• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you loathe.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking that I never really hate any characters and that I would stay away from a discussion about people trying to be negative, but then I remembered 3 characters from series that I totally despise, and from the same series.

The series is Bleach, and the characters are a big part of why I stopped watching, because they do things to make us like them as they are supposedly good guys:

Mayuri Kurotsuchi - the captain of squad 12, a mad scientist who takes pleasure in inflicting pain on others, acting as if he can do what ever he wants, but freaks out if someone does something against him. He is cruel, hypocritical, egotistical, and completely devoid of any morals.

Yumichika Ayasegawa - A man who continuously throws his supposed beauty into the faces of other people, while he is ugly on the inside. He acts like his looks mean that he is better than everyone else, and that he has a right to remove anything he deems ugly. There is a list I could make, but the last straw in his acts was his battle with a guy that the show designed to be unfashionable, and that was supposedly his biggest crime. The other guy actually said something along the lines that beauty is on the inside, but no we were meant to go for this pretty boy prick.

Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto - The ignorant head captain, who refuses to understand anyone's point of view, and that they could have a good point. And when he has been shown to be wrong, will use the fact he followed rules exactly to remove any blame he rightly deserves for be manipulated. To him, everything he does not understand, or people who think opposed to him, are enemies to be eliminated. The worst bit being what good things he could achieve if he actually had an open enough mind.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Let me simplify it for you: a number(possibly the great majority; I don't feel like counting right now) of Kagami's outburst were deliberately caused by Konata, who herself can be downright sociopathic at times.

While I can't always blame Kagami for yelling at Konata (because Konata can be rather outrageous lol) , there's just something about Kagami that screams "SNOB!" to me. I can't really explain it but...I don't know. She just feels like a stuck-up character.

I agree with Polycell, I would't call Kagami a snob, I wouldn't even say she's tsun as she is often labelled. She just seems to be a product of someone being stuck between a useless sister and a relentlessly sardonic friend. She was the one character I felt sorry for in the whole show... Well, maybe Kuroi sensei too. That Christmas episode was too tragic.
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
I really dislike whiney characters. Renton comes to mind immediately. I also dislike goody-two-shoes characters...

Except for Belldandy...she's like my anime love. And not because of any of that misogynistic stuff either...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Except for Belldandy...she's like my anime love. And not because of any of that misogynistic stuff either...

Suspiciously Specific Denial.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
@ dtm42
The site you link to is incomplete. It should point out that Freud first identified that move, in his essay on "Negation". (Classic example: "I'm not sure what that particular element of my dream could possibly represent... But it's certainly not my mother!")
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:

I agree with Polycell, I would't call Kagami a snob, I wouldn't even say she's tsun as she is often labelled. She just seems to be a product of someone being stuck between a useless sister and a relentlessly sardonic friend. She was the one character I felt sorry for in the whole show...

o_o

You felt "sorry" for her? That's odd to me...I always thought she could stand to loosen up a bit. She's so damn uptight...it's like she's incapable of having fun or something...

Yeah, Kagami, take that stick outta your BUTT. Anime hyper
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Riddley wrote:

Haha, busted!

Chiibi wrote:
Pixelationist wrote:

I agree with Polycell, I would't call Kagami a snob, I wouldn't even say she's tsun as she is often labelled. She just seems to be a product of someone being stuck between a useless sister and a relentlessly sardonic friend. She was the one character I felt sorry for in the whole show...

o_o

You felt "sorry" for her? That's odd to me...I always thought she could stand to loosen up a bit. She's so damn uptight...it's like she's incapable of having fun or something...

Yeah, Kagami, take that stick outta your BUTT. Anime hyper

I guess being the lone "straight" character for all the other crazies to bounce off of, Kagami is one of the characters in Lucky Star I can more easily empathise with. I find her failure to be honest about her feelings quite sweet too, I mean it's a classic anime troupe but she wears it well.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Albert from Gankutsuou. He nearly ruined the series for me. Incredibly stupid, naive, annoying and an absolutely horrible judge of character. He ignores all of his friends' advice and the suspicious goingons and instead just throws hissyfits because his massive mancrush on the Count completely blinds him to the obvious.

Funny that I would also like to name a character from Gankutsuou. However, for me it is Maximillian Morrel. His stupidity, his complete lack of self-restraint, and his self-serving rants against the nobility and Franz motivated by his lust somehow made a character that I dislike even more than in the book when spoiler[he coerced Valentine to elope with him by threatening suicide.] I ragequit the series upon his speech in the boat in episode 4, and I'm not sure when I'll pick it up again.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
There's only one character that comes to mind that I loathe.

That would be Quess Paraya Gundam: Char's Counterattack. A spoiled brat, she changes loyalties merely because she gets rejected by Amuro and is blindly manipulated by Char, who cares nothing about her but her newtype abilities. Couple that with her looking down on everyone and calling a boy her own age a child, makes for a character that deserves nothing but the contempt that I feel for her.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
I hate Near from Death Note. He stole L's thunder.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Riddley wrote:

LOL well played Smile

I was trying to stymie the obvious femmie comments, but I sabotaged myself hehe
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
There are very characters I seem to outright loathe. Sure, replacement goldfish are never as good as the original, but I don't tend to actually loathe them. Whiny useless shojo heroines? I don't tend to like them by any means, but I tend to drop those before I outright loathe them. But it happened, I found a series that I wanted to keep watching because most of the characters were pretty cool, but the character that slowly grew to hog up most of the screen time has become one of my least favorite characters ever. And it's precisely because she's the sort of jerk you've probably met before irl. Kusakabe from Genshiken, she absolutely ruined the show for me. I get that she's supposed to be the normal, non fan, but she spends her entire time complaining that anime and manga suck and putting down the rest of the cast for liking it. She's like any jerk out there who calls you a child for liking anything he or she doesn't understand, and why she got the most screen time and was the closest thing to a main character is beyond me because she is one of the worst characters I think I've ever seen.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It's a while since I've seen Genshiken, but isn't Kasukabe important because she's the character around Sasahara who reflects to him his uncertainty about what he's becoming? It can't just all be mutual admiration or there's no work of self-acceptance for Sasahara.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
Funny that I would also like to name a character from Gankutsuou. However, for me it is Maximillian Morrel. His stupidity, his complete lack of self-restraint, and his self-serving rants against the nobility and Franz motivated by his lust somehow made a character that I dislike even more than in the book when spoiler[he coerced Valentine to elope with him by threatening suicide.] I ragequit the series upon his speech in the boat in episode 4, and I'm not sure when I'll pick it up again.

Can't speak for the novel as I haven't gotten around to it yet, but to be fair to Maximillian, Anime Franz bluntly admits in that scene that he's going to marry Valentine even though he's not in love with her. That's a crummy thing to do to her especially considering she's his friend. Of course, the series eventually reveals that Franz' situation is extremely complicated. spoiler[They're not in a "they can eventually grow to love eachother" situation. Franz is gay. There is zero zip nada chance that he could have a successful marriage with her or any other woman - which is pretty disasterous for him in a society that wouldn't understand or accept that.] Maximillian doesn't have that information, but he nevertheless senses that there's at least a possibility of a real relationship between himself and Valentine that there isn't between her and Franz.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
It's a while since I've seen Genshiken, but isn't Kasukabe important because she's the character around Sasahara who reflects to him his uncertainty about what he's becoming? It can't just all be mutual admiration or there's no work of self-acceptance for Sasahara.

Maybe that happened in the manga or in season 2 of the anime, but in season 1? They barely talk to each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18