• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quick question about FUNimation.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
**i'm not sure if this is the place for this thread but i didn't know were else to put it**

anyway, does anyone know the reason/reasons why all Funimation content seems to be region locked. At first i thought it was licensing restrictions or something but even their own dub preview vids on youtube are region locked

i tried looking for an answer but couldn't find one, wondered if anyone else out there knew, cause its always bugged me how whenever they get a streaming title i then can't view that series by conventional means, and i was hoping there was a serious reason as to why, and not something petty
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This will probably end up getting shifted to the Retail Forum, but your original assumption was correct: region-blocking is a result of licensing restrictions.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much all legal streaming involves region locks. Part of that is the license agreement and part of that is advertising. It just depends on whether the site pursues licenses for multiple regions.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Since you are in the UK you must be looking at the wrong videos since not all FUNimation content on YouTube is blocked in the UK.

Somewhat out of date list:
http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/FUNimation_shows_currently_streaming_to_the_UK_-_January_2011_edition.html

FUNimation always gets rights for the US and Canada, but they also get the UK, Australia and South Africa where possible and sub-license to Manga, Madman and... I've never been able to figure out what they do with South African rights to be honest.

It is annoying that even trailers are blocked though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
i am not sure of the legality but I have found away region locks on streaming and that's through using a proxy. Fire-fox has a built use for proxies so you just need to Google how-to and find a list of IP in the untied states. Many of my online friends in the UK and Canada now can enjoy streaming from Hulu/Funimation from doing this, again however I'm unsure of the legality in your area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1