• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Cons

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedPheonix986

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
People all over the world have anime cons, right? There's also anime cons in U.S. < of course > But the odd thing is, if you ever noticed, there’s never an anime con in MO?! Evil or Very Mad Normally it’s in CA, TX, PA, IL, and FL. Anime cry Like MO there’s no anime com depressingly… I’m trying to start one myself, with the help of friends… What do you think about it? Does your place have anime cons? May you help in anyway for those who live in states without anime cons? What yould you do?spoiler[]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
Well yea if you live in a big city or even near a big city like New York or Los Angeles, than it's pretty much expected. I don't see a con happening soon in North Dakota or New mexico (even though I could be wrong). There's just not enough interested to support a major one.

The thing about con is that people from all over the state travel to go to one. Yes people from out of state take several days off to go to big con like anime expo and since it's during the summer, it's a good time to take a nice vacation too.
RedPheonix986

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
I may understand that many places don't have cons, and that going to a different place for a con would be nice but... Very Happy I believe having one that your own place would be better < like the ones that never have cons > Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Only states that vote for Kerry will have Anime Cons.
States that voted for Bush have less chance of having a con.

More specifically districts within states.

But the reality of the situation you need a density of paying anime fans to have a successful anime con.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere that there will be cons next year in 48 states 50 weekends.

Frankly, to me that's TOO many. Star Trek cons got that big and along with Rick Berman's incompetance ruined an entire fandom. Too many "me toos", not enough uniqueness.
Hunter Gren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
When I started planning sogen con, there where no conventions in minnesota, now that its nearly up and running there are 2.

Planning is hard and takes a lot of work, I hope your up to it becuase a properly planned convention in the right location can draw enough people to make it worth while.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
joshua-kun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I live in Hawaii right now and in April 2005 they are finally going have an anime convention here!! its hard to believe someone did not try to do this before since Hawaii has a ton of japanese tourists coming to it.
EviAngel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
Anime Detour 2005, hurray! Come, migrate to MN for a weekend, enjoy yourself. I think AD was the first anime con in MN, but I am not totally sure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hunter Gren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
EviAngel wrote:
Anime Detour 2005, hurray! Come, migrate to MN for a weekend, enjoy yourself. I think AD was the first anime con in MN, but I am not totally sure.

Yeah, it was the first full blown anime con, there where several little ones that called themselves cons, but Detour was the first real one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RedPheonix986

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Gren... Some one... >>
Rolling Eyes I was wondering if you may give me some ideas...
Like how an anime con is like! ^^
Thanks...
Hunter Gren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
watch anime, attend fan run panels, play video games, see celebrities ect.

check out www.anime-cons.com and look at the event list or guests list.

I would recomend attending a con or two before taking on the planning.

I've been to 5 this year alone, our planning committie has attended nearly 70 cons this year, experince is the best thing to have when putting a con together.

that and lots of money. Con's are expencive, we project $30,000-$70,000 in total costs, but we are also planning around 50 differnt activities and 20 guests or so including Japanese guests.

Good luck
moadib

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:08 am Reply with quote
Well, Lets see...

the original Evil or Very Mad and Anime cry was that there are no anime cons in MO. So let me try to make you a bit happy. I Run a convention that will be out in Florida in December, called OtakuCon Miami Beach (no relation to Otakon) and after December we will be running them all over the country, under the name Kunicon (Kuni = Nation or National) and our next Con after Miami is St Louis, MO. So send me an- e-mail and you and friends can get involved. Very Happy

www.kunicon.com
[email protected]
SwordsmanYen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Random Question, and i doubt neone can answer it, does anyone know of cons in the UK, i haven't but thats not saying a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PatrickD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
SwordsmanYen wrote:
Random Question, and i doubt neone can answer it, does anyone know of cons in the UK, i haven't but thats not saying a lot.

Check this URL for information on UK anime conventions (or any other country)...
http://www.anime-cons.com/

So far, only one has announced a date for 2005, but if you look at previous years you'll find there have been a handful of events.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1