• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Streams Code Geass on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It's a noble effort, but until the DVD-ripped and fansubbed episodes disappear from YouTube, I fail to see how this will have a huge impact.
Now that Bandai has a serious presence on Youtube, expect those illegal episodes to be pulled within the coming weeks.

Good news for me. I've been waiting to get into Code Geass.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It's a noble effort, but until the DVD-ripped and fansubbed episodes disappear from YouTube, I fail to see how this will have a huge impact.

Not just youtube.There's also on myspace and on megavideo,veoh,ieem,i can go on and on. However,if these are the uncut versions since some nudity was edited on AS,it wouldn't help.

However i'm still going to be looking forward to watching them on AS and Ani-Monday and wait for the season box sets.

They should've did to these series like what they did to gurren lagan and release the sub version on indivudial volumes and release the sub and dub on Box sets so it wouldn't need for fansubs.

Also guys stop whining about the restrictions. it was necessary cause of some anti-trust laws that was placed by the world trade comission so there's nothing we can do.

Also it was placed to prevent foreign fansubbers so those DVD rips and fansubs are also to blame for the restrictions too which is a good thing. I'll gladly buy the DVDs over illegal fansubbing and straming sites anyday.Not to mentioned i can always watch them online on the broadcasters official websites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Especially with Canada. Why can't the deal be for all NorthAmerican distribution? Setting Mexico aside due to the language barrier, Canada REALLY ought to be packaged with any US deal. Same region coding, same language (mostly, I know you've got quite a bit of French speakers there too) and while I'm not very familiar with them, Canada's laws governing digital media and TV shows/anime in general don't seem THAT drastically different in effect from US laws on the subject.

Over the past few months Bandai has made it clear that they don't really care for Canada. Most of their major series, such as Gurren Laggan, and Code Geass have little to no distribution in Canada, or aren't even carried by chains of stores.

Then there is them selling off the North American television rights of Gurren Laggan, and Gundam 00 to Manga Entertainment, who has an exclusive partnership with a butt-munch of a channel that costs $15 a month, and like 7 people have. Meaning instead of Gurren Laggan, and Gundam 00 being on a normal channel like YTV, it is on a hyper-niche digital cable/satelite channel that costs as much as a Anime Single DVD a month.

They seem to like our voice actors though...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This is very cool. Cable TV is quickly becoming irrelevant for me. Very Happy Cool
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Not bad, I just checked it out a bit, and it's a pretty good quality vid I think. I like how they have it both subbed and dubbed too. Only issue I see now is that the subs are kind of distracting. At least they're easy to read, but it would be nice if they were a bit smaller and focused on the bottom of the screen.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Well, Bandai now joins Media Blasters and Toei in my mental list of "companies whom I do not like".

It's a first step, they can't just jump right into worldwide distribution yet. This is a sign that they may be looking to have some sort of wider distribution system, so I'd say cut them a break rather than hate them for something that is still outside of their control.
spimmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
The thing i find a lil odd is that its blocked in europe
also the europe arm of bandai ent beez own gundam00 and code geass rights
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Be that as it may, this was a move by the North American part of Bandai, so it's up to the Euorpean company to follow suit. I will admit that Canada being blocked is odd, the rest makes sense, but not that.
Monte_Kurisuto_Hakushaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Be that as it may, this was a move by the North American part of Bandai, so it's up to the Euorpean company to follow suit. I will admit that Canada being blocked is odd, the rest makes sense, but not that.

Even though we are part of their license, 35 millions Canadians obviously are not worth the mouse click in Youtube to make the videos available for canadians.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Not available in the UK is ridiculous.

Region locked Youtube should not exist. Ever.

Why do they have to do region-locking anyway?

If you're going to stream anime or have it available for download-to-own, you CANNOT and MUST NOT lock out other countries, nor should you lock out Mac and Linux users! Evil or Very Mad
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
It's a noble effort, sure, but untill Companies stop painting themselves into a courner to such a point as they have to do douchebaggery like Region Locking then it might as well not happen for me.

It also paints in large letters "These companies (and/or thier UK Partners) have no care to catering to your tastes so f**k off" to me.

I meen Slayers, it's in a legal flustercuck between Funi, CPM, MVM and whomsoever runs Gong. And yet I can see that (even now when I'm supposed to be buying the overpriced MVM dvds, which is not happening btw).

And your telling me that, in just this case alone, that Bandai can't talk to Beez and quickly hammer out some piece of paper to say it's cool for Euopeans to watch Code Geass?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
melonbread wrote:

If you're going to stream anime or have it available for download-to-own, you CANNOT and MUST NOT lock out other countries, nor should you lock out Mac and Linux users! Evil or Very Mad

They don't have the rights to stream to the rest of the world. When they buy online rights they usually only buy the USA rights since the rest would be expensive, and frankly they would only be making money off the Canadian viewers anyway (since they don't release the series anywhere other than Region 1).

Ask the Japanese producers to start releasing the series online themselves using subititles like Toei has with Crunchyroll.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
melonbread wrote:

They don't have the rights to stream to the rest of the world. When they buy online rights they usually only buy the USA rights since the rest would be expensive, and frankly they would only be making money off the Canadian viewers anyway (since they don't release the series anywhere other than Region 1).

Ask the Japanese producers to start releasing the series online themselves using subititles like Toei has with Crunchyroll.
Won't work. Toei is US only.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
EDIT: moot, as I said the quality was too low, but see next posts where I discover the version I was watching was the default LQ.

Last edited by pparker on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
It's less quality than even 480p fansub, but it's not that much less really than some of them. It's certainly nowhere near 720p but then that would require sufficiently more bandwidth to do.

The HQ version is actually IMO not bad at all. The LQ version is terrible, with huge artifacts in the intro sequence, etc. I actually full-screened the HQ version and didn't find it to be incredibly unpleasant on my 42" 1080p monitor. One thing to note is that the version on Bandai's page for some reason defaults to LQ, but if you click on the episode links it goes to the HQ version for me.

I'd agree that for some this is no substitute for fansubs, but it is a step in the right direction and I think any higher quality than this really should be "subscription" content for some fee. I think that's fully justified, and it'd be wrong to expect higher quality than this for free IMO (especially when they have both the dub and sub versions, which is really neat I think).

On the point of whether "it doesn't matter" because "dvdrips etc are still on youtube" I have to really question that bit. Bandai is paying money for this, and they aren't paying money for the dvdrip versions that were up before. They may make some minor amount of advertising revenue on this, but it probably will be pretty much a wash (I doubt they are banking on this being a source of income, they probably intend to introduce people to it for the purpose of still buying dvds at this point. I'm hoping later they consider a higher quality stream/download service for subscription fee). You may hate dvdrips or fansubs or whatnot, but to me these streaming services prove nothing to me except that the companies essentially agree that the way to sell more product is to get the word out there about the product in the first place.

Now if you are going to say that the "mentality" is different because this is legit and the other "teaches people to think breaking copyright is ok" and that's the difference, I guess I can follow that reasoning, although I have to say personally that I don't think the problem has ever been people's willful breaking of copyright but people's unwillingness or lack of desire to purchase. I think those are really very much separate issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7