• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Men of Inaction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If I could work in an "anime company" I would choose the Government Crime Investigation Agency from Naikaku Kenryoku Hanzai Kyousei Torishimarikan Zaizen Jotaro. Yeah, I would likely just get a simple office job in the GCIA and never get into the crazy, dirty politics-stopping adventures that Zaizen himself gets into, but that's really the only company I would choose.

I asked the question regarding sports anime & manga being "viable" (I used quotes in the actual question because I meant "relative viability") mainly to see how Zac & Justin would respond to it and whether they feel that it could have a chance. Pretty much, I feel the same way that Zac did with his answer; just getting the chance to show actual support and being able to potentially rally together more support is likely more than most people could ask for, and I do hope that these opportunities will truly get taken full advantage of.

But when Justin mentioned that sports anime is at the bottom of streaming sites' popularity lists, I do wonder how accurate CrunchyRoll's list of streams is when you organize by "Popular", since titles like Eyeshield 21 & Kuroko's Basketball generally are within the Top 20 or so; even right now, Eyeshield is 12th on the list & Kuroko is 21st (though it has been higher). Granted, the "Popular" organization might just be randomized to an extent, but Naruto Shippuuden is usually at the top, along with Bleach & Shugo Chara, so I would think that there is some organization there. But, again, Eyeshield 21 was a supposed giant bomb for Sentai, so maybe sports anime does do marginally better via streams than it has via DVD. Also, CR usually grabs a fair at least one or two sports anime eevry season that has one, though maybe they're just simply keeping a small demographic happy.

All I'm really getting at is that, as a general fan & supporter of sports anime, I do intend to try my hardest to get the genre more acceptance & potential success when Sam's site starts up, as long as he supplies the sports animes.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Foster did the le Chevalier d'Eon dub right? I remember that being really good. Fluke I guess?

Again, and I think we said this in the show - if we didn't then I need to clarify - it isn't that he's *never* made a good dub, it's just that he's now directing nearly all of their dubs and our collected experience with them is generally negative right now.

Oh I understand, it's just that I've heard some rather negative comments about stuff about dubs he's done even before Chevalier, like Generator Gawl and Orphen, involving the change of the entire direction or meaning of scenes, or even rewriting dialogue entirely, and usually not for the better.

I'm just wondering if this behaviour from him isn't actually as new as everyone thinks

Anime Jump had an article about this in 2001, if I remember right he started off bad, got better over time, and now has seemed to regress back to what he did in the early 2000's. Basically Steve Foster thinks his a lot funnier than he actually is.

so basically he is like Dane cook?

I don't think there was ever a time when Dane Cook was "better"...
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
People where ******ing? People I talked
to was positive.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Tone Loc in Cardcaptor Sakura? That would be amazing even though it's so hard to imagine.
Tisiphone1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that your editing work is appreciated and is definitely on the list of things that makes ANNCast a cut above the average podcast.

I wish others would put in the same effort.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Foster did the le Chevalier d'Eon dub right? I remember that being really good. Fluke I guess?

Again, and I think we said this in the show - if we didn't then I need to clarify - it isn't that he's *never* made a good dub, it's just that he's now directing nearly all of their dubs and our collected experience with them is generally negative right now.

That was true last year or in 2010, but he's only directed a few of their dubs this year. In fact, I'm fairly certain that Chris Ayres has directed as much of even more than him recently. Matt Greenfield and Kyle Jones also directed dubs this year as well. "Nearly all" is a pretty extreme exaggeration when you are talking about the present, which by the word "now", I assumed you were.

I don't think the rough spots in Sentai runs previously had much to do with his ability as a director, as a lack of time and budget. Their dubs have generally improved quite a bit, and even some of their dubs from last year and earlier were quite good. Fosters dub of Angel Beats was probably my favorite of last year, And he was voted director of the year for it on another forum.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
... I don't think there was ever a time when Dane Cook was "better"...

I guess some people are cranky drunks, but for lots of people, mediocre comics get better after the fourth vodka.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

That was true last year or in 2010, but he's only directed a few of their dubs this year. In fact, I'm fairly certain that Chris Ayres has directed as much of even more than him recently. Matt Greenfield and Kyle Jones also directed dubs this year as well.

Isn't Kyle Jones directed the dub for the Gintama movie? Actually speaking of which, there was apparently a cast announcement.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Action-based shoujo? Pretty Cure, duh! Shugo Chara and Umi Monogatari are good, too.

My guilty pleasure? Dragonball. The original series, not Z.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
In semi-defense of Steven Foster, the man HAS directed some very good dubs before. As has been brought up, he did Chevalier during his ADV days, as well as the criminally under-rated dubs for Gilgamesh and Cromartie High School.

And during his Sentai run, despite him messing up BIG TIME with Guin Saga, he directed the excellent Mardock Scramble and CANAAN dubs (seriously, has NO ONE else heard the dub for CANAAN? it was great!).

And I'm gonna be honest here.... I REALLY LIKE the Highschool of the Dead dub. Cheesy out-of-place one-liners aside, on a technical level the dub is well-cast, well-acted, and well-directed. As for the added foul language, let's be honest here; if YOU were stuck in a zombie apocalypse, wouldn't YOU let a ton of F-bombs fly?

spoiler[........plus I'll admit the "I like turtles" and "Sarah effin' Palin" lines made me giggle like a schoolgirl. Laughing]
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac: Not sure why we needed a new Frankenweenie, either.

Justin: Supposedly, there was some menu trick to get accurate subtitles for R1 Ghibli movies. But I forgot what.

Quote:
I doubt Only Yesterday will ever get an R1 release

I'm still betting it'll happen, because Disney's running out of Ghibli movies to re-release. Now Ocean Waves is the real wild card. Not to mention them bringing back Princess Mononoke.

As for nostalgia goggles, hasn't hurt Transformers or G.I. Joe, so....

Quote:
Anime that rips off something that's better than the original

Flame of Recca. Cool
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Action-based shoujo? Pretty Cure, duh! Shugo Chara and Umi Monogatari are good, too.

My guilty pleasure? Dragonball. The original series, not Z.

Well arguably both Precure and Shugo Chara are of a younger mindbase than SM tends to be. Of course SM only has that during its latter seasons. There's a shortage of slightly deeper magical girl stuff out there. Not Madoka deep but not Precure shallow.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
I totally agree with Zac on Toonami & acquisition announcements, we just can't have good things because no matter what a company or network does, all to many people will whine like spoiled little man children instead of appreciating what they have. I too have grown rather tired of the way people act online. Seriously, people, its not a crime to be happy or positive about things yea know.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Fosters dub of Angel Beats was probably my favorite of last year, And he was voted director of the year for it on another forum.

Confused Really? Aside from Karbowski's performance as Yurippe I thought that dub was quite weak. "Hey, Yer-reh-pee! Over here!" Rolling Eyes

SpacemanHardy wrote:
(seriously, has NO ONE else heard the dub for CANAAN? it was great!).

Oh, for sure. That dub is in fact the level that I would expect them to be at considering that they are former ADV and all. Maybe that's asking for a bit much, but it's not like Canaan's dub is very recent, so they were capable of pulling that off in that time.
I like High School of the Dead's dub as well; Jessica Boone being bad-ass is awesome. I don't understand the people who after reading Zac's review of it were like "They made rewrites?!?! I'm not ever listening to that dub!" Maybe it's just been so long since I watched it in Japanese, but there really didn't seem to be anything drastically changed. Of course, yes, I noticed the added jokes and the final line changing, but come on, this series is, at best, a pulpy, over-the-top stereotypical anime that's impossible to take seriously. Let's not pretend it's high art.
However, saying all that, there was no excuse for Clannad's dub; none at all Razz .

Justin's theory on Sentai's recent licensing sprees makes sense, and actually makes me much less worried about them. I was starting to think they were repeating their ADV ways. I'm hoping his theory turns out true.

And while we're still on Sentai, I wanted to ask the board about their sub-only stuff. I haven't bought any of those titles since Koihime Musou season 1 came out due to an apparent lack of care about the quality of those releases. The Clannad sub-only set was riddled with spelling and grammar errors, so was Blue Drop, Ghost Hound and I remember Princess Resurrection pt 1 being the same way. Koihime was the final straw for me since they released that 1st season in such a "well, screw quality-control, let's just get this out the door as quick as possible and move on to the next thing" manner it irritated me. I mean, you really may as well just stick to watching it on Crunchyroll since there was no improvement from streaming to DVD. So, the question: has their quality-control for sub-only releases improved since then?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Well arguably both Precure and Shugo Chara are of a younger mindbase than SM tends to be. Of course SM only has that during its latter seasons. There's a shortage of slightly deeper magical girl stuff out there. Not Madoka deep but not Precure shallow.

Heartcatch got pretty damn dark there towards the end, honestly.

And the first few seasons of Precure had some seriously brutal fights, more so than most of the later seasons.

Granted, those seasons were directed by a guy who worked on a lot of Dragonball, and it showed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6