remains that if 10 series in a season are right up your alley, then with what feels like a smaller supply, its a lot easier to fantasize "if only that didn't make that stuff, I'd have more to watch".

That is only boosted by the fact that when someone first gets into anime, there is such a big back catalog to watch their way through, that its quite easy to get into the habit of watching more of the kind of stuff you like in a three month period than is actually normally produced in a three month period. So when you run into catchupitis, its like, "wait, it felt like there was more of the good stuff".

Underneath a good fraction of the animosity is likely to be the particular "if only they weren't making that stuff, they'd be making the stuff I like" fan delusion.

So basically you're telling me that the reason for moe hatred is not because of underlying taboos, but because of over-saturation within the market?

I guess then we'd have to point to the reason why over-saturation of moe is inherently a bad thing.

Why aren't moe characters perceived as "normal" characters in Anime? Why don't some Westerners like watching moe Anime? Is it because the characters are stylized in a certain way that's annoying? Is it because some Western fans are uncomfortable with their thought of a "limited" definition of moe (devotion to pre-pubescent girls)?

I really don't think the inclusion of moe limits the potential of storylines; as others have pointed out, we've found moe everywhere from slice-of-life stories, to existential, dystopian Science Fiction epics.

Instead, I believe it's the nature of underage characters--the fact that pre-pubescent looking girls are taking the place of more adult-looking characters--and the current association with moe and underage characters that makes some westerners uncomfortable with its over-saturation, as the delusional definition gets connected with Western taboos.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:

So basically you're telling me that the reason for moe hatred is not because of underlying taboos, but because of over-saturation within the market?

No, that is not even remotely what he said. In fact, I don't know if that could even be reasonably derived from what he said.

Quote:
I guess then we'd have to point to the reason why over-saturation of moe is inherently a bad thing.

No we don't.

Quote:
Why aren't moe characters perceived as "normal" characters in Anime? Why don't some Westerners like watching moe Anime? Is it because the characters are stylized in a certain way that's annoying? Is it because some Western fans are uncomfortable with their thought of a "limited" definition of moe (devotion to pre-pubescent girls)?

I really don't think the inclusion of moe limits the potential of storylines; as others have pointed out, we've found moe everywhere from slice-of-life stories, to existential, dystopian Science Fiction epics.

Instead, I believe it's the nature of underage characters--the fact that pre-pubescent looking girls are taking the place of more adult-looking characters--and the current association with moe and underage characters that makes some westerners uncomfortable with its over-saturation, as the delusional definition gets connected with Western taboos.

That is their problem, I would like them to stop projecting it onto other people.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:
agila61 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Well, then, if we look to the underlying elements at work behind that, everything boils down to "we think this stuff is gross, so they shouldn't make any more of it and should make more things we want to watch."

"Pre-pubescent girls" or not (A non-trivial amount of moé characters are actually around highschool age), it's still a cartoon. They might have Western taboos on their side, but it doesn't really make their talking points any more rational than "if only they weren't making that stuff, they'd be making the stuff I like."
Banden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:
I have never, ever seen moe used as a reference to character devotion in mature video games like Mass Effect, or mature television shows like Star Trek.

Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Question: If moé is a subculture word, and the subculture is what we're discussing, why does that matter at all?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Probably because you don't discuss those things with people who have the otaku vocabulary.

notazaku wrote:
The term "moe" is not typically used outside of the "anime subculture" but the emotion is the same. I grew very attached to Jack Bauer while watching 24, and the constant fear they would kill him off didn't help. Now it would seem odd to call that moe but it is the same feeling I have for say Saber from the Fate/ franchise.

krystallinity wrote:

krystallinity seems to have a poor concept of what a subculture is and how it delineates from mainstream culture. The question has been asked and answered multiple times and they just seem to continue begging the question.

Golfers don't talk about uber-micro and pwning n00bs. Gamers don't talk about developing their control and improving their follow-through. Even though certain concepts might overlap, the member of the culture articulates those thoughts in culturally-defined jargon that fellow members understand. BioWare fans may feel moé about the game, but don't express it that way because that's not the language of the video game culture. Whether some of those players are "aware" of moé terminology is neither here nor there. I am aware of golf terminology, but I don't use golf euphemisms to describe my reactions to anime. That would be silly.

Are we all on the same page now?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
I am aware of golf terminology, but I don't use golf euphemisms to describe my reactions to anime. That would be silly.

Exactly.

Last summer, a group of friends and I went out for drinks, and our waitress was cute, about 4' 6" tall, funny, and had a personality that "bubbly" probably doesn't fully describe.

One of the women at our table said something along the lines of "don't you just want to put her in your pocket and take her home with you?"

Clearly, she was moé for our waitress. But, outside of an anime fan, who would describe it that way?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:
Let me create a topic on the BSN that says "I hate Mass Effect because their characters are too moe-oriented," and let's see how many hundreds of people tell me that I made a stupid topic.

But if I created a topic here that says "I hate K-ON because their characters are too moe-oriented," I'd get people who agree with me, because apparently having devotion to a character who isn't of age yet "is a horrible thing."

I have no particular position on what "moe" is. There really doesn't seem to be any clear definition at this point. If you're going to define moe as the extremely general concept of making a character inspire devotion then you're right that an absolute mountain of characters outside of anime are moe. I can't agree with your end conclusion though that moe hate in anime is merely a result of stigma.

I mean, lets put aside the issue of"moe" for a moment and actually compare Mass Effect with the average moe driven anime.

The character in Mass Effect may be "moe" but they are (at least mostly) also thoroughly unique, interesting, complex and well written characters. I don't think the same can be said of a lot of the characters in moe driven anime. There may well be exceptions but generally we are talking about very cliched, one note characters that inspire a very shallow, superficial devotion from fans. If I'm moe for Tali it is because she's an awesome, endearing character, not because she is superficially cute as in a lot of anime. Also, Mass Effect as a whole is vastly more substantial. It's not like the game is just giving you characters to feel moe for. There is so so so much more there. Again, the same cannot be said of a lot of moe driven anime. You look at a show like K-ON and moe is pretty much all there is.

You're trying to equate Mass Effect and K-ON and maybe you have a point purely in terms of moe. Maybe they're both just as moe. That really just means that fans wrongly call it "moe" though. It is just an issue of people using the wrong word to describe what they dislike about anime like K-ON. It is not that their underlying criticisms are insubstantial. The reason people criticize K-ON but not Mass Effect is because of all these other differences I just described. They don't really hate moe but the do hate moeblob: anime that functions entirely on moe and uses excessive superficial cuteness in lieu of substance to do so.

Show them an anime that has moe characters that appeal to you not through superficial cuteness but by being actual super well written, complex and interesting people. Also make it something with an awesome, epic, mind blowing, SciFi plot. I bet you'll see the same reaction as with Mass Effect. (Or better yet, save your time because I just described Evangelion).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Mass Effect itself might not be the normal anime moe we know, but they know the need to make them act that way to appeal to the Japanese...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/27/teach-me-professor-mordin-introduces-mass-effect-in-manga-form

But yeah, I don't see the Mass Effect characters as being that much deeper. Any extra backstory they get is from it being a 100 hour trilogy versus a 15 hour anime (for K-On), or 5 hours for most moe shows. Obviously these characters will be able to get a bit more developed if the story is significantly larger and on a more epic scale.

And honestly, should we really care about some tragic past or other "character building" things for some moeblob? I know I don't, since thats not what they're made for.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Uhh...Mr. Chicken.

You cannot compare Mass Effect with "generic moe anime", that is most certainly not allowed in any sort of legit argument.

Also, no one compared Mass Effect to K-On, until you did. The comparison is ridiculous because they quite literally have nothing in common at all. I may feel moe for characters from both, but that doesn't count as a point of congruence!

So in the future, please try to argue against points that have actually been made, not the ones that you wish we had made.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, no one compared Mass Effect to K-On, until you did.

Um...did you read the post I quoted?

krystallinity wrote:
Let me create a topic on the BSN that says "I hate Mass Effect because their characters are too moe-oriented," and let's see how many hundreds of people tell me that I made a stupid topic.

But if I created a topic here that says "I hate K-ON because their characters are too moe-oriented," I'd get people who agree with me, because apparently having devotion to a character who isn't of age yet "is a horrible thing."

krystallinity is apparently arguing that because Mass Effect and K-ON are both "moe" but people only criticize the latter, it must be that the criticisms of the latter stem only from stigma. He's certainly making a comparison between the two.

I'm saying that's not valid. They might be equivalently moe but they're completely incomparable otherwise. It is those other differences that account for the differing receptions.

What you're doing here is essentially shouting my own point back at me as if it is a contradiction.

RyanSaotome wrote:
And honestly, should we really care about some tragic past or other "character building" things for some moeblob? I know I don't, since thats not what they're made for.

Yup. That's precisely why "moe" in most anime is different from "moe" if you want to call it that in something like Mass Effect. Moe in anime seem to more often than not become "Moeblob"; insubstantial, superficial cuteness for it's own sake. If that's something you enjoy...well that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Of course, I'm also entitled to find that tremendously trite.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Question: If moé is a subculture word, and the subculture is what we're discussing, why does that matter at all?

Even past that, what about being a subculture word means it no longer has the right to exist?

Whay does what matter? I did not say that it has no right to exist. We're talking about language here, even if I were to think that way, it would still just be me not using that word. But the fact is that there are quite a lot of meanings floating around and a ton of conversations are one side hating on "moe" and other side saying "that's not what moe means". Even when we get down to a simple conversation and someone says: "This girl is moe". What is he actually saying? Obviously it boils down to: "I like her". But beyond that? Is she just cute, does he want to hug her, protect her, do kinky stuff with her, does he love her? And is it an attribute that the character has or simply an impression someone gets from the scene or image? Is that word used as a noun or an adjective? You've established a definition of the word so I would probably know exactly what you're trying to say the next time you use it, but what about the next guy? Does he have his own definition?

The bottom line is that I see that word needlessly complicating things. Without using it I can evade semantic detours and flame wars and talk about characters themselves or what I like about them and be sure that my conversational partner understands me well enough.
KirbyHead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe I read through this whole thing. Crazy.

Anyone, one thing that I wanted to touch upon was that someone keep saying, "You didn't watch X so you can't pass judgement on it, and you're being closed-minded for not spending your time limited watching it!" I disagree with that statement.

I don't like most moe anime. There are exceptions, but they are anomalies. By moe, I mean anime focused on cute teeanaged or prepubescent girls, either with slapstick humour/panty shots, or an (overly) melodramtic plotline that's written to "tug at my heartstrings." I dropped Clannad halfway through, could hardly get through the first few episodes of Lucky Star, and if I ever watch a harem anime, it's for kicks and giggles with friends as we MST it. I'm not going to say any of these shows are Objectively Bad (actually, I might, but my opinion on what's objective is definitely subjective), nor am I going to say you're a Bad Person for watching it. Hell, I love the Star Wars prequel trilogy. I've got no right to tell you not to enjoy things.

That said, I do not need to watch OreImo to know that I won't like it. I don't need to watch Key's latest production to pass a personal judgement on whether or not it is for me. I know what I like, and I've watched enough anime to know what to look for and what to sidestep. If I skim the summary during previews-time and I don't like what I see, why does it make me closed-minded for avoiding it? I'm not going out of my way to avoid "trying something new." I'm simply saving myself the trouble of having to sit through what I believe is the same old stuff repackaged and sold again. I do not want to sit through four or five episodes of a series I already know is not for me, just so I can have fans of the show pat me on the back and say, "well, at least you tried it, unlike those other guys!" If you specifically seek out particular shows because they take elements you like as core material, what is wrong with avoiding a show because they embody elements you don't like? "I know I will like this show for these reasons" is just as reasonable as "I know I will not like this show for these reasons", if you ask me.

I'm not saying don't try anything new. Shows like Haruhi Suzumiya and Oofuri are not in my typical target genre, but surprised me with how much I enjoyed them. (SOme of those anomalies I was talking about.) But I read those summaries and certain aspects of them appealed to me. I do the same with other moe anime and by and large, "harem comedy with useless male lead" or "gratuitous prurient fanservice galore!", or even "cute girls doing cute things, look how cute they are!" is just not going to appeal to me on any level, no matter how you try to sell it.

Essentially, you don't have to taste poop to know that it's poop. Nor must you taste poop every time someone puts it down in front of you on a new plate or with different seasonings. It's still going to be poop to you. Now, what may be poop to me may actually be filet mignon to you, and what I consider some delicious chicken parm might just look like recycled waste to you. I am a-okay with other people disliking or refusing to watch shows that belong to a genre I enjoy. A friend of mine loves siscon anime and side-eyes my love for sci-fi/action. Personally, I think that's a little weird, but I'm not going to call her willfully ignorant because she won't watch what I like. The girl knows what she wants! That's a lot better than purposefully seeking out shows from a genre you already dislike, and then getting disappointed about it and complaining on an internet message board about it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
KirbyHead wrote:

Anyone, one thing that I wanted to touch upon was that someone keep saying, "You didn't watch X so you can't pass judgement on it, and you're being closed-minded for not spending your time limited watching it!" I disagree with that statement.

Well, no.

If you didn't watch something, you don't really get to have an opinion on it past "I didn't watch it, since it didn't appeal to me"

You didn't watch OreImo. Great. Lots of people didn't watch OreImo, and lots of other people did. When discussing OreImo, only the people who actually watched it can have an informed opinion. The best you can do is "I don't think it would appeal to me", any opinion you express past that is completely irrelevant and uninteresting.

Now, if you did watch it, and didn't like it, then you can actually participate in the discussion.

For example. I watched part of one episode of the new HunterXHunter. I decided very quickly I was completely uninterested in it, turned it off, and have proceeded to ignore it completely. I have no opinion on the show, and wouldn't bother even expressing the "I have no interest in that kind of show" unless explicitly asked.

On the other hand, I watched Infinite Stratos, and HATED it. I can go on, at length, about precisely why I dislike it so much, however I generally don't go into IS threads where people are talking about how much they like it and proceed to call them all idiots (even if I think they are).

If you specifically seek out particular shows because they take elements you like as core material, what is wrong with avoiding a show because they embody elements you don't like? "I know I will like this show for these reasons" is just as reasonable as "I know I will not like this show for these reasons", if you ask me.

On the other hand, without actually watching the show, you will never know for sure one way or another if you'll like it. Maybe I would have fallen in love with HxH. I find that unlikely, but possible. I felt the chances were low enough to not bother. On the other hand, I went into IS fully expecting to at least enjoy the experience, at worst come out feeling apathetic. I did not expect to come out of the show actively loathing the entire franchise.

Maybe you'd like OreImo. Who knows? I don't, and you certainly don't, because you didn't watch it.

Edit: Oh yeah, could people please find another analogy than literally EATING SHIT? Because its pretty goddamn stupid of an analogy.
KirbyHead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
I should preface this by saying that it's actually a terrible hour for me to be on and I won't be able to respond for quite a while. Anyway, first things first: I don't think you can tell people what they "get" to have an opinion on. How it works is that people have opinions, and you decide whether they're valid to your discussion or not. You can't stop people from thinking what they think about things, or adding their two cents to the discussion.

And on the contrary: I think I can partake in a discussion about the themes that the show embodies, since I have, as I've mentioned watched enough shows to know that I don't like those themes. I'm not going to comment on OreImo itself, but I believe I'm allowed to comment on the themes and some of the tropes it used if I've experienced those same tropes before. If you mention Ikkitousen during a conversation (which I've never seen) and I express a distaste for over amounts of fanservice after experiencing things like Sekirei (which, regrettably, I have seen), I believe that's still valid to the discussion. Perhaps a different aspect that's not directly related to the plot or characters, but it can be considered part of the discussion nonetheless. If you're talking about how great character X is, nah, I don't have anything important to say. BUt if you're talking about how sexy X is and why don't more shows have girls like her, I might be able to rustle up some steaming , fresh-from-the-oven opinions for you.

I mean, a good portion of the people who complain about Twilight have never seen or read it. But they hear about it, or absorb it through pop-culture osmosis. We don't get on their case for thinking Twilight's bad, do we? No, because A.) Twilight is almost universally considered bad, so it's almost fair game (maybe moe is anime's Twilight?) and B.) many of those people have consumed media with themes close to Twilight's (basically, anything with romance in it), and they have a good idea of what they consider bad romance stories and good romance stories. And they might not be able to comment of specific characters or pull out particular scenarios, but they can sure as hell pick Bella and Edward's relationship apart all they please. Perhaps not as well as those who've read the book, but they can to some extent. I mean, "and then he watched her sleep, and tore the engine out of her car," is a topic that most people could comment on, regardless of whether or not they've read the book.

It's not exactly cool to go storming into a dedicated thread and start whining about a series you've never watched. I'd never raid a Twilight forum. That's time I could spend doing important things, like cleaning the lint out of my jacket pockets. But right here we're not talking about a specific show: we're talking about themes, tropes, archetypes, etc: and I think pretty much any background is fair game here.

Finally, I think poop is a great example, but I was actually thinking up an analogy just for you so let's test this out.

Quote:
I don't like eggs. Never liked the taste. Can't tell you why, as the science of what appeals to people's tastes isn't my jurisdiction.

One day I decide to eat out for lunch. A waiter approaches me and say, "Today you can get either an egg sandwich or a chicken pot pie." I believe this is an odd menu for a restaurant, but even so, I think about my options. On one hand, I don't like eggs, as I've previously discussed. And I love chicken pot pie. On the other hand, these eggs might be prepared differently. Maybe, against all odds, they don't taste like eggs.

"What does the eggs sandwich taste like?" I ask.

"Oh," says the waiter, "very much like eggs. It has a very specific eggy taste that you'll love if you love eggs."

Well, I don't love eggs, so I reason that I'll take the chicken pot pie. I only have enough time during break to eat one, after all. The waiter gives me an accusing look. "You're not even going to try the eggs sandwich?" he asks.

"No. I know what eggs taste like, and I know I don't like them. And you just said it tasted like eggs."

"Yes, but you might like those eggs. You should get it."

Against my better judgement, I get the egg sandwich. The egg sandwich is Lucky Star, and I do not like it at all.

For the purpose of this example, I decide to go back to the same restaurant the next day. Maybe there are no other restaurants close enough for me to get back to work by the time lunch break ends. Whatever. Anyway, the waiter again presents me with a chicken pot pie and an egg sandwich. Having learned better (and having the experience of years of not liking eggs), I tentatively ask how the chicken pot pie is.

"Mediocre," the waiter says, giving me a superior look.

"I'll take it," I say. That chicken pot pie is indeed mediocre, but it's a lot better than the egg sandwich.

I come back the next day, somewhat more confident about the restaurant's standards. Again I am presented with an egg sandwich and a chicken pot pie. "The pie is excellent today," the waiter assures me, "but the egg sandwich has new seasonings and toppings and it's totally reinvented."

"But... does it still taste like eggs?" I ask.

The waiter scoffs. "Of course. The reason why people buy this egg sandwich is because it tastes like eggs. We might have dressed it up a bit, but it is definitely still an egg sandwich. And you should get it."

I still don't like eggs, though. And even if this sandwich is ostensibly new and improved, it was still made with egg-lovers in mind. It is, at its core, a very eggy product, no matter what you sprinkle on it.

"I think I'll take the pot pie," I say.

That egg sandwich is moe. I don't have to taste it to know that I don't like eggs. I'm only going to be disappointed if I eat it, and if I do I'm going to be wasting time that I could be using to eat chicken pot pies of varying quality that I'll still like better than the eggs. This is not Schrodinger's anime. It's not, "oh, I'll never know now!". I can clearly see what's inside the box, and I don't like it. Again, I've got a better handle on what I do and do not like more than anyone I know. I'm me, after all. There are some things I'm a little more fluid with (I generally don't eat cheese, but I suppose it's good on certain things), but there are other things that I have a very good idea that I will or will not like, and it's a bit silly to tell me "you don't know!" when I actually do.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
KirbyHead wrote:
First things first: I don't think you can tell people what they "get" to have an opinion on. How it works is that people have opinions, and you decide whether they're valid to your discussion or not. You can't stop people from thinking what they think about things, or adding their two cents to the discussion.

Your opinion on shows you haven't seen is, in fact, irrelevant except in the most tangential case.

Quote:
I'm not going to comment on OreImo itself, but I believe I'm allowed to comment on the themes and some of the tropes it used if I've experienced those same tropes before

Except if you haven't seen the show, you quite likely don't know what themes and tropes it uses, outside the most general case. Now, perhaps as in your Ikkitousen/Sekirei comparison you may find a compare/contrast situation, though even there, those shows have some pretty significant differences. Though I can say if you dislike one because of the fanservice, you are highly unlikely to like the other. But if you dislike Ikkitousen because of its plot, its entirely possible you may like Sekirei, because their plots are completely different.

Quote:
BUt if you're talking about how sexy X is and why don't more shows have girls like her, I might be able to rustle up some steaming , fresh-from-the-oven opinions for you.

Ok, I'm sure you could. But...so?

Quote:
And they might not be able to comment of specific characters or pull out particular scenarios, but they can sure as hell pick Bella and Edward's relationship apart all they please. Perhaps not as well as those who've read the book, but they can to some extent. I mean, "and then he watched her sleep, and tore the engine out of her car," is a topic that most people could comment on, regardless of whether or not they've read the book.

While I'm 100% sure that Twilight is just as bad as its made out to be, I would not put much stock in an analysis of its plot and characters being done by someone who hasn't seen or read it. I know I do not want to watch/read it, and by having read opinions and analysis by those who have, I can give a fairly detailed description of why. But that is not the same as actually having a direct experience with the work. If someone were interested, I would perhaps direct them to Reasoning with Vampires, to name just one place where actual analysis is being done by someone familiar with the work.

This is also why while I may enjoy such internet reviewers as Yahtzee, The Nostalgia Critic or The Cinema Snob, I wouldn't use their comedy reviews as a basis for me to have a fully informed opinion on a movie/game.

Quote:
It's not exactly cool to go storming into a dedicated thread and start whining about a series you've never watched. I'd never raid a Twilight forum. That's time I could spend doing important things, like cleaning the lint out of my jacket pockets. But right here we're not talking about a specific show: we're talking about themes, tropes, archetypes, etc: and I think pretty much any background is fair game here.

And thats fine, I've never had an issue with people not liking "moe" (though really thats fairly meaningless). I have a problem with people painting vastily divergent shows that they haven't even watched with the same brush because they are supposedly "moe".

Now, if you don't like shows based on 4koma that feature approximately 4 girls going about their daily lives, then it would be fairly safe to say you aren't going to like Lucky Star, K-On or A Channel. On the other hand, Lucky Star is pretty different from K-On and A Channel when you boil down past that basic description, so if you've only watched Lucky Star, and said that based on that, you probably wouldn't like K-On or A Channel, I would suggest that while that may be true, you won't know unless you try. Now if you still don't want to bother, fine, but experience with Lucky Star is not going to give you a good base for judging the other two, because they are very different in almost every other way. On the other hand, if you don't like K-On, its quite likely you aren't going to like A Channel.

Finally, I think poop is a great example, but I was actually thinking up an analogy just for you so let's test this out.

Quote:

That egg sandwich is moe. I don't have to taste it to know that I don't like eggs. I'm only going to be disappointed if I eat it, and if I do I'm going to be wasting time that I could be using to eat chicken pot pies of varying quality that I'll still like better than the eggs. This is not Schrodinger's anime. It's not, "oh, I'll never know now!". I can clearly see what's inside the box, and I don't like it. Again, I've got a better handle on what I do and do not like more than anyone I know. I'm me, after all. There are some things I'm a little more fluid with (I generally don't eat cheese, but I suppose it's good on certain things), but there are other things that I have a very good idea that I will or will not like, and it's a bit silly to tell me "you don't know!" when I actually do.

And...? While I get the analogy, I don't think its particularly relevant because "moe" is a significantly more abstruse concept than "Eggs".

Not to mention, if someone comes up and asks you "How is the egg sandwich at that restaurant", if you said "not very good", that would be, well...wrong. Because you don't know. You know that you probably wouldn't like it, and thus didn't have it, but you can't actually express an opinion on its quality. The most you could honestly say is "I don't know, I didn't bother to try it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 25