• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Some Tokyopop Manga Volumes Out of Stock

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't put too much in Diamond. Diamond isn't the indicator on how a distributor is treating their future releases. Diamond is basically a large wholesale retailer who sells to comic shops. Not to mention the fact that Diamond probably canceled those solicitations themselves when they didn't meet their new minimum order standards.
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
TRSI just posted on their website information about the status of ARIA GN 4. It also says that ARIA GN Vol. #5 is still scheduled for release on March 10 so if this is true, it looks like that it's more of the case of Diamond Comics not ordering the volume instead of TP cancelling it outright.
silverwings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well Amazon has VB Rose 6 listed as an April release, so that's a relief.
Ligene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
That's a relief. I was worried about V. B. Rose and ARIA for a moment, especially since along with Gakuen Alice are the only Tokyopop titles I actually collect.

My local Barnes & Noble had several copies of ARIA 4, so I'm gonna hurry and snatch it up just in case.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
TRSI just posted on their website information about the status of ARIA GN 4. It also says that ARIA GN Vol. #5 is still scheduled for release on March 10 so if this is true, it looks like that it's more of the case of Diamond Comics not ordering the volume instead of TP cancelling it outright.

I don't think that Right Stuf post is up-to-date. It lists a December 31 posting date.
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
bci110 wrote:

I don't think that Right Stuf post is up-to-date. It lists a December 31 posting date.

Yes, you're right. But they still are taking pre-orders for ARIA GN 5 on their site so maybe they're still looking into the matter as we speak.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Sad enough to say, I only have 6 Tokyopop titles out of... the maybe 30 I have. Most are Viz, and DelRay is making a push in, too (yay Kitchen Princess and Shugo Chara).

I collected CardCaptor Sakura and Chobits... bought the first volume of Hibiki to find out it was canceled. In the middle of collecting DearS. Just started with Fate/Stay Night and I've been collecting Fruits Basket since volume 1, but that's almost over. Well, I guess I have some of the Sailor Moon manga, that was them, right?

Suffice to say other than Fate/Stay Night I haven't seen a Tokyopop title that interested me in a while. Viz's Shoujo Beat has been getting all the titles I want.

I wish the best for them, though, but without Fruits Basket... where does that leave them is what I keep wondering.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
tsukikage wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
My daughter is refusing to start any titles until they complete publication.

I can see where she's coming from, but honestly I think that sort of approach will just lead to more titles being dropped.
Well, at this point what are you supposed to do? Randomly gamble X amount of £7 a go and hope it get's released?

No, that my good sir, is invatation to Wallet Rape.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
Sad enough to say, I only have 6 Tokyopop titles out of... the maybe 30 I have. Most are Viz, and DelRay is making a push in, too (yay Kitchen Princess and Shugo Chara).

I collected CardCaptor Sakura and Chobits... bought the first volume of Hibiki to find out it was canceled. In the middle of collecting DearS. Just started with Fate/Stay Night and I've been collecting Fruits Basket since volume 1, but that's almost over. Well, I guess I have some of the Sailor Moon manga, that was them, right?

Suffice to say other than Fate/Stay Night I haven't seen a Tokyopop title that interested me in a while. Viz's Shoujo Beat has been getting all the titles I want.

I wish the best for them, though, but without Fruits Basket... where does that leave them is what I keep wondering.

If I gotten into Chibi Vampire earlier, I would have started collecting the series. I've only bought Love Hina and A.L. Love you from Tokyo Pop in the last couple of years I've been a manga reader.

I really have enjoyed every chapter of Chibi Vampire, but not just because the fantastic artwork. The manga has much more depth and maturity the anime didn't have. I bought the boxset and collected every all six volumes, so there is a large diffrence between the manga and anime.

Again though, I do not think Tokyo Pop will close anytime soon though. But people need to continue to purchase and support the company in these tough times.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
tsukikage wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
My daughter is refusing to start any titles until they complete publication.

I can see where she's coming from, but honestly I think that sort of approach will just lead to more titles being dropped.

Truth. I too know what people are thinking, but I can't grasp how they think it's a good idea in the first place. If no one buys the damn things to begin with, of course they won't get printed.

This is even worse when it comes to manga, of all things! At least DVDs can be expected to come out in two-packs or boxsets, but who the heck waits for an entire series of manga to come out?! Not only does it take forever, but it doesn't benefit the company at all. You're just killing them faster. -_-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad others are pointing out the necessity of continuing to buy manga in order to keep my favourite series from getting cancelled. It may be a little stupid or naïve of me, but when I hear this sort of news my first thought is "Oh no! I better go and buy some more Tokyopop manga!" in the (blindly optimistic?) hope that my small effort as a consumer will relieve a bit of economic pressure for the company publishing my second-favourite currently-running series (that is, VB Rose).

I actually just recently picked up a couple of their previously "hiatus-ed" titles (Zig*Zag and Nosatsu Junkie). It's sad to think I may not ever get to read another volume, but I think I would be sadder if I never had the chance to read any of them at all. (then again, I've got that blind optimism keeping me hopeful that the titles will make a comeback one of these days)
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
It may be a little stupid or naïve of me, but when I hear this sort of news my first thought is "Oh no! I better go and buy some more Tokyopop manga!" in the (blindly optimistic?) hope that my small effort as a consumer will relieve a bit of economic pressure for the company...

I know what you mean. I've been buying a lot more anime lately, and just picked up both Baccano and Claymore while my friend is stocking up on Gurren Lagann for the both of us. Every little bit helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh Tactics, Tactics, Tactics. First the whole ADV manga fiasco and now Tokyopop limbo. Heaven knows there are worse things going on in the universe, but this series definitely has had some bad luck in the states. I remember when I pre-ordered the last volume of the anime series and had to wait over a year for it to be released. When it finally came out Manga Entertainment also released the entire series, for the same price as just one of the DVDs, at the same time!!! Did I feel abused.

With this and the Bandai news, it feels like the whole Geneon/ADV thing all over again...I shouldn't be surprised with the economy the way it is, but dang it!!! I am bummed!!!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lys wrote:
It may be a little stupid or naïve of me, but when I hear this sort of news my first thought is "Oh no! I better go and buy some more Tokyopop manga!" in the (blindly optimistic?) hope that my small effort as a consumer will relieve a bit of economic pressure for the company...

I know what you mean. I've been buying a lot more anime lately, and just picked up both Baccano and Claymore while my friend is stocking up on Gurren Lagann for the both of us. Every little bit helps!

Me too. I've been cutting corners like crazy, like turning the thermostat down to 50 (hooray for long underware), unplugging anything that's not being used, and not eating out, just to keep up my anime and manga budget. Heck, I even gave up my beloved Vodka tonics. Hopefully my support will make some sort of a difference...

Save the Anime and Manga!
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You are correct that we’ve postponed—not cancelled—these series, although the .Hack Manga-Novel Special Edition (a manga & novel combo book of two previously pubbed volume 1’s, at a value price) is something we may not publish, because of some licensing issues.

In general, we have spaced out the release frequency of some slower-selling titles, and as a result, we have fewer releases each month. I believe our release-plan refinement was reported in December.

The word "postponed" is far better than the word "cancelled" - that shows that pretty much likely that most of these solicitations will be re-scheduled at a later time. Though I'm still concerned about ARIA GN 5 since when asked about it Marco shyed away from giving the specifics. Which tells me that there's a 50/50 chance that we might not see the rest of ARIA any time soon, if at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3