• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai: Resurrection Movie Debuts Sunday Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
bakaShin wrote:
As I am watching this as I type, I still can't believe an anime of this caliber gets so much attention and exposure compared to other anime.

I'm not sure whether this was a positive or negative comment towards the movie...

I'm guessing negative.

Anyways, Afro Samurai is an anime, but it's specifically geared towards US audiences, with a famous actor starring in the title role and serving as a producer even. This kind of helps it get some exposure. And I don't really think it really get's that much more exposure even so.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
one of the most overrated anime definately, but still nice thats it will be on tv
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
If I piss someone off with this post, so be it: my irritation isn't so much the exposure (no one can blame FUNi for milking a piping hot property), it's that an anime that reeks of what should have been left behind in the OVA era -- needless and excessive violence and sex -- are represented in this movie, and in fact brought back out in full force, and the producers KNEW that by airing it on Spike TV and placing Jackson in the lead role, they would reach the meatheaded jock crowd that thinks Spike TV is the height of basic cable programming.

I'm not calling anyone here a meathead jock, by the by. Just saying.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
If I piss someone off with this post, so be it: my irritation isn't so much the exposure (no one can blame FUNi for milking a piping hot property), it's that an anime that reeks of what should have been left behind in the OVA era -- needless and excessive violence and sex -- are represented in this movie, and in fact brought back out in full force, and the producers KNEW that by airing it on Spike TV and placing Jackson in the lead role, they would reach the meatheaded jock crowd that thinks Spike TV is the height of basic cable programming.

I'm not calling anyone here a meathead jock, by the by. Just saying.

I can understand your first point - I haven't seen the series, but from the glimpses I've caught of it does look pretty extreme - but I don't understand the second point. What's wrong with them putting it on a network where it is likely to do well?

I mean, if you got a kid's show, air it on a network with lot's of kids watching. If you got a show full of tons of senseless violence and sex, air it on a network where lot's of people who watch it like that stuff.

I wish more networks that don't usually show anime would be willing to air shows that fit in with their other programs like this.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I don't consider this anime either. It's an American animation title that happens to be animated by a Japanese studio.

It does, however, show you what GONZO is capable of when it has the money. Nice animation.

It only had 2 pointless sex scenes this time. Laughing
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I don't consider this anime either.

It does, however, show you what GONZO is capable of when it has the money. Nice animation.

In the TV version, that is. Unedited version, who knows?

And I think it's counts as anime. A joint US/Japan product, but it's still anime. Heck, the original series at least is even based off of a manga.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
It's not that I take issue with adult-oriented anime, this series just seems particularly low-brow to me. I don't expect something that's going to be a masterpiece, but a modicum of intelligence in my programming tastes is often welcome.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I don't consider this anime either.

In the TV version, that is. Unedited version, who knows?

And I think it's counts as anime. A joint US/Japan product, but it's still anime. Heck, the original series at least is even based off of a manga.

Exactly what I was going to say. Sure this title appeals strongly towards a Western audience, so much so that it received funding from America, but it was still made in Japan and based off of a manga. I consider Witchblade to be anime even though it's based off of an American comic book, so I don't see the problem for this.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I don't consider this anime either. It's an American animation title that happens to be animated by a Japanese studio.

Considering that the general Western definition of the term is "animation created in Japan," I'm sensing a self-contradiction here. Razz

I didn't get to see this tonight myself, though I half-wanted to. The original production was kind of fun, for what it was going for. Certainly not high art in the least, but reasonably entertaining.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
Anything to infuse capital into the industry is good in my book.

-Tofu
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Although it can be rather tricky to make the distinction, especially with regards to US/Japan coproductions, I do consider Afro Samurai to be anime, and let me tell you why:

You can't necessarily go by asking "where was it animated?" because in this day and age, both US and Japanese animations alike are all animated in Korea, China, India, and various other countries. So the question I ask is "where are the majority of the key creative staff from?" Are the writers/directors/etc prominently Japanese? In the case of Afro Samurai, the answer is yes, and that's why I consider it to be anime but not something like say, the original Batman: The Animated Series (animated in Japan, written/directed by people in the US). Note that "majority" is subjective, as is what one considers "key" creative staff; although this isn't the thread for it (so if you want to dispute it then please do so elsewhere), I say Batman: Gotham Knight--another recent US/Japan coproduction--counts as anime because the majority of the staff was Japanese. It was written by US folks, and certainly the producers at DC got to be heavily involved (a little too much so for my tastes), but that's my judgment.

The point can however be argued that another important question to ask is "who is the intended primary target audience?" Indeed, I use similar lines of reasoning when I find myself explaining to people why I classify certain titles as "manga" and others not. But it just feels wrong for me to apply that to anime, because that would mean that MD Geist II: Death Force wasn't anime! And that just simply couldn't be. Oh, right that reminds me:

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
an anime that reeks of what should have been left behind in the OVA era -- needless and excessive violence and sex --

As you have made multiple posts by this point espousing this viewpoint, I can only assume that your convictions are indeed sincere about it. In which case, might I remind you that irony and sarcasm don't exist on the Internet. Nobody can tell that you're making a facetious statement because there are plenty of people who actually believe what you consider to be a witty joke.

What I'm trying to say here is that your profile interests list one thing and one thing alone: "Those Japanese cartoons with boobs and gore." Consider revising this, as it doesn't appear to be true!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Um...that part is a joke, and it's a joke on the ol' stereotype of anime from way back when.

See, I AM being serious in my views on this show. It ISN'T my thing.

Uh...oh, whatever.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Interesting, really? He's always voicing cartoon characters.

Also, this isn't his first time doing an animation released by Funimation, as you mentioned.

I don't know why people are surprised at his resume' as a voice actor. That's how he got his start (70s-Hanna Barbera animation series).

Nice guy IRL too, always willing to give some advice to those who ask.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The intended primary audience to me is Western populaton. It's just too Western feeling to me to be considered anime no matter who is the animation studio.

The guns, lasers, boom box with missiles in it, samurai with a tobacco addiction....
Wild_Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
First time poster! Watched this last night. Not bad. At the same time, I found the pacing a little hard to get into. Also, didn't seem like they did much actual fight choreography (can't compare to Sword of the Stranger!). Voice acting was a little hot and cold. But, the backgrounds were pretty dazzling.

All in all though, felt like a 'safe sequel' which to me isn't so exciting.

BTW - I'm glad for anything that puts money into the industry as well. But, to be honest, my taste is more Gurren Lagann, Haruhi, Stand Alone Complex, Mind Game, and Miyazaki / Ghibli. So, I probably like more of the 'Japan-only ' produced stuff - or at least the stuff where there's a true creative collaboration and not just some Americans colonizing a studio.

For example, I thought Animatrix was really great and Gotham Night was just terrible. But, I hope more stuff comes down the road! I'm always willing to give cool animation a shot. I think the more of this kind of stuff gets made, the better a chance we'll get that something really interesting / sophisticated / visually exciting will happen.

Anyway, the video game looks pretty amazing. I'll probably try that out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3