• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Men of Inaction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Zac wrote:

If I remember right that was mainly you arguing about how to attract new anime fans.

My memory of that episode was more of the first 30 minutes being about that, then Zac asking why V guy wears the V for Vendetta costume, and then it went on to the themes in Evangelion fans interpret versus learning from the horse's mouth, being what Hideki Anno said about the themes in Evangelion. Or something like that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Zac wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Here's what we all want: Zac and V-Guy, LIVE!

You really want to see Zac and V-Guy argue about Evangelion for 2 hours?

We already did that! http://animenewsnetwork.cachefly.net/anncast/anncastbonus2.mp3

If I remember right that was mainly you arguing about how to attract new anime fans.

If you want to have a good laugh, listen this old podcast. V-Guy made me laugh because he seems to not really know jack about how the anime industry works. Thankfully, Zac is well informed, and I am glad he showed V-Guy that the anime industry is much more complex than V-Guy thinks.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat May 26, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Great show. I love the various guests and shows that have a specific topic but I do enjoy Justin & Zac just chatting as well. As for Netflix streaming— there are significantly fewer titles on their streaming service versus their DVD service. Also, alot of their Anime titles are available on HuluPlus with better video quality. They just don't seem to be keeping up with the competition. Crunchyroll by far has the largest selection for streaming anime to TV. Both Manga Entertainment and Crackle have free apps for Roku with a small selection of anime. Hulu also has been slowly adding older titles (80's & 90's) to their lineup as of late.

I'm in for a live streaming ANN Cast in the future!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Woah, 12 hours of driving the past two days allowed me to catch up on ANNCasts #110 through #119.

Lots of Great Podcasts.
I too popped Whisper of the Heart in as soon as I got it from Best Buy (that was a really good sale). Overall my favorite Ghibli, but I have to disagree on the dub, I really love the sub track so much that I can not be objective (unlike most every dub of the Ghibli movies).

Anime that starts badly that gets way better: I always zero in on one that I actually think would be a decent for Adult Swim.
Zegapain, those first 4 episodes are so been there an done that, but then you start getting some REALLY interesting ideas and takes on the "mecha"? genre. When the legends release was scrapped, I immediately sprung for the singles. Might take repeated runs through, like the Big O, to gain an audience, but it might could work.

After Dragon Age 2, I had given up pretty much all hope on the Dragon Age Dawn of the Seeker Co pro. Right Stuff shipped early and I felt it was not a waste of money. I think they will make a fair piece of cash from it.

Last edited by Gewürtztraminer on Sat May 26, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what happened with this, just trying to edit previous post.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

If successful, Toonami could be a gateway for new anime fans, but I think that the internet is an already very effective tool to expose new people to anime.

The problem is that the internet is a terrible tool to actually get people to support anime. It really doesn't matter how many people you get to watch anime if companies can't make any money off of them.

Very true.

Yes, because with illegal free streaming sites that just have anime it makes it easy to not support the industry because they'll just watch fansubs and if they don't get extra money they won't buy it.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the live call in idea. I'd be quite interested in calling to talk about some things that haven't really been discussed on the show. I think it's a great opportunity to go new places.
Migsse

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
As always, great show Zack.

But once again(in case Zack has forgotten, I Private Messaged him about this), my twitter question was missed out from the Reading Pool.

Seriously, what does it take to even get a blip on your Twitter Questions Radar? Do I have to follow successive examples of other people like V-Guy who send you several Twitter posts to get noticed by you?

The one question I sent(for Men of Inaction, I also sent one for the Funi segment last week and that got missed out as well) fits within the twitter post limit, so there was no need to spread it out over 3 or more tweets.

I would love to know how V-Guy and other people do it, but from the gist of from what I've seen, do I really have to make you annoyed/angry to even notice?

In the last private message I sent to you, I did ask if I could send you a private message of my tweet in case the twitter post got overlooked/lost again - I got no reply back about this yet.
Beized

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Good show.

Zac, did you actually watch the last disk of Madoka Magica after you were done recording? Is there a review for it in the tubes?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
@Migsse: I've been meaning to ask, probably a really stupid question, but I just recently started a Twitter account, do they tweet asking for questions for casts? Or can you just ask a question at any time, mearly hoping it will get brought up eventually?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@Migsse: I've been meaning to ask, probably a really stupid question, but I just recently started a Twitter account, do they tweet asking for questions for casts? Or can you just ask a question at any time, mearly hoping it will get brought up eventually?

Follow ANNZac, he announce that they are going to do an ANNCast and you ask a question.
Migsse

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
Yep SoundMonkey44, just like Charred Knight said.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
I finally got to watch my copy of Laputa last night and boy was it rough! Not only was it dubtitled as Justin mentioned, but there were actually instances throughout the film where dialog was left completely untranslated. Ugh!

This has been mentioned in a couple of other places online, but I'll leave this here:

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/Contact_Us.html

It's a long shot, but if enough consumers complain, just maybe Disney will set up some sort of disc replacement program. Couldn't hurt to try.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
I would KILL to have Steven Foster on this show.

There's only one interview on here & it's a few YEARS old:

animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2007-02-19/steven-foster-and-le-chevalier-d'eon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6