• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Poor Suguha, in love with some one she knows she can't have. You really gotta feel for her Sad
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could do without all of these creative excuses to have tentacles wrapping up girls/young women in anime titles; it's been a trend in more fan service-oriented shows over the past few years. Typically you don't see that kind of thing in titles that play as serious as this one does, though.

And I'll agree that it seemed a bit incongruous that spoiler[Asuna didn't wait for the blob creatures to leave before going for the terminal given how careful she was otherwise.] I can think of two possible justifications:

1. spoiler[She saw the door of freedom opening and threw caution to the wind in her eagerness to get out.]
2. spoiler[She was concerned that the terminal might close down once the blob creatures left.]

#1 seems like the more likely case, but I'll admit that it's a bit weak even if it is plausible. At least she did redeem herself by spoiler[securing that card.]

Otherwise I pretty well liked the episode. It seemed to permanently resolve Suguha's feelings about Kirito, explained about the schooling for SAO victims (and in the future I hope that people will stop griping about apparent plot holes like that until the series has had a reasonable chance to address them, since it isn't necessarily going to give all its details in the same way or order that the books do), and gave Yui another great cute moment: the bit about the "start-up sequence" was quite amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Asuna just wanted to GTFO ASAP.

Also, the dudes were obviously creeps so they probably chose slime creatures for the lulz.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Otherwise I pretty well liked the episode. It seemed to permanently resolve Suguha's feelings about Kirito

What about the in-game situation, which has yet to be resolved to my knowledge? I'm pretty sure she still thinks he is someone else, so might turn her focus there.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I think "permanently resolved" is too strong a phrase. She hasn't let go of her feelings, she's just going to bury them deep inside. That's not what I'd call resolution.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It is if you're Kirito.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hesitating one millimeter from the logout button and thereby losing your chance. Oh come on.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Also, the dudes were obviously creeps so they probably chose slime creatures for the lulz.

Yeah I would agree with this. While in a sense it is just an excuse for a random tentacle scene, it's pretty much the easiest way of saying "Hey, these guys who are doing horrible experiments to the SAO players' brains are huge creeps. So you don't think otherwise, we are making them creepy preverts who chose to be tentacle monsters to eliminate any chance that these guys would have any redeeming qualities later on." Pretty much says everything about them in 2 seconds and we know what to expect from them where as we needed a few scenes to get what Nobuyuki Sugō was all about.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Poor Suguha, in love with some one she knows she can't have. You really gotta feel for her Sad

Just wait until she finds out she blubbered on the shoulder of the last guy in either universe she wanted to hear her confession.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, her life isn't going to be improving any time soon. She needs some one to cheer her up... Naturally I nominate myself.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Key wrote:
Otherwise I pretty well liked the episode. It seemed to permanently resolve Suguha's feelings about Kirito

What about the in-game situation, which has yet to be resolved to my knowledge? I'm pretty sure she still thinks he is someone else, so might turn her focus there.

Yes, her uh... failure to grasp who she is hanging out with in game is definitely going to be a source of romantic heart-break in the future.

If there was one word to describe how I felt during this episode, it would be: impatient.
CTB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Key wrote:

I don't know how the anime will resolve this, spoiler[ as in the LN it was revealed a ways back.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yes, her uh... failure to grasp who she is hanging out with in game is definitely going to be a source of romantic heart-break in the future.

Well, yeah. Falls in love with Kazuto -> heartbreak -> falls in love with Kirito -> finds out Kirito is Kazuto -> double breaker!

And in general people won't consider things when they have no reason to. She has no reason to believe that Kirito is Kazuto. She probably thinks after the whole SAO thing he wouldn't want to play another VMMO. It works the other way around too: Kirito has no reason to think Suguha plays VMMOs so the thought that Leafa might be Suguha never crosses his mind.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Although, in the months (?) he's been back, has he seriously never set foot in her room to see the giant Leafa poster on the ceiling?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Would you just waltz into your sister's room? My sister would kick my ass if I did that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 149 of 274