• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notazaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I find that unlikely. The current system works fine, its not as efficient as the old one, but its quite likely far more consistent and reliable.

The Incubators have no motivation to mess with a system that works perfectly fine. That would not, after all, be logical.

Regarding the systems: Yeah basically spoiler[ the old system had huge but inconsistent payloads of emotional energy while under the new system the payoffs are smaller but come more regularly based on the way Kyubey was eating(?)/storing those cubes.]

I don’t disagree that it’s unlikely that the Incubators would mess with things for no reason but if I were Homura I still wouldn’t have told Kyubey. Granted they have no reason now but things change. But that’s just wild speculation on my part and has no baring on the story being told.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Quote:
I think the main problem with the ending is that a full understanding of it relies on supplemental materials unavailable to us casual viewers, who only watched the show.

I have to disagree here. A sufficient understanding of the ending requires only a sufficient understanding of the rest of the show and perhaps some discussion. I have not played the PSP games, read the manga, read the guidebooks, etc.; I've arrived at my understanding of the show through multiple viewings (and hours spent translating/checking the dialog) and many hours of reading and writing discussion about the show. Everything you need to unravel the story is there in the show, it just may require more than one viewing (and a rune translation sheet) to find. That's part of the fun.

The Madoka wiki facts and speculah pages, forum discussions, etc. were constructed/held during the airing of the show based on facts and speculation about things in the show, pretty much exclusively.

So, I agree that a casual viewer who only watched the show once may be missing some details (I think even the very attentive viewer will, for that matter), but I think they're there in the show, even if they're not always as well presented as they maybe could be (for example, Kyoko's character development).

I agree, but at the same time, it isn't PingDrum. By that, I mean that you can watch casually and still have a good (if not profound) experience. Indeed, it took a second viewing to fully capture everything, but I thoroughly enjoyed my first viewing. Also, the episode count is such that it isn't exactly onerous to expect somebody to give it a second time through.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
So, rather than going the route of seeing the Japanese version first, wait x-amount of days until my sister had the time (who had seen the entire series subbed last summer, mind you) and then seeing the English dub upon getting the BD/DVD.... I'm kind of half-way through the process, but in reverse order. Basically, just got done with a fresh viewing of the English dub (I skipped out on a live viewing of the nico nico event, not wanting to see the dubbed episodes out of order, but I forget to timeshare on it...). And.... yeah, I found the dub to be as satisfactorily enjoyable and honestly good as the last volume's dub-- if not more, considering the lack of any somewhat strange areas on par with the second volume (like the hope/despair thing and the train conversation).

Not too sure why Zac seemed to take more obvious issue with Cabanos' performance here than in previous reviews; the times she cried were good, she was quiet and reserved for the sake of gravitas at the appropriate scenes, her voice was positively upbeat in the "happier times" shown in the tenth episode. Trying to presently compare the "emotional" scene of episode 11 that discuses the livestock parallels as I type this sentence, and... I really don't notice anything that just screamed "ooh, there should be more emotion there!" Zac states "[...]it feels like [Cabanos is] putting the exact same amount of feeling behind her line readings in these crucial episodes as she does in the earlier ones," but I don't get that all with the exposition filled conversations/passive listening experiences between her and Kyubey in episodes 9 & 11. Just as Madoka is more upset at Kyubey at this stage of the story, so does Cabanos' acting reflect that, it feels. Then again, I suppose that the claim that she's putting the exact same amount of effort in earlier episodes carries the subjective viewpoint that she didn't try all that hard anyway-- which if true, I very much disagree with.

You know, for as long I've been visiting this site, I don't think I've really formed a concrete idea on Zac's "philosophy" or his enjoyment of dubs. More often than not, I've seen him criticize them (like with Gankutsuou, Redline, etc...) Does Zac prefer subs the vast majority of the time? (If so, then I guess I can't relate to that perspective too much: the majority of the series that I've truly enjoyed in my life have chiefly been viewed in English)

Juno016 wrote:

5) On the topic of the English dub... I still haven't seen episodes 9-11 in English, but I watched the final episode's niconico broadcast. If I have any right to judge, based on the performance of episodes 1-8 and the actual ending of the series (where everything came together)... I think the dub passes. I would definitely show it to someone unwilling to watch subtitled anime, and I wouldn't mind it being on television for the mainstream public either (regardless of whatever insanely stupid Western culture phenomenon comes out of it... or doesn't come out of it...). It's certainly presentable when you get past the whole "script has been directly translated from the Japanese with little concern over casual smoothness in English 80% of the time--10% of the opposite case being some awkward changes that give the wrong impression of the scenes/themes/setting" thing. But... it's not outstanding.

On a curious note, exactly what have you heard in the dub that accounts for awkwardly dubbed conversation that involves too little "casual smoothness"? I might see how one can get that impression from the train station scene and a little less so regarding the good/bad dialogue (or are those the actually casual conversations that became too loose for your tastes?), but besides that.... well, I don't recall anything particularly (or memorably) weird, and I'm an English major entering his fourth year with a creative writing concentration, for goodness sake. Care to enlighten me? Something tells me that most of the script isn't really that awkward, and whatever is there that is awkward would probably be more forgivable than not, given just how precise and filler-free the sub-script is.

Quote:
From the beginning, there are a few well-acted scenes, and I see how the English voice actresses really fit the voice in comparison with the Japanese voice actresses. Yet, I just can't help but feel like the actresses were reading from a script most of the time. I mean, I could feel emotion in some scenes, but the overall awkwardness of the voice type in English really irked me. For a while there, I considered that they might want to switch the roles of Christina Vee (Homura) and Carrie Keranen (Mami). In the final episode, when Madoka spoiler[[s]friendzoned[/s] confronted Homura in the space-time-dimension-world-thingy-place], her voice sounded monotone most of the time, rather than spoiler[pleasantly convicted to her chosen destiny]. And when the spoiler[universe changed], Homura became extremely flat and monotone (sounds fitting when I say it like that, but her vocals aren't monotone in the Japanese dub--they're full of subtle changes in tone to sound very purposefully high-strung and confident).

But... I took my Homura-Mami-voice-switch thing back when I got to the last episode broadcast and experienced Christina Vee's spoiler[emotional] performance as Homura. HOLY MACRO, I felt goosebumps with that performance. I hate to admit it, but from what I can remember, I think I just about submitted to feeling like she did a better job in that scene than Saito did--and Saito did an amazing job, too! But Christina Vee pulled off so much emotion in her performance that even the awkwardly-written script didn't ruin it for me. The tears suddenly started flowing and I was confused as all heck. My heart was shattered... I shudder just thinking about it, though my brain might just be messing with my memories a bit and glorifying it a little. Either way, I can't deny all the feelings I had at the time. Stunning! /and then she went back to being monotone. The end. Anime hyper

Another critique that induces facial expressions so-befuddled-that-my-face-is-aching: the use of "monotone" as a Madoka-dub descriptor. When I think of something being detrimentally "monotone," I think the dub performances of the overdone Prince Mutou of Princess Tutu, what little I've heard from Utena & Anthy themselves in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kenshin from Trust & Betrayal, and the most recent offender (to me), what's-her-face from Cowboy Bebop's "Boogie-Woogie Feng-Shui." So with Madoka-- for the vast majority of the spoken lines, at least in the episodes/parts of episodes where it Mattered-- I'd never consider the thought of so-and-so performance to be "monotone" without someone else suggesting it. Just how much inflection does there have to be in the voices to satisfy? Would it be better if the voices were at a louder volume? I guess this is an area where our tastes become truly subjective after going outside of a more mutually agreed standard of what is too monotone, like those examples I've listed above....? *shrugs* Don't know. Maybe I seem forgiving because a part of me hasn't gotten over just how generally good this dub is for me, given the fact that 5/6 of its main cast are all young and emotional 13-15 year-old girls, with the only male secondary characters being Tomohisa Kaname and Kyosuke (the latter of whom is also played by a girl!). I haven't seen all that many dubs in the past several years, so it might be a disservice to think this far back... but the last time I remember an apparently "good" dub cast that's nearly entirely female and in an anime that's very dramatic and deliberately scripted with little-to-zero humor was when I saw Haibane Renmei almost a decade ago. In all honesty, I'm not sure if I could see the voice casting & acting being handled in a noticeably better way, what with the current environment of the American side of the anime industry.

Quote:
The one thing I was worried about from episodes 7 and 8 in the dub was spoiler[the change from the ever-inclusive themes of "hope" and "despair" to "good" and "bad"]. If they had stuck to that (somehow) in the final episode, I would have failed the dub immediately. There are some things you can change in an English dub to adapt to the audience, but... with such a direct translation of the Japanese (including an exaggeration of the direct Japanese when Hitomi shouted something about homosexuals in one of the first two episodes), I just don't see how those two themes could be troublesome to cover. It felt like they were dumbing it down a notch. Of course, that itself doesn't break the dub, but... of all terms to choose from to change, they chose the two that were central to the entire series and even the creator's life! I don't get it! Why?

Funnily enough, I had actually written up a decent-sized "conclusion-minded" response regarding that sub-topic on a Word document, but I didn't get around to posting it to the thread for volume 3, as the thread was kinda on life support at the time and I didn't want to "revitalize it" "too much" or too soon, as this was at around a time where I REALLY had to be hunker down and get ready for finals. (Didn't want to be preoccupied with following a review thread at the end of a semester). Now here it is , in it's predominantly unedited glory! (this'll make more sense if you read towards the end of that review-talkback thread):

A Me almost two months younger wrote:

Sub script:
If you wish for hope, an equal amount of despair will rain down upon you too.
That’s how the world stays in equilibrium, and the world’s balance doesn’t get disturbed.

Dub script:
If you wish for something good to happen, a whole lot of bad stuff’s gonna happen too. I guess that’s how the world stays in balance. Good, bad, everything zeroes out.

[...] First, do we know if the script adapter worked off the translation of the subtitles, or did he work off of some other translation? If the former, maybe it was also a case of the translated dialogue not sounding natural “enough” when spoken—“wishing” and “hope,” even being grammatically correct, sound somewhat redundant, and “despair will rain down upon you” sounds better on paper than aloud. Of course a less awkward way might have been attempted, but who knows what went through the minds of the people that handled or saw the dub script. ADR may have just simply not seen the nuances inherent in hope and despair in this scene… and honestly, if I haven’t read so much stuff said by Urobuchi, whether magazine interviews or that one article in which he mentioned 9/11 (I believe it was that latter one where he especially talked about one’s hope becoming another’s despair), I might’ve not come to think about the nuances of the terms much. Heck, I really didn’t have a coherent grip on the nuances of hope and despair until you and Juno elaborated on it here; my initial gripe was only “good” and “bad” sounding less eloquent, after all.

Also-- in the exact context of the moment, ignoring how the deliberately said concepts of hope and despair prop up the narrative for later on, the script seems to work a bit more than I had thought. “Good” and “Bad” are used primarily in an adjectival sense by Kyoko—“something good” and “bad stuff,” so they don’t hold the same meaning to me as good itself and bad/evil itself.

Maybe it really is nitpickiness after all… :p

Don't feel any obligation to respond to my specific points there.... just didn't want to let my typing from back then to go to waste!

Juno016 wrote:

But the final episode brought back the original two terms (which confused me even more, ironically--I mean, why change it back now?). It saved my personal opinion of the dub from dropping drastically.

Well, they 'brought back' those original terms starting from episode 9, from Kyubey's conversation. In turn, no mention or simplification of "hope=good" and "despair=bad" was made; thusly, hope and despair are the greater Key Vocabulary Words in the dub. I suspect that at the end of the day, for better or for worse, that those involved with the English dub didn't think all that much of the distinctions.

Quote:

But yeah. I'll be able to judge it a little better when I raise enough personal funds to re-order the final limited edition again (on top of the Ultimate Madoka figure, if I can make it in time. I haven't even gotten my first paycheck for the summer... so I'm kinda worried that I won't make it before all the discounted opportunities are gone...).

Yeah, good luck with that! Look forward to hearing some more specific thoughts on the dub from you for this volume...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
bhl88 wrote:
@nozu: And Kyubey cannot lie here, as he will have to tell the girls that they will disappear.

Kyubey doesn't necessarily lie. He just leaves out a lot of information that we as humans would find important, but in his spoiler[alien] mind is irrelevant to the matter at hand.

I meant that in the spoiler[new world improved by Madoka], he's supposed to tell the girls what will happen to them
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Her body isn't dead, it's just soul-less. It still seems to function but she can't die if it dies.[/spoiler] If they had given more of a clear reason why she couldn't be with him it would have made more sense to me - like if he had figured out this whole magical girl thing and cast her away, or if her rival for his attention had figured it out and convinced him that she was some kind of freak.

Since I still was emotionally affected by her story, it didn't kill it for me. I still liked her story, but I do think that was one area it could have been improved.

I think the thing with this story is that everything is happening too fast. But in the way that it stresses the characters in the story, not just in the short 12 episode format. Also, there's no telling if the spoiler[ way Sayaka is sunk deep into depression is a mechanic of the Incubators where such emotional depths are felt more suddenly and with much more force than usual]

I still sympathized with Sayaka a lot (maybe more than most characters) because I know how it is like to fight a futile fight, no matter how correct or just your beliefs may be. With some of these characters, it's not the most natural plot progression that seems to matter. It's what the characters ultimately represent.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Another thing - going back to the ending... it seemed like another unexplained plothole spoiler[that Madoka's baby brother still remembered her, despite the fact that Homura was supposed to be the only one who did.] I don't know if this was the writer's attempt to give us some emotional fan service or something. To be honest, yes it worked on me and I felt something, but I also felt like it was kind of a cheap trick.

I respectfully disagree. The thing is, the creators already said Madoka's brother spoiler[ will forget all about Madoka upon growing up, much like the way it's thought that kids with imaginary friends will lose their memory of such things when they grow up]. Plus, the bonds of the family probably has something to do with it, all things considered. If it was just some totally random child who remembers Madoka, that would not make any sense as I see it.

Quote:
Having thought some more about dandelion_rose's idea about the ending, I feel that has merit but it still doesn't make this an A+ show for me. For me, an A+ show grabs you up, puts you through an emotional and/or action packed roller coaster, then doesn't let you go until long after the ending. Cowboy Beebop was an A+ show for me. Death Note was an A+ show. Even though I didn't love FLCL, the ending of it was good enough that it could have been A+ if the rest of the show had been more coherent. Madoka grabbed me up and put me through an emotional roller coaster, and then right before the roller coaster got to the big finish I was told to get off. If Madoka really does serve to revitalize the magical girl genre in some way, maybe it's rating will improve with me if it has a lasting (and positive) impact on future shows. But right now, standing on its own, I just can't say I agree that it's A+ material because at the end all of the creative risks and subversions which were building to a peak were pulled back for the sake of the comfort of the audience.

I personally disagree a bit considering both Death Note and Cowboy Bebop didn't really leave much to the imagination. Stuff like Madoka where they leave a lot to the imagination plus the possibility of many realities and universes and types of mages/incubators/witches etc, it leaves a lot to future speculation. All of which is very valid. That said, I do think those shows you mentioned are classics, but I think Madoka is one for differing reasons. In that the show revels more in mysteries and emotions and the intangibles more so than something that spells it all out like Death Note does for example.

That said, I think the reason why Madoka serves as a positive for all magical girl shows is that if you think about it, Madoka's ending is reminiscent of spoiler[ all those magical queens/princesses with unlimited power and are basically goddesses in the magical girl shows' universes. It is in effect, an origin story for one of those magical girl princesses of the universe. These kinds of origin speculation happens in all magical girl shows. But Madoka finally puts it on the forefront. And it enriches the entire genre for it in terms of speculation. Now there's no telling just how saddening and torturous it must have been for some magical girl queens/princesses to have that kind of ultimate power]
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
On a side note, since I brought up Claymore before, I wonder how much people think Gen Urobuchi borrowed some of his ideas and themes from Claymore for PMMM. Obviously, the whole heroine reaching a limit and becoming ultimate evil thing is a key component of both shows. Both shows deal with human girls who voluntarily went through some kind of irreversible procedure which makes them into... something else. I suppose in Claymore, the evil girls were a bit more interesting because they still had some amount of their sentience remaining, whereas in PMMM they just kind of go totally insane. Also, in Claymore the "limit" reached is more of a pleasure, almost sexual euphoria, where in PMMM it is dispair. I'm sure there are many other ways the two could be compared, and it would be interesting to see a more full study.

I don't think that's fair considering that trope has existed in magical girl shows for decades. Though not as harsh as the more modern day fiction involving girls/women, but there always has been that element out there. I see where you're coming from, but it's really hard to pin it down on one thing. Plus, the idea was mostly stemmed from Akiyuki Shinbou who proposed the idea to begin with.

Including even how in Pretty Cure, negative emotion and lack of cooperation leads to a direct loss of power or even dabbling into the darker strata of magical power. It is a common theme.

The thing we should be talking about is Gen Urobuchi's style is that his stories has always been about karmic revenge or karmic salvation.

Watch his brilliant stuff in Blassreiter or Phantom-Requiem for the Phantom and he explores in very many varieties, the way characters torture themselves for revenge to those who ultimately get their justice even at a heavy emotional/physical cost. Urobuchi is an absolute genius when it comes to that and he's doing great work with Fate/Zero as well. In the end, Madoka really comes down to Urobuchi's writing themes of karmic vengeance/salvation quite a lot. You see different versions of it with all the characters.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The show gave me no yuri vibes. But then I tend to not be looking for that sort of thing.

Sorry Zac, but I think there were obvious signs at a lot of potential shipping routes between Sayaka/Kyouko and Madoka/Homura. The thing is, it's not necessarily outright explicitly said so. Just heavily, heavily implied. And what more, the interviews with the creators pretty much proved that they worked them into the script.

Which is fine really. Magical girl shows often do this. It's pretty natural.

dandelion_rose wrote:

As for the yuri subtext, I can see that it's certainly intended by the creators*, but to me the characters don't lend that way. Sayaka and Kyoko's affections are too thin for me, and Homura and Madoka's don't really lean that way to me either.

I like yuri (more importantly, I like yuri that I can personally relate to, and that is extremely hard to find) but I think PMMM works well (if not better) without thinking of the yuri undertones.

* character songs and fan-teasing official images aren't canon.

At the same time, one can't just say the yuri subtext absolutely can't exist. There's no real way of telling for absolutely sure. Just that with Homura and her intense sense of protection for Madoka (and the other way around), it's *awfully* close to being yuri-ism. Not that there's anything hugely sexual about it, but the final scene is really ambiguous at best at least in terms of symbolism. One can probably see shipping or platonic views of it and it'd probably be both legitimate. A lot of girl-power aspects often leads to semi-canonical shipping possibilities with anime, especially magical girl shows.

For me personally, I don't see why yuri-ism would tarnish the show at all. I've lived with the implications in a lion's share of magical girl shows I've watched loyally. It doesn't really change the core story, except for the typical amount of information anime typically leaves to imagination. Which is precisely what shipping usually is: imagination and fantasy as to the possibilities. Also, shipping/yuri doesn't have to be provocatively sexual either.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
*see above for reply*

1) "Casual Smoothness":

"I... I really don't think you should do something like that..." <-- Very anime-like. Natural for anime. Somewhat natural for Japanese. Not natural for English fluidity.

"....[hesitation]....I don't think that a good idea. At all." <-- Casual smoothness. It uses more commonly-observed linguistic patterns we'd hear in normal conversation.

Fans of anime who have gotten used to Japanese-like speaking patterns can probably deal with a lot of lines like the first example. Some people even adapt it subconsciously, but it's not common and it sounds artificial to a linguistically-trained ear (which most people have, even if they don't analyze everything they hear linguistically). Madoka's script follows the first example.

It's not so much wrong as... it sounds a bit too awkward for your common audience. And even those who are accustomed to hearing Japanese, even if they don't understand it, find it weird when a sentence is spoken like it was written from a directly-translated script rather than spoken with English casual smoothness.

In this dub, I feel like the script's direct translating makes it difficult to give casual, smooth, natural-sounding English. And thus, it starts sounding artificial to me. And I'd bet it would for a main stream audience (for instance, if they put it on Toonami).

2) "Monotone."

One tone, or pitch. In natural English, it's not only the words that make the difference. It's how you say them. Intonation is BIG. <-- like in that sentence, I bet you read it with the "BIG" being pronounced at a slightly different tone than the rest of the sentence (like two different kinds of drums that make the same sound, but one sounds lower than the other) . You hear it that way because the capital letters emphasize the word, similar to how people emphasize words when speaking.
It's not like I didn't hear "pleasantness" or "happiness" in Madoka's voice at the end. I just felt like it was being force-read to sound happy. It's not that the actress wasn't into her role... but it came out unintentionally monotone when she tried to read from a pre-prepared script in which there IS no correct English intonation. So the most natural, subconscious way to speak the line is in monotone. Not like the "dry eyes" commercial guy who speaks that way to sound boring on purpose, but like someone who has a little experience up their belt, and yet, is not quite that professional enough to catch their own intonation like they do on broadway.

3) "Good" and "Bad."

The Japanese line uses "zero," too. And it's not "rain down upon you" as much as "spans out" Meaning, for every miracle you pray for, your prayer of hope is affecting someone or something else in a way that cause it despair. Thus, the overall happiness is zero.
Hence, spoiler[why Sayaka realized her wish for hope brought hope to Kyousuke, but made it impossible for her to feel human enough to approach him again. And Kyouko's wish for her father to be righteous in the eyes of others eventually caused him to believe her to be evil. Being meguca is suffering. You can't take such a miracle lightly.] The English doesn't exclude that, but it's so vague with those terms, it's hard to pin it as "hope" and "despair" without making individual preconceptions about what "good" and "bad" are, too. "Hope" and "despair" are pretty conclusive and precise, but when Kyouko said "good" and "bad," I had to think for a moment before I realized she wasn't saying that spoiler[her wish was bad, but that it had been good, and her father wasn't good, but had done something bad. My preconceived notion that wishing for fake followers was a bad thing, and that her father being righteous was good kinda confused me before I remembered the original Japanese as "hope" and "despair" instead. That put it back into the right perspective. My girlfriend thought the same thing as me, so I can't really be alone in this, right?]

Glad they returned the actual terms in the next episode, though. I got worried when "good" and "bad" turned up again in episode 8. It still won't fix the disconnect of "hope" and "despair" in episodes 9-12 with the "good" and "bad" of 7-8, which were used to actually introduce the themes to the show. It'll take some analyzing to connect the points properly without them coming from out of nowhere in episode 9.

Gah... Ultimate Madoka or Limited Edition #3...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
http://imperialx.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/madoka-doesnt-need-a-sequel-to-explain-itself/

The above link was originally posted in the discussion thread for Volume 2 but I only just saw it today. I think it clears some things up while offering interesting hypothesises for others. spoiler[I like the hypothesis about why Homura still remembers Madoka, which is because Homura's wish to protect Madoka means she (Homura) cannot forget about her (Madoka), Which, if true, raises an interesting point. What if one wish (no matter how big) cannot override another? What if the world had been constantly reshaped many times before Godoka got to it, each wish adding a new layer while not removing any of the old ones? Like, the Great Depression might not originally have happened but then one girl wished for lots of money which when withdrawn from her family's account led to a run on banks and inadvertently caused the stockmarket crash? And then no matter what other girls wished for the crash was still there because it was necessary for the first girl's wish? Just an example, don't take it literally.]

That's what I like about the show and its ending. It closed off all the plot threads it needed to (thereby giving us a sense of satisfaction and completion) while still leaving acres of room for speculation (which we can have lots of intellectual fun with). It's an effing amazing situation to be in as a fandom, is what it is.

fireaxe wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It was love but it wasn't Yuri. That's how I see it.

I know what you mean, but that's a very confusing statement.

Yuri is more a romantic love in my eyes. While Homura undoubtedly loved Madoka, it was more than "I want to have intercourse with you", though I doubt that Homura would have refused if Madoka had invited her to bed . . . . . .
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I find that unlikely. The current system works fine, its not as efficient as the old one, but its quite likely far more consistent and reliable.

The Incubators have no motivation to mess with a system that works perfectly fine. That would not, after all, be logical.

Regarding the systems: Yeah basically spoiler[ the old system had huge but inconsistent payloads of emotional energy while under the new system the payoffs are smaller but come more regularly based on the way Kyubey was eating(?)/storing those cubes.]

I don’t disagree that it’s unlikely that the Incubators would mess with things for no reason but if I were Homura I still wouldn’t have told Kyubey. Granted they have no reason now but things change. But that’s just wild speculation on my part and has no baring on the story being told.

My problem with that theory is that spoiler[Incubators can't risk an all out war with Madoka. She is a goddess surpassing all logic and power and reasoning and I'm not sure Incubators would risk getting wiped out entirely if they keep attacking Madoka's idealized world so directly. And despite what Kyubee says about the lack of emotions, he seemed plenty frightened of what Madoka was going to do when she made her wish]
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Veers wrote:
Quote:
I think the main problem with the ending is that a full understanding of it relies on supplemental materials unavailable to us casual viewers, who only watched the show.

I have to disagree here. A sufficient understanding of the ending requires only a sufficient understanding of the rest of the show and perhaps some discussion. I have not played the PSP games, read the manga, read the guidebooks, etc.; I've arrived at my understanding of the show through multiple viewings (and hours spent translating/checking the dialog) and many hours of reading and writing discussion about the show. Everything you need to unravel the story is there in the show, it just may require more than one viewing (and a rune translation sheet) to find. That's part of the fun.

I agree, but at the same time, it isn't PingDrum. By that, I mean that you can watch casually and still have a good (if not profound) experience. Indeed, it took a second viewing to fully capture everything, but I thoroughly enjoyed my first viewing. Also, the episode count is such that it isn't exactly onerous to expect somebody to give it a second time through.

I would like to add here, to clarify my previous post, that I think really understanding the story actually does require some supplemental material, but not supplemental Madoka material. Madoka's storyline assumes familiarity with the concept of universal entropy, spoiler[multi-worlds theory, time travel and dimensional theory,] magical girl genre tropes, Gen Urobuchi's storytelling style/history (sort of), and the biblical spoiler[salvation story].

You don't need to understand all these things to follow the story because the show tells/shows you enough (specifically in regards to how spoiler[entropy and time travel are used as story elements]) to get by, but having an understanding of them will allow you to get more out of the experience, and definitely more out of discussion. The supplemental Madoka material came later. The fans following the show while it aired figured things out without them, which means others can, too.

Shippoyasha wrote:
I think the thing with this story is that everything is happening too fast. But in the way that it stresses the characters in the story, not just in the short 12 episode format.

Back when the show aired and we had a week (or more, after the flooding) for speculah between every episode, it never felt like things were happening too fast. I think the script was definitely written with a week-by-week viewing pace foremost in mind. Just sayin'.

Juno wrote:
Gah... Ultimate Madoka or Limited Edition #3...

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Ultimate Madoka is going to sell out sooner than NA LE3 set.

Shippoyasha wrote:
My problem with that theory is that spoiler[Incubators can't risk an all out war with Madoka]

Of course not, because they don't even know/believe she exists. Wink Kyubey obviously doesn't take Homura's story very seriously, and he's still getting what he wants, so why fix what ain't broke, right?

Edit: Borked spoiler tag Mad

Last edited by Veers on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Another thing - going back to the ending... it seemed like another unexplained plothole spoiler[that Madoka's baby brother still remembered her, despite the fact that Homura was supposed to be the only one who did.] I don't know if this was the writer's attempt to give us some emotional fan service or something. To be honest, yes it worked on me and I felt something, but I also felt like it was kind of a cheap trick.

I respectfully disagree. The thing is, the creators already said Madoka's brother spoiler[ will forget all about Madoka upon growing up, much like the way it's thought that kids with imaginary friends will lose their memory of such things when they grow up]. Plus, the bonds of the family probably has something to do with it, all things considered. If it was just some totally random child who remembers Madoka, that would not make any sense as I see it.

spoiler[Although they might have said he would forget about her after growing up, it still doesn't explain why he remembers her now. Her actions were supposed to have erased her from the universe. Even her mother doesn't know about her, and her mother would have a much stronger connection given she came out of her body.] Like I said, it was a very touching moment but it seemed like that was thrown in there just to affect us emotionally rather than for any particular purpose flowing from the story.

Shippoyasha wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Having thought some more about dandelion_rose's idea about the ending, I feel that has merit but it still doesn't make this an A+ show for me. For me, an A+ show grabs you up, puts you through an emotional and/or action packed roller coaster, then doesn't let you go until long after the ending. Cowboy Beebop was an A+ show for me. Death Note was an A+ show. Even though I didn't love FLCL, the ending of it was good enough that it could have been A+ if the rest of the show had been more coherent. Madoka grabbed me up and put me through an emotional roller coaster, and then right before the roller coaster got to the big finish I was told to get off. If Madoka really does serve to revitalize the magical girl genre in some way, maybe it's rating will improve with me if it has a lasting (and positive) impact on future shows. But right now, standing on its own, I just can't say I agree that it's A+ material because at the end all of the creative risks and subversions which were building to a peak were pulled back for the sake of the comfort of the audience.

I personally disagree a bit considering both Death Note and Cowboy Bebop didn't really leave much to the imagination. Stuff like Madoka where they leave a lot to the imagination plus the possibility of many realities and universes and types of mages/incubators/witches etc, it leaves a lot to future speculation. All of which is very valid. That said, I do think those shows you mentioned are classics, but I think Madoka is one for differing reasons. In that the show revels more in mysteries and emotions and the intangibles more so than something that spells it all out like Death Note does for example.

That said, I think the reason why Madoka serves as a positive for all magical girl shows is that if you think about it, Madoka's ending is reminiscent of spoiler[ all those magical queens/princesses with unlimited power and are basically goddesses in the magical girl shows' universes. It is in effect, an origin story for one of those magical girl princesses of the universe. These kinds of origin speculation happens in all magical girl shows. But Madoka finally puts it on the forefront. And it enriches the entire genre for it in terms of speculation. Now there's no telling just how saddening and torturous it must have been for some magical girl queens/princesses to have that kind of ultimate power]

I think you make a good point about the origin story concept, which I think is interesting but I don't think that's how they indicated things were going with the ending because spoiler[she removed herself from existence]. If she had turned herself into some kind of ruling queen or existing god, then I would probably be in agreement with that position but I get the impression that going forward (assuming the movie sequel) the story won't really be about Madoka.

As far as them leaving things open to speculation, I do generally like when writers do that, and they did do a decent amount of that with Madoka, but my real hesitation to calling it an A+ classic has more to do with the conventional nature of the ending and the fact that the subversion was pulled back, rather than a question of whether or not they left things open to speculation.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Homura so loved Madoka

Can we have a single anime where two female characters can be friends without everyone thinking they want to secretly screw?

There are tons of anime where female characters are friends and have no sexual desire toward one another. Love and sex are not the same, and yuri is more likely to deal with emotional love than sexual.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Homura so loved Madoka

Can we have a single anime where two female characters can be friends without everyone thinking they want to secretly screw?

There are tons of anime where female characters are friends and have no sexual desire toward one another. Love and sex are not the same, and yuri is more likely to deal with emotional love than sexual.

Personally, I feel like same-sex emotional love is NOT yuri / yaoi ... and probably shouldn't be classified as such. I mean, as important as emotional love is, if you don't want to at least kiss the other person, it's not romantic.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I know it's late, but I want to respond to this:

Quote:
Perhaps it is time to put shounen battle shows under the microscope?

Oh god yes, I would LOVE this to happen. I love shōnen battle shows and all of their cliches, but seeing the genre get the Urobuchi treatment would be really amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 31