• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Requiem for the Phantom: question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stagdag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi all!

I've recently got into anime (I was once an anime hater) and I've really enjoyed the more shoot-em-up style shows with good dubs like Black Lagoon, Darker than Black, Noir, Madlax, Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Requiem for the Phantom, Gunslinger Girl, and a couple of others. Right now I'm watching Caanan.

I was curious...this thing I can't figure out about "Phantom" has been bothering me. At the very end of the series, spoiler[do both Ein and Zwei die, or just Zwei?]

Thanks!
PMZ
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
First, welcome to the forums!

Second, a couple of issues about your first post. When asking a question about a specific series, you really should put the series' title in the subject line. Also, when bringing up details about the later stages or end of a series (as you did), you are expected to use spoiler tags.

This time I've edited your post to account for both of these, but please keep these in mind for next time.

And since I haven't seen that series all the way through, I'll have to leave it up to others to answer your actual question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stagdag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry, I did not know about the spoiler tag thing.

I will do it right in the future!

PMZ
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I interpreted that spoiler[both Ein and Zwei died. IIRC, Zwei was shot by the cart driver - we could heard a slight gunshot as he went pass Zwei. On the other hand, Ein's death is pretty vague. I read somewhere that the flower she was laying beside was a poisonous species of flowers. She had somewhat emotionless eyes and didn't react to Zwei collapsing.]
Stagdag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, that would explain it.

Smile

PMZ
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
What really happened is spoiler[the VN ended like five seconds before the anime, both of them just go on to live normal lives.]

I guess the anime director did not like the idea of them both getting of scott free after killing so many people.

Last edited by ggqt on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I interpreted that spoiler[both Ein and Zwei died. IIRC, Zwei was shot by the cart driver - we could heard a slight gunshot as he went pass Zwei. On the other hand, Ein's death is pretty vague. I read somewhere that the flower she was laying beside was a poisonous species of flowers. She had somewhat emotionless eyes and didn't react to Zwei collapsing.]

This. spoiler[The poisonous flower is one of the causes most likely.] I vaguely remember this though so I might watch it again to confirm. One of my favorite anime that I watched last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Only one shot is fired, it sounds like Ein's gun, only one shell is on the ground, and that ending was one of the many reasons the series is absolute crap. For instance, how does a three foot girl double her height and grow 40 lbs breasts in two years? Or why, when running from an international crime syndicate, would you return to your home town and not change your appearance at all? Not so much as a hair dye. By the way, "lack of emotion" is a bit off; I seem to recall Ein smiling.] The show's about as ridiculous as a trying-to-be-serious show can get, so don't expect it to make too much sense.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I saw a few episodes of this series on Netflix. The only things I knew about it was 1) It was dubbed by Funimation and 2) The title Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom was slightly annoying.

When I saw the opening, I thought "Oh hell, Bee Train". I didn't make it to the ending but I could guess what the problem the director {and Bee Train had just the one} had with this series: Zwei was male.

My problem with Phantom was about the same with Noir; I just don't care about assassins. I swear I saw a review about Noir that said the most interesting thing about it is when the main characters choose not to kill someone.

Think about that one.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I interpreted it as spoiler[both of them died.] I don't remember the specific scene though. The series would have been great if not for a couple of bad decisions (blonde girl being the first).
V1046-R

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think that final scene spoiler[undermined the story they were telling in the last several episodes where tension was built around their escape, and then resolved when they accomplished that. What does that final scene do for the story other than imply to viewers the last several episodes were all for nothing, and we'll just leave you wonderng wtf really happened? It almost felt like someone was really mad about a happy ending, and added that so they didn't look too soft. It was intentially maniplulative of viewers in a parting shot, so to me felt disingenuous in context to telling a good story. I would even say it was a pretty cheesy way to end. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1