• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on the opener. I'm pretty sure I saw someone dissing it in the Summer Preview or Spotlight thread and I thought that was bizarre.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

At least the theme song still kicks major butt, and it's even better with with what I presume will be the season-long graphics. It's unquestionably my favorite opener of the season.

It's growing on me, no doubt.

First episode with the rolling black background didn't work though.
It works better with animation then a black screen.

But those instruments are still grating my ears.

Blood- wrote:
Agreed on the opener. I'm pretty sure I saw someone dissing it in the Summer Preview or Spotlight thread and I thought that was bizarre.

I made a comment about the vocals not being bad but the instrumentals being terrible if that's what you're thinking of. Could've been another comment though.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
I usually always skip opening songs because either the songs are bad or it gives away spoilers. But this one was too badass to skip. Dusk Maiden also had a good opening song.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
@Lynx Amali - actually, I think it was the fencepostdude guy who had a real beef with it, but I'm a bit hazy on the recollection, so...
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
Not fond of the OP, but I appreciate that it is different from the standard J-pop offerings.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked the OP song of this series so far, probably won't be skipping as I'm doing with some of the current ongoing series.

I do admit though in a few ways, that the Spring Season has better OP songs than the current Summer ones but that's just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Noiciba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I've spent about the past week trying to figure out what the hell Muv-Luv is supposed to be about, since transition between the second and third episodes of Total Eclipse did some timeskip-y stuff that would make a Gundam AGE writer say "haha wow that was pretty ****ing bad" and it left me thoroughly confused. After careful research and questioning all parties involved, I've come to the conclusion that

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/tenshousouhazan/episode_3_fallout.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/tenshousouhazan/totaleclipseoftheheart.jpg

Muv-Luv fans don't know what Muv-Luv is about.

Guess I'll just be dropping this, then. Oh well. At least I got some new fanfics out of it.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Noiciba wrote:
Well I've spent about the past week trying to figure out what the hell Muv-Luv is supposed to be about, since transition between the second and third episodes of Total Eclipse did some timeskip-y stuff that would make a Gundam AGE writer say "haha wow that was pretty ****ing bad" and it left me thoroughly confused. After careful research and questioning all parties involved, I've come to the conclusion that

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/tenshousouhazan/episode_3_fallout.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/tenshousouhazan/totaleclipseoftheheart.jpg

Guess I'll just be dropping this, then. Oh well. At least I got some new fanfics out of it.

Humanity is not on the brink of extinction, but that doesn't mean that leaders of the nations are planning to wait until they are near extinction before making their last stand. See original Muv-Luv trilogy (Muv-Luv (Extra and Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative) for details, or ask someone to spoil spoiler[Alternative IV and Alternative V plans] for you.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Noiciba wrote:

You are quite wrong there, but yes, the pre-requisite is having read through the VN in the right order. Which is by the way one of the most enjoyable experiences in fiction.

I'm disappointed with it so far. I know it won't be as good as the VN - very few things could even come close - but the first two episodes felt somewhat unnecessary.... the thing that really bothers me is the lack of budget. The art and animation are thoroughly mediocre, and even if the CGI is faithful to game designs, can't make up for the overall lack of detail.
Character behaviour has been predictable anime stuff, instead of the heroic stoicism or actually well-represented PTSD like in the game... though I won't judge behaviour yet, since the main characters have only been introduced, already the dynamic between the japanese girl and Mr. Bridges doesn't bode well.
The whole lack of polish in the presentation... it's just more disappointing than I thought it would be. I was expecting the writing and characters to be less intelligent, that it would be a sort of in-universe eye candy. So far it falls short of even that. Maybe I've been spoiled by F/Z Razz
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Eppy 4:

The world has changed a lot in the BETA attack. spoiler[Apparently, you can now stroll from one military base to another, top-secret, military base, whose operators seem to have general authority to torture allied soldiers merely for being present, without encountering a single guard.]

Also, a bit heavy on the "woe is me" stuff, Japan. Turn that angst knob to 11! spoiler[Everyone hates Japan so much they all speak its language!]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I lol'd @ drunk Tarisa this episode. Good thing they got him out of there though or God knows what will happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Torturing an US army officer when your people are living on land leased by USA], I can't be the only one who thinks this is a horrible idea. And rest of the episode was spoiler[Japan, Japan, Japan, Japanese doll, Japan, Japan, Japan, Japanese doll, Japan]. Couldn't they just tell him that Japanese TSF differ from USA made TSF, because Japanese like to hit things with swords.

If the source material was this bad, I can see why many consider Total Eclipse to be the weakest link of Muv-Luv Alternative franchise.

Last edited by 4nBlue on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Yuuya's worst side spoiler[comes out every time he's around Takamura.
That was not his only problem either.
The japanese TSF was as hard to handle as Takamura LOL]

In a fightspoiler[, it sure made him sweat a lot.
This way he's more of a nuisance than anything else.
Yuuya got scolded by Takamura]
.... again.
spoiler[Flashback to his childhood was kinda gloomy.
That little scare with he Russians was]
a nice bonus.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:

If the source material was this bad, I can see why many consider Total Eclipse to be the weakest link of Muv-Luv Alternative franchise.

Wait what? Is Total Eclipse like the first season of the Muv-Luv franchise or are the other "links" complete different stories?

Anyway I am enjoying Yui's character. She has become a serious badass. Her fights with Yuuya are fun to watch. When I was watching thespoiler[ interrogation scene], I was thinking "what is this Russia or the Soviet Union?" Then I remembered the invasion happened in the 60s, so I assume the Soviet Union still stands. It would make sense for them being so paranoid about a "Japanese" soldier being in their base. And why should they care? Hey the world is pretty much doomed, there is no need to be secretive garbage. Oh he might steal your secret robot plans and save the world?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 26