• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Headed to Ikkicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtnishi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The whole questioning of the motives of the girl or the guy or whatever seems pointless at this point. If they're going that way, they're going that way. If they were paying attention to the news at all, they wouldn't, obviously.

I think it's presumed that IkkiCon officials have been notified, though oddly I haven't seen mention of it on the ACML yet, but I think it might be good for EVERYONE to keep an eye out in general. It's too bad there isn't any vehicle description, or else I'm sure there'd be Amber Alerts strung up from California to Maine (or wherever they're valid).
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd go to Ikkicon just to watch the drama unfold.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I think the point of this article is to get people on the alert, not to stir up hatred. Who cares about the short term "Oh anime is evil", "Anime is for sickos". This is a serious thing, if you go to that con be vigilant... even if it's a ruse... it's a good idea.

Sigh... no one's going to listen to what I say... I'm just someone who blends into the background on this site... Hate is going to to spread no matter what I say...
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Um, the article said that they were planning to hit different anime conventions en route to California, the first being Ikkicon. Well, where I live, there is an anime convention coming up feb 13-15. Is it possible that they could drive up to this state? (Hint, the state I live in is next to Oklahoma) And if that should happen, could I still call my 911? Even thought these people are missing from Oklahoma?
I wanna help. This sounds pretty sick, 14 year old girl going with a 40 year old man. She really could be in danger.
Quote:
Sigh... no one's going to listen to what I say... I'm just someone who blends into the background on this site... Hate is going to to spread no matter what I say...

I'm listening to you. I think we should be vigilant, which is why I'd like to know if I should keep a look out at my local convention, and if I should see them, I wanna know do I call 911? Is my state/city aware of this that I can call that number, or do I need to call a special number?
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Authorities advice anyone who

I'm sorry but grammar and misspellings always bother me. "Advice" should be "advise."

Sure hope the girl isn't permanently scarred before the police can find them.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. I hope nothing happens to her, why would she dye her hair black? To not be found? And she has such pretty hair.

Arrrgh. I really hope nothing happens... why not just run away from home and take a bus, why go with a creepy 40 year old?? I'm just wondering what she was thinking. And a close family friend too? Sad
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well I have to work, so I won't be attending Ikkicon. But if I was, and I spotted anybody that looked like them, I would so tackle them! There are billboards with a $50,000 reward offered for info, if you are on the security team at Ikkicon...I feel sorry for you.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Um, the article said that they were planning to hit different anime conventions en route to California, the first being Ikkicon. Well, where I live, there is an anime convention coming up feb 13-15. Is it possible that they could drive up to this state? (Hint, the state I live in is next to Oklahoma) And if that should happen, could I still call my 911? Even thought these people are missing from Oklahoma?
I wanna help. This sounds pretty sick, 14 year old girl going with a 40 year old man. She really could be in danger.
Quote:

I'm listening to you. I think we should be vigilant, which is why I'd like to know if I should keep a look out at my local convention, and if I should see them, I wanna know do I call 911? Is my state/city aware of this that I can call that number, or do I need to call a special number?

Yes, if you see them then you call 9-11 right away to get police on their trail. The offical police line is more for relaying potential tips and/or sightings, but yeah if you see them just call the cops.

I wouldn't be surprised if she knew this man. Most abductions are by someone the victim knows, and it's highly unlikely she knows about his rap sheet. If she does than she's the naive type. Who knows where she could have meet him, next door, on the internet, at another convention. I really hope she'll be found safely.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if she knew this man.

He was a family friend, with extra emphasis on "was".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all of those who want to look out for her at Ikkicon, I suggest saving this and printing it out:

Just remember, she isn't quite the innocent little angel we saw in the press release. She also left of her own free will, and might not want to go back. On the off-chance you see (and recognise) her, just ring the number and let the authorities handle it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Ikkicon needs a few more security volunteers just in case. This guy does look like bad news. Confused
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
First, I'm glad ANN is covering this. It's topical because there's a good chance someone will see these two if they actually stick to their scheduled "tour."

Second, I think the fact this girl is running off to supposedly do a tour of Anime cons has nothing to do with Anime or Anime fandom. Some in the general public might think that but they'd think that no matter what sort of "fill in the blank" situation was involved. IMO, if this had happened 15 years ago it was have been a Star Trek convention. This really has more to do with teenage rebellion and the ability for people to get information out better now than 15 years ago verse anything negative towards Anime. The good thing is that these days there is more coverage and there's a good chance they'll find this girl before something extremely bad happens.

A bit OT but
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Um, the article said that they were planning to hit different anime conventions en route to California, the first being Ikkicon. Well, where I live, there is an anime convention coming up feb 13-15. Is it possible that they could drive up to this state? (Hint, the state I live in is next to Oklahoma)

Well if the state isn't Kansas then you're geographically challenged (since you mentioned "up")Razz Going by the online con listings I take it this con probability is really in Missouri (which is caddy cornered & up from OK - BTW, I had to look up the site to figure out where it was in MO though). It would be a good idea if someone did inform them of the situation because I think you have hit on a good point. Just because these two said they were going West doesn't mean they really are.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
wouldn't it have been better for the police to handle this internally? now that she knows everyone is on the lookout for her, she might be in cosplay or something.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I highly doubt they'll go to ikkicon.

Seriously.

I just hope that she makes it back safely, rather than in a body bag. I'm not doing this to joke either, with authorities being tipped off about the situation, most likely...yeah, I don't think they'll be headed there at all.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well i will still be on the look out, i have some friends that are workibg the con so i will let them know
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm... how to put this sensitively? I can't come up with anything that sounds approriate, and I've got to say it, so I'll just try as best I can.

The people worried this will bring some kind of a moral crusade against anime are jumping at shadows. This is a "top story of the night", emphasis on "of the night". People in her hometown or nearby will remember it by Monday. For everyone else, it's just another missing white woman, with the common "child predator" twist. If news is slow in the mainstream media, we might get updates for awhile, but the public loses interest quickly and they'll have to bring something newer and more interesting. Eventually, the girl will be found- dead or alive-, the guy will be caught, the trial will start, the verdict will be in, and the sentence will be passed, in that order. Each instance will generate a "Huh, so that's what happened" from the public, and then they'll forget it by the next morning. There will be no sensationalist moral panic, no grand culture war, no great struggle between hysteria and free speech. It will pass by and ultimately become a footnote- if even that- in the news summary of 2009.

Here's the real problem, if there HAS to be one- so we've got a 14 year-old whose life and security are in danger. Why, then, are half the posters on the first page of this thread more concerned about someone taking away their anime?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9