• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - For God So Loved The Laserdisc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
The only thing worse would be to end a series on a cliffhanger with no sequel. I can't think of one off the top of my head but there's got to be an anime that ends like that.
You just have to watch alot more anime mate, including the older titles.
notazaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
@Mohawk52
Oh I've been an anime fan for over ten years but I just can't recall which anime series I've seen that ended like that. This is a case of having seen too much anime that I'm having difficulty remembering exactly what they were. Laughing I am thinking less about anime that intentionally end on a cliffhanger Sopranos style though and thinking more about shows that were "to be continued" but never were. In fact you're right that there are probably old ova series that ran out of money and remain unfinished that I've either never bothered with or heard of.

I do seem to remember an anime ending with two characters about to fight/kill eachother, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Now that's a pretty bad way to end a show.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:

I do seem to remember an anime ending with two characters about to fight/kill eachother, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Now that's a pretty bad way to end a show.

X/1999 maybe?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
About endings:

I remember reading that in Japanese culture, it's preferred to make endings very vague and open-ended, in contrast to the Western ideal of "tie up all the loose ends".

This is merely anecdotal, of course.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Spiral is one that immediately come to mind for me.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy closure, so often times I'll wait for a series to finish and look at the feedback before I pursue it...or just check out the source material instead (if I can)

I've definately been burned one too many times.
notazaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
X/1999 maybe?

Possibly, I may never remember exactly which anime it was. spoiler[Shikabane Hime/Corpse Princess] and spoiler[Venus Versus Virus] also ended with inconclusive fights to the death if I recall correctly. There are probably more too.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
spoiler[Kite: Liberator was totally this.] It literally stopped in mid-frame as though someone cut the filmstrip and never spliced it back together.
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
the mental image of God Himself, His Holiness, cracking open a beer and flipping over a ridiculous Laserdisc, and having to get up halfway through Taxi Driver to switch to Side B, is amazing. Thank you.

Oh Brian, how silly you are... God obviously has one of those LD players that moves the laser around so that you don't have to flip the disc! I have one of those, and it's awesome. I bet God's LD player also plays CDs, VCDs, DVDs, & BDs, too.

Thanks for pointing that out to Brian, Lord Geo. I thought everybody knew God owns an HLD-X9 (http://laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_hld-x9/pioneer_hld-x9.htm) with its case made from the remains of a neutron star Smile
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The standard industry term which is used when an overseas studio takes it upon themselves to enhance or improve certain scenes in animation is known as "plussing."

Used in a sentence: "TMS really plussed the heck out of that Clayface episode."

You, too can speak like a pro! Very Happy
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Endings: Whoever gave Highschool of the Dead the cop-out it got must be shot. Same goes for the people who gave the following other shows lousy endings: Trinity Blood, Air Gear, Rave Master, Tokko, Fruits Basket, Great Teacher Onizuka, Project ARMS (Really? A spoiler[fuckin' CLIP SHOW?] Is that how you end the show?) Rave Master, The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Six episodes wasn't CLOSE to enough, and changing the dub cast does NOT help!), Big O (I'm still in the camp that demands Sunrise and Adult Swim make a third season instead of polluting their channel with live-action crap and Retard Tim and Asslicker Eric)--we fans are entitled to better endings! The fans of Mass Effect are right about their game and we're right about anime! Thou shalt not end thy show with a shitty cop-out ending! TIE UP THE LOOSE ENDS. There's no excuse for a shitty ending. We fans deserve better.

Region codes: Get rid of them! Why must they exist? There's no reason for it! What if I buy a perfectly legit DVD in one country and I want to watch it in another? What if I travel a lot? Whoever had the idea to implement region coding should be strung up until their feet quit kickin'! These rules do nothing more than treat the customer like a goddamn animal! (While we're at it, stop the user operation prohibition flags! I should not have to be forced to watch a trailer! We never had this problem with VHS; why force it on us with DVD and Blu-ray? Whoever came up with that idea should be shot!)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
For HotD, it ended that way because it reached the interim between two arcs in the manga. It's not an original or rewritten end, it just doesn't continue where the manga goes on further. I wouldn't consider those legitimate bad ends, they're just open for when or if a sequel series is even made. It's a really common problem in anime, but it's better than introducing filler or conceiving an anime-original ending that's brainless, like Claymore's.

Quote:
These rules do nothing more than treat the customer like a goddamn animal!

That's the point. You are an animal, with money. They want to control your buying ability, and take your money.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
God needs no videos. All he needs is some popcorn and a window to the world below and he's all set.

*cough*

I've pretty much hardened my feelings toward bad endings, since I've seen so much of them. They don't bother me much at all. But on that same note, if a series ties itself up really nicely, I give my applause. I absolutely love a good ending, even if I don't mind open-ended or messed up endings.

This might be why I like prequels that tie into the original source material, like Fate/Zero. The ending has already been decided. We know what's supposed to happen because it has been told to us in Fate/Stay Night a few times already. But because we know this, we're along for the ride and not really worried about the ending. Instead, we're paying attention to the characters and how they develop from one drastically different person into the person we get to know/learn about in the source material. And thus, we understand them so much more...
Actually, I have to say that Fate/Zero's anime doesn't do the character development thing for me that well. It played through the events of the first two novels that were meant to develop the characters really thoroughly... but without all the context (and without emphasizing the inner conflicts of each of the characters), all I felt was that it dragged on uninterestingly (most of the time). I swear I would not have been affected that dramatically by spoiler[Lancer's death] in last week's episode had I not read the first two novels to prepare for the second half of the anime. Thankfully, the second half is meant to develop and conclude the plot, where everything from the first half is put to the test. There's less underlying development, so it should be easier to adapt.
And, to tie all that up with this topic, I will admit that Fate/Zero is currently my favorite anime this season, not including the first half from the fall season. So much intense emotion... and there are no disturbing cliches. But again, it probably comes from the fact that I know and understand everything from the first half in excruciating detail, so my understanding and attachment to the drives of all the characters fighting each other to the death by any means possible is enhanced nearly ten-fold.

The flop for me? Well, I've got plenty of experience in knowing where to look for shows I know are generally accepted as good, so I don't have many complaints about the things I've watched so far... but Medaka Box was definitely a disappointment. I should have known that the thing I love about NISIOISIN and his works only comes out pretty shallow in manga, where his long speeches and fun dialogue have to be shortened drastically to fit the form of media--the case being that Medaka Box is originally a manga that the anime is adapting. To think I would lump a story by my favorite author into a rank 2 (out of 5) by my own standards, rendering me reluctant to continue watching... It's not exactly horrible, but I just don't find it exciting or interesting.

Eureka Seven AO comes into a close second for favorite anime this season (at least, the one with the most potential for greatness), and I'm also a sucker for sentimental series like Uchuu Kyoudai and Sakamichi no Apollon, which are also extremely strong for me. I rarely have a season of anime where I can place five or more anime into a rank 4 straight from the beginning. I'm happy to say that this season is just that. =3
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
We are already "all digital" in our media so analogue technology is now basically archive material only. Yes there still are analogue equipment in use, but with every decade more and more will be finally "retired" until things like CRT teles, or anything that supported video tape technology will be relegated to attics, basements, and recycling facilities. Also because video tape was based on a electro magnetic concept it is naturally susceptible to degradation from the Earth's electro magnetic field, the same one that points your compass north, so anyone who buried a "time capsule" of their high school graduation of 1972 for 100 years thinking it would be just as high resolution as say a 35MM film of 100 years, were sadly misguided because even if they buried the tape deck to play it back on in 2072. I doubt there will be enough discernable information on the tape to see apart from white noise and glitches. What's changing at an all too fast pace is the technology and gadgetry to retrieve those digits on to in an analogue form that we as natually analogue creatures can enjoy. Everytime I read about what the computer and medical R&D facilities are colaborating on, the more and more I see a world like GiTS becoming a reality. So having said all that; a DVD or Blueray will probably have more chance of being of any use in 2072 than any VHS tape by then, as I'm sure someone will have invented a conversion interface firmware that will allow you to download the entire DVD into your ceribralpicoprocessor connected to the USB10 ports on the back of your neck and then you can enjoy classics like KnJ projected on to your optical nurons whilst relaxing in your bathtub. Fortunately I won't be around to see it happen. Wink
Digital is superior quality to analogue, just look at the quality of digital photos compared to photos that have to be developed.

The big problem is whether playback devices even exist in a download-only future that's obviously a rip off.

When you buy a hard copy you are, in practical terms, buying something physical. If the data wasn't physically present on the disc (as in physically burned into the surface of the disc by a laser), you'd be entitled to a refund. Obviously if you don't even get a hard copy anymore due to the "intellectual property" scam, the whole issue of reselling collectibles no longer exists (and for that matter you won't even have a digital-only copy if the anime isn't licensed anymore and the hard drive goes down).

Like the Japanese I have no problem buying the hard copy and the box art. But if everything does go download only I'm not going to pay for fudge all, I'm going to download for free. If the industry's moving in a direction where I don't even get a hard copy, I'm not going to let 'em rip me off, I'll pirate.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Digital is superior quality to analogue, just look at the quality of digital photos compared to photos that have to be developed.

Actually, according to photography experts, film is vastly superior to digital pictures.

Also, as another example, records, when built to the standards of modern-day equipment, are apparently MUCH higher quality than CDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5