• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What happened to Masaki Watanabe?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbanu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
After the release of his directorial debut, Bartender, in 2006, he sort of faded into obscurity.... Although I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that Bartender was not as successful as had been hoped, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten any more directorial work. The use of theater tropes in Bartender was really interesting, and the entire story had a subdued style that showed a lot of potential, especially given how sparse the actual animation was. What happened? I haven't heard anything from Palm Studio in a while, so I can only imagine they've gone out of business?

Is there anyone out there with a knowledge of the Japanese scene that might be able to shed light on what happened?
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Watanabe Masaki is a series director and also does storyboard and/or episode direction in the Battle Spirits Heroes anime.

mbanu wrote:
...sort of faded into obscurity.... ...hasn't gotten any more directorial work.

On a side note, even if an anime filmmaker worked as the series director of an anime, it doesn't necessarily mean that he usually also works as the series director of other anime.

As to Palm Company Ltd., on 2ch, people who were probably animators talked about overdue wages from Palm.
So, the company might have become defunct.

mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the information! Glad to hear that he's still working in anime.

Too bad about Palm... they never seemed to be involved in much, but when they produced a show it was always interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1