• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Arrested for Selling Pirated One Piece Figures of Nami

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder if him being Chinese played a part in it. I'm serious, by the way, Japanese racism exists.

Since the three prior arrests in the article were all Japanese citizens I'm going to have to say that's quite unlikely.

I guess it'll come down to sentencing, but we'll probably never see those stories.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder if him being Chinese played a part in it. I'm serious, by the way, Japanese racism exists.

True story. By the way, I later learned that my friend had not the Overseas (GBN) but the British Citizens passport (GBR). When I asked him how he acquired it, he only replied "God save the Queen!" with a smile. Wink

Last edited by dormcat on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
It has absolutely nothing to do with revenue

it is the same reason nintendo sues children over pokemon and disney files lawsuits against grandmothers
it is all about protecting their property rights
What. Of course it's about revenue! He was competing with the official merch, so they had him busted(it's not like they'd have to pay for it); if things really worked the way you think they do, the doujin market wouldn't be tolerated like it is. And "intellectual property" refers to three different areas of law, none of which have any connection to property law.

Toei does not make anime figures though
Toei sells the "rights" and licenses for someone else to make the figures

Toei did not lose a single cent due to counterfeiting
they just want to "protect" nami and protect companies that will pay money for the rights to license said figures such as megahouse

the figures were also not exact replicas, these were "modified"
does that really cut into a companies profits?
big companies want you to believe so, but most of the time people who buy knock off anime do so because it's cheaper or 'something' that cannot be obtained through legitimate means

- what that means is that they would not have bought the official merchandise anyway, or already own it
so were profits actually lost?
that's like saying people who pirate video software are stealing money - well not really, since they were too cheap to buy the game in the first place
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Yes, the figures were customized, but if they weren't using Chinese knockoffs, they'd be made from official merch. At any rate, pressing the Japanese state to put somebody in jail over it doesn't really cost Toei anything, so they can indulge in the practice as much as they please. In contrast, companies in the US have a much more muted response since they have to bear most of the cost.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
Should of saw this coming. There's still tons of bootlegs being sold on known websites such as ebay, how those ain't been caught yet is beyond me. But DAYUM, that's a lot of dosh for OP figures. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2