• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki DVDs Delayed Again?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberTai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
More than likely, those sequals wont be as good as Pixar's movies.

Huh, really?

Another delay...Frankly, who didn't see it coming? Disney has been busy lately with...Uhh...Pfft, ya got me. I'm just trying to make excuses for Disney now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm very pissed at Disney, but could it be that they are waiting to release it at the same time "Howl's Moving Castle" comes to theaters (a sort of cross-promotion)?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:59 am Reply with quote
Eisners revenge. He's screwing the Anime fans as his last act of revenge.
penty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:18 am Reply with quote
All right that does it, I'm getting the remastered imports.
UltraManiac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
If Disney can finance and find time to animate and release their own films, then they can release the Miyazaki DVDs too. It's probably like they are doing it on purpose because they are jealous that the Miyazaki DVDs are more superior than their own products or the fact that they hate anime and lost the license to the other films, and won't admit it. Whatever it is, if they can release and produce their own stuff, then not releasing the Miyazaki DVDs is due to personal reasons Disney is not saying.

I would rather buy the imported R2s since they will have English subtitles in it and they are available now. I have already bought them a long time ago and am enjoying them very much. Disney will never release them and will keep saying it is delayed to fool the people.

You don't see Disney delaying their own stuff, only imported Japanese anime for some reason, yet they continue to make their own stuff at non-stop speed.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, enough with the conspiracy theories... the delay likely has everything to do with putting a trailer to tie-in with the domestic theatrical release of Howl's Moving Castle, which they can't do until they have enough dub dialogue recorded to cut one together and, as far as anyone outside of the loop knows, they haven't even finished the casting yet.

Plus, the Ghibli films are very much a niche item compared to Disney's domestic animated productions, which will always sell several times what Ghibli films will sell in North America. Even the sequels, which are huge moneymakers for BVHE (and the production of those will likely continue no matter who's in charge at Disney post-Eisner, whether it's Stephen Bollenbach or Roy Disney). And Disney is always coming out every week with new DVDs through its many divisions and labels, and what sells better will always be the priority items at the replication plants.

I still think that, had production of Howl's Moving Castle not been delayed in Japan, we likely would have had the dub this fall and the three remaining Miyazaki DVDs would have been out by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
UltraManiac wrote:
It's probably like they are doing it on purpose because they are jealous that the Miyazaki DVDs are more superior than their own products or the fact that they hate anime and lost the license to the other films, and won't admit it.

I seriously doubt that Disney would loose the license to any of the Ghibli films. As to Disney being "jealous", thats a completely absurd thing to say. I mean, I enjoyed Atlantis, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast several times more than I enjoyed Nausicaa, Kiki, or Laputa. Disney paid for these films, and expect some kind of profit from them, it's just that delays, abeilt annoying, are done for a reason, not simply out of spite.

Anyway, if they had lost the license, they would have out-right cancelled the release, or said nothing and removed the date entirely. However, as it says, the date simply isn't there, but the product listings are. This would imply that they still have the license, otherwise they'd get a slap on the wrists for promising products they do not own.

Hope that works for you.

(In regards to them being able to release lots of their stuff... um, isn't that obvious? Everything they produce is in their own hands and is controlled in-house, without reliance on any other parties (Tokuma, Ghibli, etc). )
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh, enough with the conspiracy theories... the delay likely has everything to do with putting a trailer to tie-in with the domestic theatrical release of Howl's Moving Castle, which they can't do until they have enough dub dialogue recorded to cut one together and, as far as anyone outside of the loop knows, they haven't even finished the casting yet.

Plus, the Ghibli films are very much a niche item compared to Disney's domestic animated productions, which will always sell several times what Ghibli films will sell in North America. Even the sequels, which are huge moneymakers for BVHE (and the production of those will likely continue no matter who's in charge at Disney post-Eisner, whether it's Stephen Bollenbach or Roy Disney). And Disney is always coming out every week with new DVDs through its many divisions and labels, and what sells better will always be the priority items at the replication plants.

I still think that, had production of Howl's Moving Castle not been delayed in Japan, we likely would have had the dub this fall and the three remaining Miyazaki DVDs would have been out by now.

You don't repeadeatedly delays DVD releases so you can put a trailer for a movie that won't be released domestically for a long, long time on it.

Sorry, but that's less believeable than most of the conspiracy theories.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... Howl's Moving Castle will likely be in theatres by spring, it's perfectly believable that they'd release the DVDs a couple of weeks in advance to promote the film to the niche audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Uhh... Howl's Moving Castle will likely be in theatres by spring, it's perfectly believable that they'd release the DVDs a couple of weeks in advance to promote the film to the niche audience.

If you think about it though, wouldn't said "niche" audience already know about/anticipate Howl's?

And another thing, this isn't the same as some late-night TV series or cult movie, these films are from the creator of an academy award winning movie, aswell as having plenty of international appeal, awards, and what not. It might not be a LOTR/Star Wars Mass Market, or Lion King/Beauty and the Beast scale, but it's not a niche, not by a long mile.

Fact is, they don't need the trailer. Well, not as much as you'd think. They could be waiting for that, yes, but my money is going on something larger and more substantial (lack of permission from Ghibli, quality approval pending, etc).

edit: though looking at it, yeah, it could just be delayed to co-incide with Howl's Theatrical release, but I'd say it's cross-promotion to non "niche" audiences... or whatever.

Last edited by Steventheeunuch on Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:10 pm Reply with quote
UltraManiac wrote:
It's probably like they are doing it on purpose because they are jealous that the Miyazaki DVDs are more superior than their own products or the fact that they hate anime and lost the license to the other films, and won't admit it.

Quite the contrary. The Disney animators deeply respect and admire Miyazaki's work. I agree with the general consensus that the delay is a result of Howl's Moving Castle coming out this spring is a possibility. I wish I was given a concrete answer by a Disney representative, though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: You're assuming they're actually going to
support Howl...Their money seems to be on that cg Chicken Little flick they hope will beat Pixar so they don't have to pay them anymore.

Steve: If they expect some kind of profit from them, why do they do their best to sabotage their success?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: You're assuming they're actually going to
support Howl...Their money seems to be on that cg Chicken Little flick they hope will beat Pixar so they don't have to pay them anymore.

Yeah, I think Disney's going to support both, not that I expect that they'll put Howl in every suburban shopping centre multiplex the way they will with Chicken Little but certainly it will be on a couple of hundred screens and get the critics all agog again, unless they're expecting something as pretenti... erm, I mean "deep" as Spirited Away, in which case, they may be disappointed.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah like the guy said it's all because of a trailer that they're taking many years to release all the films.

1996 Disney buys rights to Studio Ghibli Films
1997 Nothing
1998 Nothing
1999 Nothing
2000 Nothing
2001 Mononoke Released
2002 Nothing
2003 Nothing
2004 Kiki's Delivery Service Released
2004 Castle in the Sky Released
2004 Sprited Away Released
2005 Nausicaa TBR?
2005 My Neighbour Totoro TBR?
2005 Porco Rosso TBR?

Between 2006 and 2010;

Only Yesterday
Pom Poko
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Whisper of the Heart
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle

This is in the UK mind, where there's little to no advertising and even less extras than the American release because Disney just can't afford to include them. I think it's common knowledge that we also have to wait longer for everything.

Okay this is my last moan/rant I've had enough (of myself)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
There's no way any company should take 14 years to release all of what they've licensed. Evil or Very Mad

Come on, ADV, Geneon, and FUNimation often release that many in 1 year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3