• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon: Black and White Season 2's Story Details Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Elwood wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Yeah, Kasumi's not really relevant enough for top billing like Hikari is (plus Hikari got an OVA last year) and is the fan favorite.

Personally I hope Tsutarja never evolves. I love her voice too much

Anyway, since it's been confirmed only a few Gym Leaders are being replaced in Black and White 2, I wonder how the anime is going to handle this. Can't imagine he'd go back and fight Kamitsure again.

I think everyone is giving Dawn/Hikari too much credit here.
etc. etc.

You pinpointed it a little better. Piplup is far more popular than Hikari. Obviously, older fans like the human characters a lot, but many younger fans collect the Pokemon and don't think as much about the humans--even Satoshi/Ash doesn't get as much screentime as Pikachu ever did.

But having been in Japan a while back, working alongside children in kindergarten and elementary school during D&P's run (in fact, there was a new episode at the time with Kasumi in it, leading to my discussion with the kids about her), I am still convinced that Kasumi is not very popular among the current target fans. They do know her, and they do see the older episodes, but the "new" is more "cool" than the "old," so they're far more focused on Hikari and Pocchama/Piplup than Kasumi and Togepi. Possibly Iris and Kibago now, if the trend is far enough along to continue.
Also, DVDs of the Pokemon anime do not sell that well in Japan, contrary to our Western expectations. There are DVDs and kids certainly watch the show from the DVDs, but these DVDs mostly come from rental stores (where Pokemon DVD sales get most of their profit). Ever since the VHS went "out of style," I haven't seen any new Pokemon DVD's in any child's home. They stick to watching it on television or their parents go to the rental stores to rent them for a bit. This may partially be because of prices of the DVD's in Japan, which are far cheaper than some of the otaku-targeted stuff, yet still pretty ridiculous for most parents in the current Japanese economy to care for... but I'd say it's just the normal trend for shounen/kodomo anime in Japan.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
If any Pokemon from Johto needs to return to Ash's team, it's Quilava. The poor guy evolved at the end of DP only to get sent right back to Oaks lab. Though if the writers are really planing to have Alder as a rival for Ash, he's (Ash) gonna need his best players on the team. Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, Torterra Ash is calling, and he needs his powerhouses.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Why are you people getting into in-depth discussions over a kid's show that exists solely to sell pokemon games and merch?

Why not? If people can discuss Ponies, people can discuss anything. Laughing

No, see, unlike ponies, there's actual plot, character development, and all that good stuff in this series. So it actually makes sense to discuss it without being ironic.

Edit: Cattleya's anime debut will be in the tournament. Confirmed via Famitsu

Quote:
Translation: Satoshi and the gang along with the Shinou League Champion Shirona will head to eastern part of the Isshu region, which has many non-Isshu Pokémon populating it. They also encounter Hikari, one of Satoshi's previous traveling companion. Meloetta will later become Satoshi's friend and journey with them.
Cattleya, one of the members of Four Heavenly Kings of the Isshu region, will enter the World Tournament Junior Cup along with Shirona. The winner of the cup can battle Isshu League Champion Adeku. Along with that, Satoshi will also have a new rival, and Sakaki will lead Rocket-dan in their 'biggest plot in history'.

Rumor is Plasma-dan will actually make their debut this time around, but hasn't been confirmed yet.

Shirona entering the junior cup makes me laugh considering how much she steamrolled everyone back in Diamond & Pearl. Maybe she'll handicap herself with a new/baby Pokemon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Why are you people getting into in-depth discussions over a kid's show that exists solely to sell pokemon games and merch?

No, see, unlike ponies, there's actual plot, character development, and all that good stuff in this series. So it actually makes sense to discuss it without being ironic.

Ponies has plot too, but like Pokemon, neither is really that deep. Same for character development. Point is, neither is that deep, but it doesn't matter, as long as it's fun and all that good stuff as well. Rival fans** just try to make it seem that theirs is like Shakespeare relative to the other, to legitimize it to themselves. Just be fun to discuss. (** Yes, I've been at Ponies panels too.)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

But they shared one trait!!
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Why is it called Best Wishes in Japan, but Black and White in America? Why not just use the English the Japanese used?

Easier to promote the games when the title of the show is the same as the game, and that's all the dub really cares about. Same reason why they renamed the movies to just a generic "Black and White" title.

Well, in addition to the Isshu thing, a common phrase in the original is the characters saying "Best Wishes" to each other when they greet each other, see each other off, and wish each other luck on their road to their respective dreams. I don't know if they still actually say that in the dub, but it also loses it's meaning when the show isn't titled that anymore.

Also, we're getting a special OVA apparently.

I noticed. I'm preety sure this trailer is gonna have an english dub.Not to mentioned if there is a Black and White 2 trailer,it's probably gonna be a part of the pokemon chronicles arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Also, we're getting a special OVA apparently.

There will be no OVA. It's just a trailer to promote the games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2