• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Fafner - Heaven and Earth - Movie English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Stephanie Sheh usually appears in FUNi dubs under her actual name, and not an alias... why the sudden change?

I also find it weird that Johnny Yong Bosch is not reprising his role, when he was ironically the ONLY returning cast member for the Trigun movie, and he has been in several FUNimation-produced dubs over the past few years. What happened here? Though I am happy they at least got Micah Solusod to voice his character, since their voices are very similar.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
This is great news. Been looking forward this movie's release since Funimation announced last October that they had the licence. I'll have to go back and re-watch the anime series to re-familiarise myself with the story, as it's been a while. It will be interesting to see how the movie looks on BD.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
To be honest, this kinda makes me nervous regarding the Black Lagoon OVAs and Shana seasons 2 and 3.

If they weren't willing to get the original cast back for this movie, what guarantee do we have that they'll do it for those shows?

And I'll be honest.... I'd be REALLY upset if they replaced the actors for Black Lagoon. The original dub was damn near perfect already. Sad

I agree, the dub for Black Lagoon was excellent, I'm nervous as well.

What's odd to me is not having Johnny Yong Bosch reprise his role as Kazuki, I've seen the movie and the character's role in the film is a significant one as a main character, and he has done FUNi dubs before. Either way, I don't like it that FUNimation doesn't work alongside the Bang! Zoom! ADR studios and let them produce the dub the way that Sentai did for Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works and the second season of K-ON!. Stupid FUNimation, if Sentai can work alongside another dub studio to work on an anime they license, why can't FUNimation?!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure that we can take this, or even Trigun: Badlands Rumble, as clear signs for how they'll handle Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail. Fafner isn't as high profile a series as Black Lagoon and wasn't especially noted for the quality of its English adaptation as Black Lagoon was. The English dub of Trigun is fondly regarded by many, but it was a very nostalgic property with a pretty dedicated, yet modestly-sized base of stalwarts. I think it's ambiguous; we'll have to hope that Black Lagoon being more recent than Trigun* and bigger than Fafner** will give them an incentive to go to Ocean Studios for it.

*Geneon finished the initial release of Black Lagoon 4 years ago; Trigun's was 11 year ago.

**Fafner has been seen by 1,631 people, whereas Black Lagoon has been seen by 6,700 and Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage has been seen by 4,752. These numbers are from the ANN Encyclopedia; number from My Anime List show a similar trend. Absent sales figures, those the best we can do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
From what I understood, they actually tried to get the original Trigun cast back together. Dorothy Fahn was too busy with other projects, Lia Sargeant has largely quit voice acting for anime, and perhaps most famously, Jeff Nimoy was being a spoiled little diva about the whole situation.

Back on the subject, I have read on FUNimation's forums that they are indeed in talks with Ocean regarding season 2 of Shana, so let's hope those plans pan out.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
From what I understood, they actually tried to get the original Trigun cast back together. Dorothy Fahn was too busy with other projects, Lia Sargeant has largely quit voice acting for anime, and perhaps most famously, Jeff Nimoy was being a spoiled little diva about the whole situation.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=990501#990501

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=990619#990619
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure that we can take this, or even Trigun: Badlands Rumble, as clear signs for how they'll handle Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail. Fafner isn't as high profile a series as Black Lagoon and wasn't especially noted for the quality of its English adaptation as Black Lagoon was.

That may be true, but if FUNi could bring back Johnny for Sengoku Bassara (an entire 26+ episode series after Johnny only voiced the role for ONE game), then they could bring him back for this. Heck, Johnny's also voiced characters in FUNi dubs that were NOT reprised from past media! I guess it must depend on the director...

I guess it's possible Stephanie is working under an alias because she worked on one for the original series?

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
I don't like it that FUNimation doesn't work alongside the Bang! Zoom! ADR studios and let them produce the dub the way that Sentai did for Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works and the second season of K-ON!.

^^this.

Were circumstances different, I still wouldn't have been happy with the casting changes (no one's every happy with things like that), but would have accepted them on the grounds that it wouldn't be financially feasible to get the original cast back in the current state of the North American anime industry.

However, while FUNimation may have all the reasons in the world for making the decision to recast - and they may all be very compelling and perfectly valid - the fact that Sentai seems to have no problems bring back original casts leaves the perception that FUNimation is dropping the ball here.

And perception is all that matters, reality of the situation be damned.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
NO! HOW DARE YOU CHANGE THE VOICES, FUNI! I DON'T CARE IF MICAH SOLUSOD SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE JOHNNY YONG BOSCH! IT'S STILL NOT THE SAME WITHOUT THE SECOND BLACK RANGER!

Get the original Bang Zoom dub cast back! If there's any new characters exclusive to the movie, then maybe you could use in-house VAs. If ADV could do it with Nurse Witch Komugi (Using both Texas and Vancouver actors), FUNi can do it with Fafner. They've used California studios with Afro Samurai and Hellsing. The Trigun movie? At least they had the courtesy to keep Bosch as Vash. Nobody else can voice him. JYB (pbuh) IS VASH! Hence, he IS Kazuki!
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
If you'll let me opine, Bang! Zoom! and FUNimation don't like each other very much. BZ has said some very insulting comments about FUNimation in the past (back in 2009 when Eric Sherman was thinking he was going to have to close down his studio). That's probably why FUNimation isn't commissioning them for the Fafner movie. Why would you hire a studio that doesn't like you?

I'm not saying that FUNimation is blameless in the whole thing, FUNi has done some jerk moves in the past (which probably angered Mr. Sherman in the first place). But the two companies just don't get along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2