• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That whole franchise was specifically designed around multimedia integration, though. This one isn't.
Tru dat. But I want to join in with the complaining too, it apparently makes people look smart.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Key wrote:
That whole franchise was specifically designed around multimedia integration, though. This one isn't.
Tru dat. But I want to join in with the complaining too, it apparently makes people look smart.

its funny how many feel this series needs a ton of complaining about.
yet really the anime is still very entertaining.

my only problem with the plot so far was the handing over of the survival tools (crystals) which go against any common sense a survivalist like Kirito is portrayed to have.

this anime should have been slated for at least double the episodes so they could be a bit more in-depth about the details and stave of some of the questions that are raised.yet even as is most of the questions I've seen in this thread or complaints i should say, which as an avid MMO player myself. I find them for the most part self-explanatory to gamers especially if you've played many different MMO's. game mechanics change from game to game environments and npc's as described in the anime don't leave you scratching your head going huh?.

if you really want to look at something to question: why are so many players involved in PK when everyone knows its actually Murder? as well why are the real police not monitoring the game in real-time on TV's after so many deaths of players,just because its VR does not make flat screen viewing impossible.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
4nBlue wrote:
Could we agree to disagree...

No, but I'll happily agree that you're wrong.

Adaptations are to be judged solely on their own merits and must stand on their own. It's a cardinal rule.

I don't know about that. I think that comparisons between the original and the adaption(s) are important when I'm deciding in what form do I want to enjoy the story. Even if the anime may suck, the manga/LN/VN/etc might be great (and often the other way around), and I appreciate being told that, so I can change to the superior version of the story without being spoiled by the inferior version.

And how many share your way of thinking? I don't remember anyone jumping on people who posted information from novels and visual novels (even from Kara no Kyoukai and Tsukihime that are not confirmed to be 100% canonical with it) in Fate/Zero thread. Most anime are confined to around 25 minute episodes and 1-2 cour worth of episodes, so they have to cut lots of exposition (especially the protagonist's narration, which BTW is the primary method of explaining things in SAO books) when adapting light novels.

All There in the Manual is a bad form of storytelling, but when adapting a very wordy medium to a visual medium (especially with set in stone episode and series lenght) it's inevitable that some information is cut without the cut information becoming irrelevant. Even if the first episode didn't find 30 seconds to explain it, I still believe that the characters real bodies are spoiler[lying in hospital beds being fed trough tubes] even in the anime adaption.

I also took the time to track down the source of the number that Bugnin posted. Sword Art Online - Material Edition, a series of doujinshi by the author (well, the books he posted on the web could also be counted as doujinshi).

Would you consider Kuradeel's skill level be relevant to this thread if it was listed on the anime's homepage or if there had been a material book released especially for the anime, that featured anime character designs and the characters' stats (of course including skill levels)?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
I've petitioned against discussing light novels or manga or VNs in anime discussions before, and I still strongly believe that. It's also not the first time the subject (including F/Z,) has been broached. This thread actually strengthens my position and gives me more ammo to use when the discussion comes up again. I mean, 1/4 of this thread is chibikangaroo bitching, another 1/4 is people bitching back, which I'm not that annoyed with since it is discussion of the show, no matter how obnoxious it is. However another 1/4 is people talking about the light novels, and then the final 1/4 talking about the episode, which I do have a problem with. In an anime discussion thread, it shouldn't break down like that. That 1/4 of Light Novel talk shouldn't even exist, because then, technically, the whole thread would be solely anime discussion, as it should be in the anime discussion thread of the anime section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viorexx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
For all the complaining. this forum is a nice place to exchange info and ideas.
there are some concepts i did not understand until coming and reading it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I've petitioned against discussing light novels or manga or VNs in anime discussions before, and I still strongly believe that. It's also not the first time the subject (including F/Z,) has been broached. This thread actually strengthens my position and gives me more ammo to use when the discussion comes up again. I mean, 1/4 of this thread is chibikangaroo bitching, another 1/4 is people bitching back, which I'm not that annoyed with since it is discussion of the show, no matter how obnoxious it is. However another 1/4 is people talking about the light novels, and then the final 1/4 talking about the episode, which I do have a problem with. In an anime discussion thread, it shouldn't break down like that. That 1/4 of Light Novel talk shouldn't even exist, because then, technically, the whole thread would be solely anime discussion, as it should be in the anime discussion thread of the anime section.

And here I was trying to be all cool and not retread those arguments based on stuff from this episode. Taking the higher road is so damn hard.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to say to everyone that has their hate on for SAO. It seems like they want another Bleach or something and will tantrum out unless they get it.

Although it has concept holes big enough to toss a rackmount file server through, I am tempted to rate SAO in the Excellent or above simply on the force of its artwork, its (most of the time) animation, and above all its stage direction.

Very few anime would attempt to serve up the warm intimacy of their wakeup-in-the-bedroom scenes (twin beds? seriously?) or the splendid sets that can set the mood. The detail of the fishermen and their interaction with the main characters. Note how Kirito's reacted when Asuna decided to challenge a whole army troop, or how Asuna rushed to catch Yui from Kiroto's shoulders. Nearly every scene has something to build these characters relationship through these actions, instead of just relying on blush-expressions or grimaces.

The one time they really fell down in my opinion was with Asunua realized her slight misunderstanding of what Kiroto wanted when he asked to stay with her. OF COURSE she had to punch him out. At least they moved on from that. It was done almost as a must-do checklist item.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Thankfully you don't create forum policy.

The anime is based off the LNs. I would argue it's basically word-for-word from the LNs. To try and separate the two media is impossible since the anime is a direct result of the LN.

As long as the LN discussions are spoilered I don't see a problem with it personally.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
. OF COURSE she had to punch him out. At least they moved on from that. It was done almost as a must-do checklist item.

I didn't really get why they needed to have him be that stupid. It would have been fine if they had just skipped by to avoid prolonged fanservice since that's not what this series is for, but I really think her typical actions were more understandable than his.

I honestly don't think anybody would react to her like that. I'm glad they followed it up with something that was a lot more reasonable.

Riddley wrote:

Thankfully you don't create forum policy.

The anime is based off the LNs. I would argue it's basically word-for-word from the LNs. To try and separate the two media is impossible since the anime is a direct result of the LN.

As long as the LN discussions are spoilered I don't see a problem with it personally.

Don't be so fast, he's been pretty good at shutting folks down in the past with moderator help and I happen to agree with him completely on that.

The purpose of spoiler tags is so that someone who is behind on a series can avoid future spoilers of content based on the context of the episode in question, but if you are up to the current episode and someone throws in spoilers from the manga/LN/etc. you have no way to distinguish that tag with the spoiler tags alone unless someone explicitly states that it's an LN spoiler.

So honestly if you care about others spoiler tags alone do not cut it. The tags are for people watching the show who are behind. Explicit wording, *** LN SPOILER WARNING ** etc. should be used if it's content that could not be reasonably expected in a thread about the anime. There is a reason the thread is tagged (TV).

The King of Harts, in looking at the post above yours I do have one minor point to make that may help you (and others). I suggest reading the spoilers after seeing the whole post in context without them. Right after the spoiler he did write something that was a pretty strong hint he was giving an LN spoiler. Perhaps he should have made it easier to note, but I think people need to try to save themselves some frustration by trying to be extra careful.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I believe "source spoilers need to be noted as such" was the conclusion that discussion came to. That said, I don't see anything wrong if what's discussed are details that were left out of the scene, such as Kuradeel's stats.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow 55 pages, it has actually surpassed the Madoka thread. And I since people are mentioning the LN spoiler stuff, I might quote what I said in my first post which was on page 2.
DuskyPredator wrote:
Looks like a lot of people have read the source material, and that actually makes me a little annoyed. Ok guys, remember that this is an anime thread, I want to be able to enjoy this without getting a bunch of clues, and mentions about how the book was handling things. I am already kicking myself over reading the spoilers already placed as I did not know that they referred to the source material. I will get as mad as a certain other member if people are not more careful with marking spoilers from the source material.

I don't think we have had properly marked spoilers for things to do with the source material.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
The purpose of spoiler tags is so that someone who is behind on a series can avoid future spoilers of content based on the context of the episode in question, but if you are up to the current episode and someone throws in spoilers from the manga/LN/etc. you have no way to distinguish that tag with the spoiler tags alone unless someone explicitly states that it's an LN spoiler.

So honestly if you care about others spoiler tags alone do not cut it. The tags are for people watching the show who are behind. Explicit wording, *** LN SPOILER WARNING ** etc. should be used if it's content that could not be reasonably expected in a thread about the anime. There is a reason the thread is tagged (TV).

Thats a rather ridiculous stance to take. Discussion threads for a series should assume that it's readers are all up to date on the series, and any spoiler tags must be for either source material, or future information given in interviews, magazines, etc.

Otherwise it would be pointless to discuss anything, as everything must be under a spoiler tag. Kirito parts ways with Klein at the end of episode one? Spoiler, tag it as such. Diabel is killed in the first boss fight? Spoiler, tag it as such. Discuss Kirito and Asuna's relationship? Spoiler tag. Kuradeel and poison? Spoiler tag.

If we use that logic, virtually every last thing under discussion should be covered by a spoiler tag for the benefit of someone that's only watched the first episode and is foolish enough to read current discussions.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
Sorry if you think so, but the rules say events of the latest episode need to be spoilered.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Sorry if you think so, but the rules say events of the latest episode need to be spoilered.

Nobody seems to be taking it that way, though. I've had things spoiler-tagged that were aired last month. It's really difficult to figure out where I'm supposed to draw the line.

As for LN spoilers vs anime spoilers, I'll specify if I'm talking about something the anime already skipped over, but other than that, I'd suggest simply not clicking the spoiler tags if youre worried. I don't think I've posted a future spoiler yet, and I don't plan to, but that may not apply to everyone.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Thats a rather ridiculous stance to take. Discussion threads for a series should assume that it's readers are all up to date on the series, and any spoiler tags must be for either source material, or future information given in interviews, magazines, etc.

Not the way it works around here, especially since we have cases every season where eps come out in fansubs a few days before they come out in legal streams (not usually the case with this series, but still). Major plot points from current episodes are expected to be spoiler-tagged. We tend to be a bit more liberal about allowing untagged discussion once events are a couple of episodes old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 274