• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Streams Code Geass on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
One thing to note is that the version on Bandai's page for some reason defaults to LQ, but if you click on the episode links it goes to the HQ version for me.

You know, that would have been very good to know. I wonder who at Bandai forgot to include anything on the page that indicates the quality of that version, or that you have to click on a non-marked link in order to access the HQ version. I did spend quite some time trying to find a resolution button to see if I was watching the best quality version.

So I stand corrected on the quality. The HQ version matches fansub quality, and I see no reason not to switch at this level.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I gotta admit, I kinda like this. I do get irritated waiting for Adult Swim on Demand to update with the next episode of Code Geass, so if they do a faster update than ASOD, I'll be happy.

AdultSwim.com's AS Fix already uploads a new ep of Code Geass the Friday before the network's Saturday action block. I doubt they'd undercut CN even earlier than that.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
don't be too happy that youtube is cracking down on copyright materials because it wont be long before youtube goes the way google video which originally did the same as youtube is now doing.

in other words what made youtube so big is being cut out and it wont be long before the viewers go where the uploaders are. no amount of company oriented streaming will make up for the thousands upon thousands of uploaded material that will be lost. youtube is literally cutting the legs out from under itself. not that they had any choice but it wont be long before someone decides to use a country in south america or elsewhere that doesn't care about US law to establish youtubes replacement.

viral videos are all nice but the vast majority of youtubes viewers go there to watch copyrighted material that was uploaded everything from music videos and concerts to television shows and anime. as they increase the amount of banned material they will increase the exodus of viewers who will follow the uploaders to the next site that streams what they want to see.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
You do kind of raise an interesting point. While arguing in favor of copyright infringement is hard, I'd have to say over 90% of what I watch on youtube isn't user generated. User generated content is usually boring and egotistic, bloggers, who gives a shit what they have to say?
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
Well, Just like Canada, Puerto Rico (that is part of the US) is R1 and I'm Region Locked too (just like the ANN player)... Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's a first step, they can't just jump right into worldwide distribution yet. This is a sign that they may be looking to have some sort of wider distribution system, so I'd say cut them a break rather than hate them for something that is still outside of their control.

If and when further steps are taken I shall change my stance and apologise for holding the views I currently do.
If and when.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daizo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Yay, yet another step in to the wonderful world of region-locked streams, the entirely wrong direction in digital distribution...

Seriously, low-quality video that's not even available for the most of the world?

The companies should realize that the internet is global and regional locking is a concept of ye olde times and should be dumped as fast as possible.

Or they should just make the internet a region of its own. R0 or something.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
The big concern being voiced in the economic crisis is "Avoid protectionism at all costs". Region coding is a form of protectionism that has no place in a prefered global economy. Region coding belongs in the age before the internet.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The big concern being voiced in the economic crisis is "Avoid protectionism at all costs". Region coding is a form of protectionism that has no place in a prefered global economy. Region coding belongs in the age before the internet.

Region coding is a form of protectionism, but region locking (on web sites) is not.

If region locking is protectionism, than you're saying that the concept of licensing ITSELF is protectionism.

After all, the purpose of region locking is to prevent a COMPANY for distributing a product outside of the geographic area it has the legal right to. Companies do not region lock to discriminate against people, or to "protect a country's interests", they do it because they have no legal choice.

Now, if you think that is unfair, then what you are really complaining about is the concept of a company licensing a property for only a certain area of the world. But that's a fundamental part of business and trade: When I, as a company, do not have the ability to sell my wares in another country but wish to make money off that market, I sell the RIGHTS to my properties to another company, and restrict the region they can sell in to that country.
If you want to restrict the rights of companies to license their products in certain geographic areas, then you have to ban the concept of licensing at all.

Perhaps, in the case of the internet, I could envision a process where all internet distribution rights were always global. But, in that case, what company in Japan would ever license those rights to anyone? They could get undercut in THEIR OWN MARKET, by whatever company they licensed to, through the internet. So such a rule would do nothing but actually encourage companies to never license anything to anyone else.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Region coding is a form of protectionism, but region locking (on web sites) is not.

If region locking is protectionism, than you're saying that the concept of licensing ITSELF is protectionism.

After all, the purpose of region locking is to prevent a COMPANY for distributing a product outside of the geographic area it has the legal right to. Companies do not region lock to discriminate against people, or to "protect a country's interests", they do it because they have no legal choice.

Now, if you think that is unfair, then what you are really complaining about is the concept of a company licensing a property for only a certain area of the world. But that's a fundamental part of business and trade: When I, as a company, do not have the ability to sell my wares in another country but wish to make money off that market, I sell the RIGHTS to my properties to another company, and restrict the region they can sell in to that country.
If you want to restrict the rights of companies to license their products in certain geographic areas, then you have to ban the concept of licensing at all.

Perhaps, in the case of the internet, I could envision a process where all internet distribution rights were always global. But, in that case, what company in Japan would ever license those rights to anyone? They could get undercut in THEIR OWN MARKET, by whatever company they licensed to, through the internet. So such a rule would do nothing but actually encourage companies to never license anything to anyone else.
That's simple. They wouldn't have to involve anyone else in that situation. The only need for region licence would be for region language dubbing, and DVD sales, that could be when ever the studio feels like doing that, if ever. Anime has become a global entertainment business, and if those Japanese companies want to survive they need to operate like a global entertainment business. In short they need to up sync with the 21st Century, and become fansubbers themselves with a way to make money off of that. It's the main reason they're plagued with piracy and the only sure way to fight against it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

A few shows on CR can be streamed to all countries save Japan despite not being licenced globally. This means anyone can view the shows, for the only people who cannot watch the streams already have domestic access to the shows. Does this strategy (which I think is currently underused) avert the risk of Japanese companies being undercut in their own market?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That's simple. They wouldn't have to involve anyone else in that situation. The only need for region licence would be for region language dubbing, and DVD sales, that could be when ever the studio feels like doing that, if ever. Anime has become a global entertainment business, and if those Japanese companies want to survive they need to operate like a global entertainment business. In short they need to up sync with the 21st Century, and become fansubbers themselves with a way to make money off of that. It's the main reason they're plagued with piracy and the only sure way to fight against it.

Right, but let's be clear here, the people at fault are NOT BANDAI.
The people who are the cause of the region locking are the Japanese animation companies (in this case Bandai's parent company in Japan) themselves.

Put blame where blame is due: In this case squarely in Japan.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Right, but let's be clear here, the people at fault are NOT BANDAI.
The people who are the cause of the region locking are the Japanese animation companies (in this case Bandai's parent company in Japan) themselves.
Put blame where blame is due: In this case squarely in Japan.
Who are........? Sorry mate, but I thought that was just what I was doing.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
There is no logical reason whatsoever why Canada should be locked out of viewing this. If there is, then I certainly hope that they have a lengthy explanation available to the public by Monday. Nobody owns the broadcast or streaming rights to the series in Canada, so there can't be any conflict with that, and extra bandwidth can't possibly be a concern on freaking YouTube of all services.

This can't possibly be anything but laziness on the part of the company, since not even Bandai's traditional sense of overprotectionism holds up here. I hope that the complaints about the lack of Canadian access aren't lost among all of the other region-blocking complaints. Yes, it is unfortunate, but it's going to take a long time for any company to be able to cut through all of that international red tape.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that regional coding for streams is silly, and Canada is part of NA, so why would they be locked out of viewing it? Oh, whatever...I'm not a company rep, I don't make these silly decisions Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7