• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes R1 DVD Update

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big K

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:45 am Reply with quote
As much as I desperately want to see this series, at $1700 it is just way too damned expensive for the average fan to buy the entire boxset. I could do my daily commute without car insurance and get the boxset but that wouldn't be the wise thing to do.

Is there a specific reason why they can't sell this as single DVD or even smaller boxsets because, dare I say, those bootlegs look mighty attractive at this point.
Foix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that the Hong Kong release (are they really bootlegs?) would really provide a valid alternative at this point: unless I haven't been looking in the right places, only the first 54 episodes or so are available, which doesn't extend the series much farther than the fansub release--and probably with an English script of inferior quality, as well.

I'm a big LoGH fan myself, but I could never see myself paying $1700 for the series. A season-by-season release with the same per-episode price point might be more acceptable. But what I imagine is making the price that high is the decision to scrap and reanimate some of the older episodes. If that's because of a serious degredation in the physical quality of the source tape, I suppose it's unavoidable; I hope they wouldn't be doing it, however, just for the sake of bringing the earlier episodes closer to the visual quality of current animation. I doubt that's something LoGH fans particularly care about, especially if it would drastically increase the expense of the box.
Syker 07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to see this series for an eternity, as I've heard nothing but good about it, but...$1700? *whistles*

I could definately work a seasonal box set every couple of months, but not all at once. I gots bills ta' pay. Snap your fingers if you feel me. o_0

Wonder if they'd do a "layaway" kind of thing, where you can pay into your purchase every so often. I'd be willing to shell out a couple hundred every few months to an account or something until I generate the sum. But I imagine that would be a nightmare to deal with for the company.

We need options!!

Syker Seven
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Math time kids! 1700/110=15.46

Wow, $15.46 per episode. I haven't seen anime priced like that since 1994. *cough*AD Vision*cough*

The entertainment industry is stupid all over the world I guess. "Lets fight piracy by making it more appealing!" Here's a very crazy idea, maybe if you price something fairly and, I don't know, maybe do it with some quality, then maybe, just maybe, people will buy it.

It's not like it would take a lot to beat the quality of the said bootlegs. Hong Kong DVD Anime subtitles are worse than your average American dub. All an anime company has to do is make sure: a.The translation is decent and b. The price of something that averages out to be about 5 or so dollars an episode and bam! 90% of the fans of the given show will dish out the money in favor of that mysterious box set on ebay with "NICE" written all over the product description.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Foix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:12 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
Math time kids! 1700/110=15.46

Wow, $15.46 per episode. I haven't seen anime priced like that since 1994. *cough*AD Vision*cough*

That's 110 episodes in the main storyline, plus 54 episodes of side stories and 3 movies. Two DVDs of unspecified extras aside, that's about ten bucks per episode. Again, I'd be a lot more likely to buy the things if they were released as individual $40 DVDs or $250 seasons.
Dorasaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd been a fan for so long, but recently life gets into the way that i fell short in attending LoGH news... (ok, i'll be honest, i was buying so many new mangas & d/ling new fansubs everyday, too) +_+

But i definitely need to pledge for an american dvd release. Anyone knows where, how, and how long this pledge must be?
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
OK, that makes things a little better.
But still all at once is just silly.

1700 bucks and I'd be out of debt, or I could get a new car. Hell, I could afford a girlfriend. haha
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm necro posting, but I find it odd that there has been absolutely no news on this since the original new article over a year ago.

So, anyone know of any updates to this?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The pledge is over it, it has been cancelled.

Now we just have to wait for someone to announce that they've licensed it...

-t
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
So which is it? Over and Cancelled without success, or over and just cancelled?

Obviously you made a mistake by saying it was cancelled without success, otherwise, you wouldn't do a second post.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
So which is it? Over and Cancelled without success, or over and just cancelled?

Obviously you made a mistake by saying it was cancelled without success, otherwise, you wouldn't do a second post.

Yeah, I made an assumption. I decided I didn't want to be quoted on it, so....

Rather than hitting "edit" I accidentally hit back... resulted in a double post.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:39 am Reply with quote
Title sounds familiar, IIRC i think it has something to do with Lord Locke: The Superman. Confused Iv'e been meaning to check this one out some time ago.

*looks at Big K's Avatar* very scawwy. Wink
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Title sounds familiar, IIRC i think it has something to do with Lord Locke: The Superman. Confused Iv'e been meaning to check this one out some time ago.

*looks at Big K's Avatar* very scawwy. Wink

Nope, LoGH has nothing to do with Lord Locke: The Superman.
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It's disappointing if this was cancelled and doesn't have any
chance for release here anymore.

It's a classic anime series that I've always wanted to see.

Although, that price tag was quite steep even with the 110
episodes.

Oh well, guess we will just have to keep waiting and hoping.

BTW, OT but who is the cute female elf character in the top left hand corner of the ANN website and does anyone know what anime and/or manga she
is in? Thanks in advance :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1