• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extra Seconds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LupinTheFourth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I mean, I like a game if it's entertaining, enjoyable, and above all fun. Why limit yourself to one genre or game type, or even console?

And if you wanna get a gaming PC, if you want specific parts, try I Buy Power. Good custom site. If you just want a good gaming PC, I'm sure there's some good stuff out there.

And it's ridiculous how these loyalty lines get drawn.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I hope that Project X Zone comes out here.

As much as I want the same, I don't see that happening.

As for why everyone simply has to put their preferred games on a pedestal and diss the games they don't like, that's how it goes in fandoms. Here's an outline I see that, while generalized, happens a lot on YouTube and GameFAQs:

Party A loves JRPGs, but hates shooters, claiming they're nothing but repetitive Western garbage that focus on mindless violence and blood to sell copies. They also claim shooters are the reason JRPGs don't get localized as much anymore.

Party B loves shooters, but hates JRPGs, claiming they're fruity anime crap that focus on kiddy art styles and underage girls to sell copies. They also claim JRPGs are the reason so many North American males are turning "unmanly" (I couldn't even look at this comment without laughing).

The dividing line is very easy to see and no doubt you've probably witnessed far worse examples. Hell, the JRPG and shooter communities are their own battlefields, with people arguing that Final Fantasy, to name one example, is the reason no one pays attention to other series like Tales or Atelier. It's just one big breeding ground of "I like this and I hate that".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
LupinTheFourth wrote:
Yeah. I mean, I like a game if it's entertaining, enjoyable, and above all fun. Why limit yourself to one genre or game type, or even console?

Well you see, I don't like a lot of genres... I've grown up on mainly just JRPGs, and like 7 of my top 10 games of all time are JRPGs (and 2 VNs and 1 Fighter). So why would I like something in a genre I don't play? Its like music; I don't like rap, so it doesn't matter how good some rap album is. I won't like it. So thats why I will only play what I like.

Here are my top 10 Games:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Shining Force 2
3. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Phantasy Star IV
6. Fate/Stay Night
7. Disgaea
8. Persona 4
9. Skies of Arcadia
10. Sengoku Rance

This doesn't really look like someone who'd go play a bunch of super violent Western FPS, now does it?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Fine, but my original point was that I cannot understand why some people act as if you cannot like certain combinations of genres.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fine, but my original point was that I cannot understand why some people act as if you cannot like certain combinations of genres.

Well, its possible, but you need to look at the different types of gamers. They often start gaming in different ways that evolve their tastes. For myself, I started gaming in the NES days and have always played Japanese games and avoided PC gaming, so I've never played FPS to any significant extent or anything. Only one I've fully beaten was Half Life 2, and I just had to force myself to play through it due to its acclaim. At this point, I've gotten too ingrained in gaming to enjoy a whole new genre like that.

For others, they started gaming through PC, or not until the Xbox era, so they grew up playing these Western games so its more natural for them. Plus theres also the people who play games only to play with their friends as a social thing, and aren't really "hardcore" gamers, and these people typically go towards the cool games like shooters.

Its tough to find someone who can fit both of these types of gamers, since they are very different types of people. I'm not sure if I've ever met a gamer who started gaming in the NES days yet plays all the FPS these days.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its tough to find someone who can fit both of these types of gamers, since they are very different types of people. I'm not sure if I've ever met a gamer who started gaming in the NES days yet plays all the FPS these days.

A few friends do, but they play almost anything anywhere. True gamers. Their Xbox and PS3 gamer points are up the wazoo! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6