• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Manga Part 3 Republished in Revised Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikuru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It's dumb that people would feel some people might get the impression of "THOSE EBUL TERRORISTS" just from seeing some Middle Eastern items in a comic. But nothing, NOTHING can compare to THIS classic little item: MORE RACIST THAN MEETS THE EYE

Of course, the original cartoon did a LOT of things that would be considered wrong by today's PC standards...

Really helping international relations there Anime hyper

I have a Muslim friend who is a HUGE fan of Jojo and I asked him "Do that many Muslims read Jojo?" and he told me "No, probably one guy was reading it and then sent a chain e-mail to all his friends."

I wonder what the reaction would be if Jojo (or another good guy) was reading the Qu'ran instead of Dio?
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Motherfucking pussies.

Glad I'm an Atheist.

You and me both.

I don't get why Muslims feel they have some special "right" to not be offended. TO ANY AND ALL BUTTHURT MUSLIMS READING THIS WHO WERE BITCHING AND MOANING ABOUT JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE: YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Out of curriosity, how many months or years has this case been around? I read in the article this event happened in the series in 2001, but I wonder if that is the date this whole issue started?
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Don't know what to say except that I'm extremely disheartened that even anime now kowtows to Islamist demands. Crying or Very sad
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Don't know what to say except that I'm extremely disheartened that even anime now kowtows to Islamist demands. Crying or Very sad

Why the hell do they have to go and pander to these butthurt Muslims? Talk about throwing free speech out the window!
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd say blame the liberals. Because, you know, anything even slightly un-PC is SO WRONG.

I mean, is it evil of me to still find Carbombya funny? And people mock and stereotype America all the time and we don't bitch about it. Seriously, they need to grow balls about this kind of thing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Unit: People offended by Jojo are more likely conservative, unless the characters are smoking. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Dang, this news came late. I would have liked to see what the "Chicks" thought about this a few weeks back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'd say blame the liberals. Because, you know, anything even slightly un-PC is SO WRONG.

I guess it's sucks to be one like myself!

Quote:
I mean, is it evil of me to still find Carbombya funny? And people mock and stereotype America all the time and we don't bitch about it. Seriously, they need to grow balls about this kind of thing.

I wish.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

What do you expect from those far-left, group-think pussies anyway? Of course they'd pander to Muslims like this.

What the publishers need to do is just print the manga completely intact, right down to the Islamic references (Given the setting in Egypt and all). Show those butthurt Muslims that they're not afraid to publish something that might offend them. If they're still raging and crying in their hugboxes about it, that's their problem. Don't like it? Don't read it!

Kinda reminds me of all the drama caused by those Danish Muhammad cartoons...why the hell did they have to get all offended about it? What the hell were they doing looking at it in the first place if it would piss them off?
Mikuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
This thread has disappointed me. It seems to me all discussions on the internet about Muslims are the same.

Usually people being angry at damned liberals,swearing,and talking about how Islam is going to take over the Earth.

Can't we have some more intelligent discussion?...

Let's try to understand why people are upset about this.
There are Muslim otaku in the world...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
And people mock and stereotype America all the time and we don't bitch about it.

Fox News indicates otherwise. You know, the people who blame liberals and terrorists for everything.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
I'm not calling this a Muslim thing, a Christian thing, a liberal thing, or conservative and libertarian thing. It's just plain stupid. Especially when Jojo is so obscure in comparison to Naruto and Bleach. In most other forum I go to, I see people who claim they have never seen, read or even heard of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and yet this crap is pulled off!?

Is this the reason why I can't find copies of Phantom Blood on DVD or on the internet!? If so, insert the Angry Video Game Nerd's iconic quote that it's a you know what load of what in replacing the "whats." I don't hate all muslims for this, but I hope the specific censorship group that demanded such a thing get shot for this bull crap. No matter your religion or political orientation, this kind of idiocy is just trying to show you got some sort of superiority/inferiority complex. Especially when you go as far as attacking a manga that a majority of the anime/manga fanbase doesn't give two $#*+'s about.

I'm a big Jojo fan myself. I own a good portion of the manga, VHS, LDs, and DVDs of the Phantom Blood series, and I own the games on Dreamcast, SNES, PSOne, and PS2. The rest of the anime mainstream community not watching it is one thing, but a group of Muslims wanting to censor something I never really recognized nor care what Dio was reading as the Quran is another.

Oh yeah, scratch what I said about them getting shot. I hope someone freezes time on them with ZA WAURDO and then gets knives thrown at these extremists who want to censor Jojo.

Praise Araki-sensei that I'm an agnostic libertarian. Cool Laughing Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2