• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Proposal Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plastique

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Great casting ideas for Ron Pearlman, Morena Baccarin, and Vanessa Marcil. Just when I read Pearlman's name, I thought he'd be much better than Willis, though Willis would be alright. The Green Mile guy would also be okay if he could pull off a certain world-weariness. Baccarin is an excellent idea and she's got some action chops from Serenity.

James Franco for Spike would be great, too bad thats already cast. If anyone's seen his work in more indie-type films than they know he's a more skilled actor than his mainstream work shows. Keanu has to do some things I've never seen him do to pull this role off, but Franco already has the talent and he'd just have to learn Jeet Kun Do and change his voice a bit and he'd be good. When the roles call for it he does transform subtly into characters, even doing character actor type-stuff like living where the character lives before shooting so he can absorb the attitudes and mannerisms of the locals.

As for directors, although I could guarantee they're too busy to do it(and won't work outside their production companies), Spielberg and Cameron are, at least, casual anime fans who could do some mindblowing stuff with this. Spielberg loves Castle of Cagliostro and negotiated in person for the rights to Transformers and Ghost in the Shell, and Cameron contributes quotes for the dvd boxes on a couple Oshii films and will direct an Alita movie. The Wachowskis are obvious Bebop fans who went after and got Watanabe on their Animatrix compilation, but their Matrix sequels were spotty, though I did like Speed Racer(didn't take it too seriously, so I thought it was fun). That being said, I'm really intrigued what Rian Johnson could do with this. I read somewhere that he incorporated some of Bebop's character traits and semi-poetic manner of dialogue(such as when Vicious or the movie villian talk all cryptic) into his film Brick. He's young, has a visual eye, and has directed genre-mashup-style capers.

They really shouldn't go for some director-for-hire type like Brett Ratner, Paul Anderson or Mcg, who seem to get all the scifi films films these days. Someone more like Danny Boyle(who does his own ideas so I don't think he'd do it at all), not yes men.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I would love if Kanno did at least one track for this, because I'd love for her to get more exposure outside of the anime circles here in America.

Reeves 'acting' has me worried, like many other people, but I will try to bite my tongue and not pass judgment. However, I don't understand this mentality that "oh he's a fan so he'll be great for it." Ever heard of fan fiction? True, some of it is stellar, but there is also plenty of garbage.

I'm also not sold on the whole idea of a live action Cowboy Bebop, because while I do agree that the show's themes and devices would make for a great live action movie, more of a good thing isn't always good. Sometimes it's just excess, and dredge tacked on to a story that had already run it's course.

This movie will probably be made for the 'average' Hollywood audience rather than just us anime and Cowboy Bebop fans, but I do hope that the movie will still have it's nods to the fans. (And while I may be jeered at for saying this, I personally felt Speed Racer did a good job of that.) I'm willing to compromise a little, because in the end, if all else fails, I can put in my DVDs and spend time with the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10