• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honey x Honey Drops (OAV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
Honey x Honey Drops (OAV)

Oh gosh gosh golly you guys.

Heres a guilty pleasure of mine: I love this show. How many of you have heard of this little two episode long OVA? Honey x Honey drops has got to be the most girliest thing I have ever watched and could stomach... I love it!

There are so many reasons why the entire thing is silly as heck, the plot is rather ridiculous, the characters are pretty static.... but goodness. I love it.
I dont usually like to start threads but I just could not contain myself, my excitment over this series is too much. Given that there is only two episodes out there, theres not a whole lot to dig into, which is a shame. Even for me (I like short shows). Id love to get my hands on the manga someday though.

However, I thought it would be an interesting topic of conversation to hear what people THOUGHT of it.
Because I could see it being a bit controversial. I can picture feminists rallying against things of this nature. And not because of its more obvious flaws ( like having a plotline thats pure nonsence)...... in fact, apart from the obvious things I was thinking more along the lines of people not liking it because of the way the characters are portrayed and issues around the entire "Honey System" and things like proper treatment of women.

So if you have seen it please let me know what you think, and why! Personally I like it despite its more obvious, and less obvious, flaws. But then for me personally... I like strong male characters, and in a romance I am more drawn to the guys who know what they want and go for it rather then the shy ones who cant do squat. Perhapes its just a difference in what I like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Heres a guilty pleasure of mine: I love this show. How many of you have heard of this little two episode long OVA? Honey x Honey drops has got to be the most girliest thing I have ever watched and could stomach... I love it!

I haven't watched the OVA, but I'm the one who added its manga to the Encyclopedia, so it's glad to see an American(?) girl loving it. Now I have to find the OVA and watch it.

Eruanna wrote:
Because I could see it being a bit controversial. I can picture feminists rallying against things of this nature.

I know a few veteran shōjo fans (20+ years of experience) who absolutely hate titles like Honey x Honey Drops because in which female protagonists are not very capable of making decisions for herself and the boy(s) always have dominant roles in romantic relationships.

Eruanna wrote:
I like strong male characters, and in a romance I am more drawn to the guys who know what they want and go for it rather then the shy ones who can't do squat. Perhapes its just a difference in what I like.

Welcome to Sho-Comi club. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I used to work for NOW so I'm about as much of a feminist as you can get, but my guilty pleasure is a domineering male character. A lot of women who are independent and sure of themselves like men who can keep up, so to speak. I get frustrated by the whimpy male characters a lot faster than the predatory ones.

I really liked what I read of this manga, though it seems to be stalled on chapter 8. You simply can't beat this one for straight up shoujo smut. It's definitely NOT for everyone, especially those with delicate sensibilities. The OVA veered pretty far from the manga, to the point where I wasn't sure how anyone not familiar with the latter could follow it at all. It cut out the raunchiest parts (much to my chagrin) and totally convoluted the plot, such that it was. I can't in good conscience recommend the OVA as being a quality anime. This is a terrific soft core manga and that's about all it's got going for it. If you lose the smut the only thing to fall back on is the plot, which frankly sucks (though I kinda liked it anyway). Since the OVA cuts most of the sexiest bits out I fail to see the point of even bothering to animate it, sort of like watching a censored version of a Quentin Tarantino movie. I'll still watch it if anyone decides to continue subbing it though just because I'm a sucker for this stuff. I'd recommend that you check out the manga instead since you can at least understand that story and let Condensation know that you'd like to see them translate more of it. I sure wish they would!
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
The OVA veered pretty far from the manga, to the point where I wasn't sure how anyone not familiar with the latter could follow it at all. It cut out the raunchiest parts (much to my chagrin) and totally convoluted the plot, such that it was. I can't in good conscience recommend the OVA as being a quality anime. This is a terrific soft core manga and that's about all it's got going for it. If you lose the smut the only thing to fall back on is the plot, which frankly sucks (though I kinda liked it anyway). Since the OVA cuts most of the sexiest bits out I fail to see the point of even bothering to animate it, sort of like watching a censored version of a Quentin Tarantino movie. I'll still watch it if anyone decides to continue subbing it though just because I'm a sucker for this stuff. I'd recommend that you check out the manga instead since you can at least understand that story and let Condensation know that you'd like to see them translate more of it. I sure wish they would!

Lord how right you are.

Back when the first episode had been subbed I watched it and then got curious and read like.. the first volume of the manga. Now, years later, episode 2 has been subbed, which I had been waiting for for forever, which is what sparked my excitment. But upon rewatching the first one, I apparently had merged the manga and the OVA in my mind... I watched it and I went "....what? This is IT? I remember it being so much... MORE."

I must delve myself back into the manga.

dormcat wrote:

I know a few veteran shōjo fans (20+ years of experience) who absolutely hate titles like Honey x Honey Drops because in which female protagonists are not very capable of making decisions for herself and the boy(s) always have dominant roles in romantic relationships.

Ishmoo wrote:

I used to work for NOW so I'm about as much of a feminist as you can get, but my guilty pleasure is a domineering male character. A lot of women who are independent and sure of themselves like men who can keep up, so to speak. I get frustrated by the whimpy male characters a lot faster than the predatory ones.

I think this sums up my feelings...
I am a very strong and independant woman...... and as such, Iv always felt that I would rather have a strong man to match me. Someone who could keep up as you said, not some shy little wimp.
The problem is that anime (I have noticed) tends to have rather one sided relationships. Its either a wimpy guy paired with a strong woman or a wimpy woman paired with a strong guy.
...And personally, since I like to use manga/anime as personal fantasy fodder, I can forgive a wimpy girl much easier then a wimpy guy, since Im mostly looking at the guy anyways and I tend to ignore the girl Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:

...And personally, since I like to use manga/anime as personal fantasy fodder, I can forgive a wimpy girl much easier then a wimpy guy, since Im mostly looking at the guy anyways and I tend to ignore the girl Razz

Exactly, though I do tend to get annoyed by the whimpy female characters too. I liked Kare Kano more for the strong leads. They're fairly well balanced.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
Just finished all eight volumes of the manga today. Gawd, if I were Renge I'd kill beat the f**k out of Yurioka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:

However, I thought it would be an interesting topic of conversation to hear what people THOUGHT of it.

I thought it was a very unpleasant piece of crap, reminding myself never to read the manga.

"I'm a doormat, but it's Ok if it's you", garnished with sadism and inward slavery passed as romantic relations or some sort of self-gratifying fantasy of fairly immature violent smut, certainly is not a fantasy I could enjoy (perhaps because I am a woman).

Generally, I don't take liking of shoujos of this kind, with a heroine, who usually finds her sole existence disposable under circumstances of abused power, attempted rape, blackmail, or other rarely believable envious concurrents (both females and males), which would pump up her ordinary, unnoticable, and (frankly) uninteresting personality. Additonally, the implemented school system and the compliance of the family to it, is not something I can embrace just for being there, albeit knowing those are the regular plot devices, covering for lack of creativity, imagination, and (in fact) anything to be said as a whole. Guilty pleasures are fine, but self-tortures are a "no-no".

[Apologies for the inconvinience].
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
I normally hate shoujo smut because of how they make the girls such doormats and little ms. blushing virgins. Thats why I love Yoshihara Yuki. She's a rarity in the sea of shoujo smut. I rather have pervy girls who jump their men and know what they want then crybabies who get strung around on a leash but secretly love that leash. Cool Srsly check her stuff out. Its funny and the girls are much better. Darling wa Namamono ni Tsuki or Itadakimasu are good picks. The guys arent wimpy either but they arent so suffocatingly controlling either. Thats a huge turnoff. It makes them look insecure.

But strangely and embarrassingly enough I remember actually sorta kinda liking this series at one point. I dunno if I will feel the same way if I read it again. ..Probably not because seeing a guy act so dominant and controlling for some strange reason makes me want to see him get dominated and controlled and have the tables turn. But that wont be happening in a series like this.
acuarioalor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hey Hi, I just read that you just finished reading the whole manga, and I have to ask, where did you get it? where did you read it? please, tell me!! I'm desperate to get to the end, please??
I'd be really thankful
ok, I have to go...
thanks...

Acuario*

p.s. Sorry if I made any mistakes, I'm new at this Wink[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1