• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
help me understaind this [avatar question]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia-Of-The-Moon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:31 am Reply with quote
HELP every time I try to download my avatair I get this statment fiels must be .jpg , .gif ,andor .png . Can eneyone explain it to me Crying or Very sad

[edit: subject adjusted to reflect content. -L]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
If you're using AOL or CompuServe with their default browsers, the images you download will all be ART-type files. If this is the case, try downloading your avatars with Netscape or Internet Explorer; they won't convert the file to an ART file.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Mia-Of-The-Moon wrote:
HELP every time I try to download my avatair I get this statment fiels must be .jpg , .gif ,andor .png . Can eneyone explain it to me Crying or Very sad

Mia-Of-The-Moon, there are two things you should keep in mind:

1. This thread is off-topic. Discussion on uploading avatars should be in the Bugs & Technical Questions section.

2. Perhaps you should take the time to read Hooked on Phonics and a dictionary to improve your spelling and grammar. That way, everybody can understand your posts.

And here's a corrected version of the post above:

Mia-Of-The-Moon wrote:
HELP! Whenever I try to upload my avatar, I get this statement:

"Field must be .jpg , .gif , and or .png."

Can anyone explain this to me? Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hi Mia,

There are numerous image formats that exist and can be displayed by your browser.

These include, but are not limited to .art .tiff .jpeg (.jpg) .gif .png .bmp .... One way of telling what format an image is, is to look at the name. If the name is "image.png" that means that the image is a .png file. UNfortunately windows, by default, hides the filename's extension, so all you'll see as the name is "image."

The forum software that we use, phpbb2, requires that avatars be either .png .gif or .jpg / .jpeg files.

You might find this thread helpful with setting up your avatar.

Also, while he may have been a little nasty in his way of stating it (and himself breaking one of our rules doing it) Area Seven is correct, please be careful to use proper English in this forum, it is a requirement unless English is not your first language (in which case you are still expected to try).

Regards,

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1