• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Lower House Approves Bill to Penalize Downloaders, Outlaw Ripping

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Outlawing ripping seems wonky, but I guess it's not that bad since you'd only get caught if you were ripping then sharing it online.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad Idiotic

Japanese MADs / AMVs (which has benifited Kadokawa) will also decline or disappear if this gets approved
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
well sh** there goes all ova's I want to watch this summer, yay out-law ripping will defiantly help. Now I would like to see this type of law pass in america "ripping dvd's" even for personal use because one of my external hard-drives is full of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, why cant corporations see that the problem wont be resolved by punishing customers and pushing for draconian laws, yep, many of those that download are customers, MANY!

The core of the issue as some are slowly realizing is that in this age you cannot have region restrictions or delay when and how you deliver you "goods" and want things to work the same as they did 20 years go when there was no internet.

Yes, the issue is complex, super high prices in Japan that cannot work f outside its core market, reverse importing, deals with tv stations, etc.

With how things are developing in the internet it wont be long when instead of looking forward to the next anime season, or a movie, or x US/XX COUNTRY TV series we instead decide its better and safer to go to the streets and play some sport with friends like our fathers did, to instead spent time with the family playing monopoly the old fashion way, to hang out with friends in the real world...

Entertainment is becoming a dangerous hobby and a hassle instead of making us have a good relaxing and fun time as it should.

They need to understand we like their content but WE CANNOT pay for EVERY content even if we wanted, that we do not earn enough to pay high prices, that TV is becoming obsolete and that they cannot hope that we will wait years for a series that may or may not come to our country (yes, the US and select countries has crunchy, yet they dont have all series and its region locked), that with the internet regions dont matter, it grants us instant access to all kind of information.

ITS COMPLEX, but they need to figure out how to make it work instead of seeing the new age as the enemy, punishing us with laws, taking from us our privacy and liberty.

Yes, some will not pay regardless of any situation, in the real work TV is there for them, but what for the online world, TV is not working anymore as its restricts you to a tv schedule, some may have work or other activities.

Exploit the internet, some of us would not mind ads if we had access when we want how we want it online (but make it available to ALL, dont discriminate or region block). Thats the reason MANY have to download, because that's the only way they can have access to a show.

Make the internet the priority instead or TV stations, maybe not immediately but work towards that end, giving priority to TV deals is one of the reasons the internet is punished this much, tv stations should have less exclusive deals to "broadcast first" a series .
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
This bill is only for citizens of Japan. It has nothing to do with anyone outside of Japan. So I find the past few posts rather perplexing since they have absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This bill is only for citizens of Japan. It has nothing to do with anyone outside of Japan. So I find the past few posts rather perplexing since they have absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand.

NO, they are valid comments because this kind stupidity is happening in many countries which are pushing for harsher laws for the internet and users.

All or 99.9% of entertainment companies see the internet as an evil to destroy and users to punish with Draconian laws.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I didn't plan on watching many new anime series this summer, most I am watching are ova/oad's that never get licensed for continuing series/franchises. Completely out-lawing the ripping means no raw-nothing to fan-subs for them. Fine if that's the laws japan wants then more power to them, that is what i am referring to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
In the U.S., DVD ripping is already illegal, it's just a law no one can really enforce.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
In the U.S., DVD ripping is already illegal, it's just a law no one can really enforce.

aye i can see this spinning out of control then why legally sell software like dvd fab, dameon tools, alcohol 120% when it's already illegal??
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

The issue I mentioned with MADs / AMVs / parody videos is pertinent to Japan. However, just because a bill doesn't concern you personally doesn't mean you don't need to be concerned about those who are adversely affected.

mglittlerobin wrote:

The act of ripping--essentially tinkering or breaking apart your own property--is not illegal. It is only distributing the binaries of software to crack copy protection that is illegal. The source code is actually still legal.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't bring myself to particularly care about the plight of illegal downloaders, but the possibility of imprisonment for it seems obscene. Frankly, I'm not sure if it's reasonable that this be a criminal matter at all. Putting somebody in prison for illicitly acquiring or distributing episode three of Saliva Princess or whatever seems to do more harm to person imprisoned than that person did to the company. I don't know if the fine is reasonable or not, but it should be about the only penalty available.

Outlawing 'ripping' does not seem very enforceable and I hardly see it as justified when dealing with purely personal use. Perhaps media companies are pressing for it so people will have to buy a separate digital copy or perhaps they're just wigged out by change at flailing at whatever they can hit.

ANN wrote:
The bill has to also pass the House of Councillors in order to be made into law.

I'd like to clarify this for for the sake of American readers: The bill will become law if either a majority of the House of Councillors passes it or if the House of Councillors rejects it, but the House of Representatives then passes it again with a 2/3 super-majority.

It also technically must then promulgated by the Emperor, but that's about as purely ceremonial a step as can be imagined.

That's a little pedantic, but it's the kind of pedantry I'm good at and an American might understandably, but wrongly assume that the houses of the Diet were roughly equal in power as those of the United States Congress are. (British readers will be surprised that an upper house can do anything but snarl and stomp its feet for a few months; Canadian readers will have to be reminded that they even have an upper house, but then be further reminded that it hardly matters.)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

As far as I know, most of the raws fansubs use are done by the Japanese in the first place.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

How do you think subbers get the footage to sub anime Movies they wait till it goes on DVD rental or sale and then copy and send it to the rest of the fansub group.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Just because it's banned doesn't mean it's going to stop.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

How do you think subbers get the footage to sub anime Movies they wait till it goes on DVD rental or sale and then copy and send it to the rest of the fansub group.

So? The bill has nothing to do with people outside Japan. There's no need for dan999 to get up on a soap box about region-coding/blocking and then go into a spiel about how the internet should be focused on rather than TV. It's not at all pertinent to the matter at hand.

I personally view the 'penalize downloaders' section of this bill as far more dangerous. I have no idea why the ripping section is what most are talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4