• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Razmig Hovaghimian, Co-founder and CEO of Viki.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
As interesting and awesome this site sounds....fansubs are not reliable when it comes to quality at all. I have large amounts of skepticism for the overall quality of the subtitles for the shows.

The problem here is that everyone has their own way of defining what is 'quality'. Basic issues like spelling and grammar aside, the community has always been at odds regarding issues like Literal versus Liberal translations, accuracy, cultural flavor, language nuance, naturalness, honorifics, etc... Something that you might consider to be of 'good quality' might not be 'good' for others and vice versa.

Which suggests that the site might look into having both a normal English category and a "with honorifics" category as well, as Nozomi does for their Maria-sama ga Miteru subtitles.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
There's another problem, too. How can we be sure that we'll get actual translations and not "gag subs"? What's to stop fansubbing groups from constantly submitting subtitles that don't actually translate the show at all? I want to watch subtitles that actually translate the show and not simply be a parody and/or commentary of either the series, anime in general, or other off-topic subjects, also, what's to stop fansubbing groups from constantly submitting translations that (actual translations or not) are riddled with swearing throughout (e.g., f-bombs every other word/sentence), especially on shows that are meant to be family-friendly? Not everybody wants to see stuff like that (I know I don't; just saying), and don't get me started on translations that inconstantly switch between one or more translation "styles".

There has to be some way that both the site and the community (meaning us) can keep out most if not all of the translations that are annoying, and/or otherwise inappropriate, as well as those that don't actually translate the show at all. Having said all this, I still plan to support the site, especially if it's actually possible to have "legal fansubs" (by which I mean, legal to publicly distribute; fansubs themselves aren't illegal). (sigh) I just wish I was more proficient as Japanese (I'm fairly good at understanding some of it without a translation, but not good enough to actually translate an entire show).
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
There's another problem, too. How can we be sure that we'll get actual translations and not "gag subs"? What's to stop fansubbing groups from constantly submitting subtitles that don't actually translate the show at all? I want to watch subtitles that actually translate the show and not simply be a parody and/or commentary of either the series, anime in general, or other off-topic subjects, also, what's to stop fansubbing groups from constantly submitting translations that (actual translations or not) are riddled with swearing throughout (e.g., f-bombs every other word/sentence), especially on shows that are meant to be family-friendly? Not everybody wants to see stuff like that (I know I don't; just saying), and don't get me started on translations that inconstantly switch between one or more translation "styles".
There's nothing stopping people from submitting troll subs, but the subs are vetted by the community; if they're obviously wrong, they're going to get rejected. This is discussed somewhat in the second question.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

There has to be some way that both the site and the community (meaning us) can keep out most if not all of the translations that are annoying, and/or otherwise inappropriate, as well as those that don't actually translate the show at all. Having said all this, I still plan to support the site, especially if it's actually possible to have "legal fansubs" (by which I mean, legal to publicly distribute; fansubs themselves aren't illegal). (sigh) I just wish I was more proficient as Japanese (I'm fairly good at understanding some of it without a translation, but not good enough to actually translate an entire show).

Because unless the entire group on a show is in on the joke, that won't fly. And not everyone will.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Sweet deal. Sign me up if needed. I'd love to help translate.

TheHTRO wrote:
(sigh) I just wish I was more proficient as Japanese (I'm fairly good at understanding some of it without a translation, but not good enough to actually translate an entire show).

Don't give up. Keep on a studying.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
this is like user-generated site and a video site then add subtitles together.
After seeing enough about DMCA, Chiller Effects, Copyright infringement, fair use and © "insert year" on every show, movie, site including freedom of speech, I wouldn't expect another cease & desist to third parties, monetary and non-profit site instead of viral sites until now
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:

Because unless the entire group on a show is in on the joke, that won't fly. And not everyone will.

Yeah, they said in the interview the people vote on what works best. And I doubt the majority of people are going to want to troll us.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Razmig Hovaghimian isn't a name; it's an invocation to summon an elder god.

I wonder if would ever consider using something other than plurality voting, which I presume is their method, to choose the subtitles. This seems like a good case for the modified Borda Count, Condorcet Method or *grrrr* range voting. It shouldn't be too tricky to implement, might mitigate the emergence of any disciplined 'ideological blocks' (i.e. an 'always retain honorifics' crowd or 'yen to dollars' yahoos) and smooth potential controversies out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
This takes me back when Tofu had that interview.

Candy Candy? People really like that show? Rose of Versailles? I wouldn't mind Rose of Versailles coming out on DVD someday.

Note to all. Live-eviL fansubbed both Candy Candy and RoV in the past Razz
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
I always find the topic of fansubs and "professional" subs to be interesting.

Fansubs are obviously targeted to an audience that is already familiar with simple Japanese honorifics and grammatical structure. Professional subs are targeted towards a more normal English speaking audience.

But the funny thing is, is that most people who actually watch anime at all, subbed, dubbed, fansubbed etc, are people who would understand Japanese enough to appreciate fansubs more anyways.

But then again, I always find it difficult to introduce subbed anime to my friends, mostly because for Americans, having to watch something with subtitles is unheard of, especially if there are weird Japanese words and honorifics that most Americans are familiar with.

Having the option, for streaming content or even future DVDs, to choose between a conservative fansub and a more liberal sub might not be a bad idea.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
this is like user-generated site and a video site then add subtitles together.
After seeing enough about DMCA, Chiller Effects, Copyright infringement, fair use and © "insert year" on every show, movie, site including freedom of speech, I wouldn't expect another cease & desist to third parties, monetary and non-profit site instead of viral sites until now

Meaning? The second sentence above is several sentences smooshed together. Please unsmoosh them. okay, thanks.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
So what's stopping the site from simply ripping subs from other fansub groups and not crediting them? Wouldn't someone be able to simply provide fansubs verbatim and just see which lines get approved and modified and just label themselves as a different person/group and no one would be the wiser?

I understand that this is all a "for the community" and an effort to learn new languages and everything is supposed to be FUBU, but didn't crunchyroll have this issue? And as long as this is a for profit organization, won't this always be the issue that stands in regards to community based projects?

Also, how are issues in regard to a community split handled? To be more clear, certain shows have extreme peculiar and/or non-existent mannerisms. Shows like Ika Musume would be an example. There are those who would prefer puns and those who would like something else, and as far as I know, many translators (fansub or commercial) are also split in this way. How is a manager supposed to handle this sort of situation? A mix would generally be disastrous as the lack of consistency wouldn't help one "learn" a new language at all. I know for a fact certain historical korean dramas use a modified speech pattern that retains a bit of the way the language was spoken back then but with a slightly revised vocabulary to avoid words which were too archaic (think shakespeare but every so often replacing "wherefore" with "why").

What? That's like me stealing you car, giving it a paint job, and demanding that you get credited or paid for the work. That's a racket.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fansubs are obviously targeted to an audience that is already familiar with simple Japanese honorifics and grammatical structure. Professional subs are targeted towards a more normal English speaking audience.

This argument is so ridiculous it's not even funny.

The entire point of a translation is to--get this--[i]translate one language to another[i]. Preserving the grammar and structure of the original languge is the hallmark of a bad translation.

This is why I cannot take fansubbers seriously. They've managed to delude themselves in a ridiculous pseudo-hipster way that their badly done translations are "better" than professional ones through this "purism" BS.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is why I cannot take fansubbers seriously. They've managed to delude themselves in a ridiculous pseudo-hipster way that their badly done translations are "better" than professional ones through this "purism" BS.

Talking about "fansubbers" as if they are a homogeneous bunch is rather ridiculous, don't you think? Some groups have been translating anime and live-action Japanese shows for years. Groups like Live-eviL don't even bother to try and sub contemporary shows; most of their efforts these days are directed at older classics like Yawara and Future Boy Conan. Groups that are into "speed-subbing" are a different story. They obviously trade off accuracy and nuance for speed of release.

Also some of the professionals subbing shows on services like Crunchyroll and for DVD licensors began as fansubbers.

Personally I would love to see Viki concentrate on shows like Dennou Coil or Mononoke which remain unlicensed in R1 despite having a contingent of fans who list these shows in discussions of the shows most deserving of an R1 release. Often these shows have high ratings on sites like this one despite being unavailable in any format other than fansubs. Looking at the Viki site from the US I see only a handful of anime shows; most of them are K-dramas.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 6 times in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Strurgeon's Law: 90% of everything is terrible.

Yes, there's the 10% who are really good. There's also the 90% who suck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3