• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo's Iwata Discusses Anime's 'Road to Survival'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
As for translations, I have to wonder why the credits are almost never translated. I don't expect every name to be translated, but at least the main staff and cast. Much more important to me than karaoke lyrics, which can easily be done as separate clips.

Yeah... Mostly because it's a lot of work to do and not very fun at all.

But there are plenty of people who don't want them subbed for a variety of reasons. (Fansubbers). See this thread on another forum for details:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26887&page=9

-Tofu
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
@Unit 03.5-ish
Did I understand you correct, that you think replacing cultural references in Anime with references to western cultures just to make them easier to understand is a good thing? Really, I think that's terrible! Sure, explainations are necessary regarding such scenes for most viewers, but changing gags and story can't be a good thing.

Its no different than when a video game company does it with Japanese video games. Atlus is brought to mind when they did Disgaea. Managed to be funny and all while localizing the game. Disgaea anime did the same thing, I'm sure. I have no problems if companies does that, as I rather have an equivalent if it means reaching more of an audience and still retain that same feeling if I was a native speaker. This is why I like localization, as I can get meanings from websites and the likes.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
As for translations, I have to wonder why the credits are almost never translated. I don't expect every name to be translated, but at least the main staff and cast. Much more important to me than karaoke lyrics, which can easily be done as separate clips.

But there are plenty of people who don't want them subbed for a variety of reasons. (Fansubbers). See this thread on another forum for details:

http://forums.[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website]/showthread.php?t=26887&page=9

-Tofu

(stupid ANN filter) A lot of that banter is just silly. Only reasonable rationale I see is the issue of kanji transliteration of names. Anyways, the Nijuu Mensou credit TL looks great. On the bright side, for shows with outsourced animation, like half of your job is done already Very Happy

But then again, the shows on CR do not have translated credits either. Industry schneizeleffort, lol.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

http://forums.[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website]/showthread.php?t=26887&page=9

-Tofu

(stupid ANN filter) A lot of that banter is just silly. Only reasonable rationale I see is the issue of kanji transliteration of names. Anyways, the Nijuu Mensou credit TL looks great. On the bright side, for shows with outsourced animation, like half of your job is done already Very Happy

But then again, the shows on CR do not have translated credits either. Industry schneizeleffort, lol.

It's actually even harder for pros to translate credits than it is for fansubbers, because EVERY SINGLE CREDIT has to be checked and approved by the production team in Japan, and that takes ages.

For CR to translate the shows by an hour after broadcast it is literally impossible to translate the credits for the show (beyond, perhaps, the main director and stars that don't change every episode) in a way that the licensors approve.
krelyan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
So when Iwata refers to "selling Japanese animation only to the Japanese marketplace" is he referring to the current market trend? Which isn't so much selling to the "Japanese marketplace" as it is pandering to hardcore otaku fans of particular sub-niches. So while the global marketplace may have stagnated in his view, I'm not sure how much potential for growth there is with this alternate method either. It seems more like a bandage than an actual solution.

Also, a few seem to be harboring the idea that the Japanese cutting out the "middle-men" and selling (DVDs/physical media) to the global market is a good thing. It's not just anime that's incredibly overpriced over in Japan; it's all physical media. I don't see the Japanese anime industry/distributors having enough clout to completely revamp the entire physical media distribution model, even as antiquated as it may be, to be on par with R1 pricing schemes.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
Which isn't so much selling to the "Japanese marketplace" as it is pandering to hardcore otaku fans of particular sub-niches.
Sons of Anarchy - a drama about a south-western biker tribe striving for its own blend of freedom - tough guys, hookers, booze, guns, violence. Judging by the description alone, it's such a wonderful piece of pandering to your typical disillusioned American patriot that you could easily mistake it for a piece of trash, when in fact it's one of the best TV drama (FX-commissioned production) to hit the air waves in a while. I was born and raised a long way from the U.S. though (I'm also not an Amerifag).

You're just setting up unnecessary limitations to your anime enjoyment with such distasteful prejudices.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It's actually even harder for pros to translate credits than it is for fansubbers, because EVERY SINGLE CREDIT has to be checked and approved by the production team in Japan, and that takes ages.

I honestly don't think so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I honestly don't think so.

Oh, let me be a bit clearer: They need to be APPROVED by Japan.

Whether or not anyone in Japan ever actually checks them, who knows. The issue is the time delay, that's all.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
hold on, do you mean to say that the TL actually occurs at broadcast time? Shocked Or how much lead time do you get? seems like.. speedsubbing (a good job nonetheless). No approval required for that then?
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
"as it stands, we may have to go back to the way it was in the past — back to selling Japanese animation only to the Japanese marketplace"

I think it is good that the Japanese anime companies produces anime for the Japanese people. I don't think Iwata should rule out fansub and anime fans outside of Japan especially with the internet. The main attraction of Japanese anime is they are about the Japanese culture in the different genre. Gin Tama is a good example because of the many culture references made. Many anime fans are fixated with anime because of the language and culture beside anime with great content and quality.

As many have said on this thread and on other forum, the American and Japanese anime companies need to translate better along with the availability of karaoke and footnotes. With that said, how hard is it for the Japanese anime companies to produced anime on CR with those criteria? I feel that is a simple request yet the Japanese anime companies seem to choose not understand that, or they have a different audience in mind. They got the part of simuclast right but what about the translation?

The majority of anime fans want good content and quality subs anime which would equal a sell. Fansub isn't going to go away because some people don't believe in paying for anime for whatever reason even if it has merits or not.

Last edited by sdhd on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I'm reading the corresponding thread reacting to this article on 2ch... http://anchorage.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/bizplus/1233244965/-100
Interesting to see the Japanese reaction, but more amusing I found was this comment (made as a joke, I sure hope):

Quote:

海外対策には、全作品にキリストとかコーランを侮辱するアイキャッチいれれば大丈夫!

"As a countermeasure against gaijin, just put an insult to Christ or the Koran in the eyecatches and you'll be okay!"

Brilliant idea, 2ch.

Actually, I did stop watching Kemeko DX after one episode purely because of the OP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Actually, I did stop watching Kemeko DX after one episode purely because of the OP.

Ha! I was going to mention that earlier, because it fit the comment exactly--I would venture it prompted it, in fact. I don't care, and I watched the whole series because it was good and one of the few wacky comedies last year. But if you notice in the OP, they didn't just spear the Christians (or whip, more literally), but several groups. BTW, there were no references whatsoever to any of the OP jokes in the series itself. Since Monty Python, nothing offends me anyway regardless of ideological persuasion.

Keisuke Iwata's "as it stands, we may have to go back to the way it was in the past — back to selling Japanese animation only to the Japanese marketplace" is already here: Japanese Anime Firms Reveal Plans for Coming Year. Enjoy your moe...Wink
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
As many have said on this thread and on other forum, the American and Japanese anime companies need to translate better along with the availability of karaoke and footnotes. With that said, how hard is it for the Japanese anime companies to produced anime on CR with those criteria?
Impossible to add footnotes because of technical issues? Impossible to add karaoke because it is pointless, stupid, technically impossible and technically a bad idea?

Quote:
I feel that is a simple request yet the Japanese anime companies seem to choose not understand that, or they have a different audience in mind. They got the part of simuclast right but what about the translation?
It's a downright unreasonable request. What about the translation? There is nothing wrong with the translations on CR for >99.9% of the content. I have heard there are a handful of episodes that have had issues from others but I haven't encountered them.

pparker wrote:

Keisuke Iwata's "as it stands, we may have to go back to the way it was in the past — back to selling Japanese animation only to the Japanese marketplace" is already here: Japanese Anime Firms Reveal Plans for Coming Year. Enjoy your moe...Wink
Megami is a magazine that focuses on moe and bishoujo. Their interview will focus on, if not be exclusive to, moe content. There are other things beside moe that Japan likes.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Uh.. right. So I got a lot of reports and complaints and stuff, so I'm gonna' lock this thread now...

Go watch Taken, Liam Neeson kicks ass in that movie.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7