• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I see that Sony has the license to this anime.

What I want to know if anyone knows if they still do?

I just got into the show and I was looking for the DVDs, only to find they're oop...mostly been like that for a while. The first DVd came out in 2008, they licensed the anime in 2006.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
All of it is still up on Netflix so I guess "maybe", though I'm a little foggy on how those kinds of copyrights work
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
This probably should be posted in retail section. WTK would probably know the answer to this. I also seem to recall that there were some issues with the dubbing (I maybe wrong) that Sony decided not to address.
EnriqueC17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
What's up with this show? I've been looking for this anime too but I can't find it aswell. Every time I search for the dvds their either no longer available or really expensive and I mean pricey.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
EnriqueC17 wrote:
What's up with this show? I've been looking for this anime too but I can't find it aswell. Every time I search for the dvds their either no longer available or really expensive and I mean pricey.

That's because it's OOP, meaning out-of-print. That's why I'm trying to figure out if they're still sitting on the rights or lost it. I hate it when companies still have the license and do nothign with them...at least reprint them while you have it. This is what I hated when Funimation was in charge of printing Geneon's anime...Geneon still had the rights for most up until 2011, but they stopped printing the sets WAY before that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
The first thirteen episodes from Animax Asia are up on Sony's Crackle site: http://www.crackle.com/c/Blood. I believe these are the R4 dubs, but I'm not sure.

I would imagine they will complete the series eventually, though with Sony you never know for sure.

All fifty episodes are available at Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/blood. I prefer Crackle because there seems to be less advertising.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Those website do me no good. I can't stream. I'm asking about the DVDs. I NEED to know if Sony still has it.

And I want the dub with Freeman playing the main guy, meaning the version that aired on Adult Swim years ago.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Does Sony still have the license for Blood+? Almost certainly. Aniplex is on the production committee for the show and Sony is Aniplex. So in a sense, the licensor, distributor and producer of this show is all the same company.

Will Sony re-release the title so that buyers don't have to pay OOP prices? Only Sony knows; I doubt anyone who posts here does.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
In all likelihood, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment still has Blood+. The R3 Korea set 1 (very close to the U.S. release with English sub/dub) went OOP earlier this year. It has been said that Manga UK was able to acquire/release this series (something to do with the dub availability if I recall correctly).

In all, there is just no way to know. SPHE simply don't share this type of information to the public. I personally don't expect a re-release anytime soon (if at all).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
You see a company recusing this title when they can finally have at it?
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
Very, very low chance (if at all). Sony (at various level) are known to sit on licenses (Kurozuka, Nodame Cantabile Season1, Ultraviolet: Code 044, Viper's Creed,...). The fact that Manga UK can't get the series pretty much says that there are issues on acquiring this (from Sony).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Blah, companies shouldn't be allowed to sit on licenses. And I doubt they even tried to sell the anime. What's the point of having it if you stop selling it?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Blah, companies shouldn't be allowed to sit on licenses. And I doubt they even tried to sell the anime. What's the point of having it if you stop selling it?

Because it wasn't selling well? Thats the most likely reason.

They released it, it probably didn't sell well, so they let the boxset go OOP. Its probably just as simple as that, which is also why I doubt they would bother re-releasing it again eventually (if ever).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I find it bad business for anime companies, that still have the license, to let a title go OOP.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
But see, thats the thing. Sony isn't an anime company. They're an electronics/movie company that ended up releasing afew anime titles. And since they're not an "anime company" per se, they don't behave like one (i.e. trying to keep everything constantly in print like FUNi, Sentai, etc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2