• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index Episodes 1-14 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

The established character personality is whatever he wants to write -- he chose to write her as an annoying loli moocher head-biter.

That's not her character - that's her archetype surrounded by your negative bias (Please don't make me explain the difference, I've had to do it recently and I don't much feel like doing it again). It'd be like me saying Mikoto's character is "violent tsundere bitch". You wouldn't call that her "character", would you?

aereus wrote:

Meanwhile Touma, Misaka, and numerous other side characters are given far more screen time and importance in events.

Fun fact - Misaka has less screen-time than Index and she does even less with it outside of their respective arcs where they were actually relevant. In fact, Index is actually the female character with the MOST screen-time, but you don't seem like you'd remember any of the screen-time she's had unless it was in a battle.

aereus wrote:

Any number of things could have been written to put limits on her usage of the knowledge, and allowed her to be a capable part of the fighting force. Anime/Manga/LNs just have this thing for making nearly everyone but the MC worthless in comparison. Especially women. (For the good guys)

This goes back to understanding character and roles. Again - why does she have to be "a capable part of the fighting force"? What would that actually achieve beyond making her more "awesome" or "cool"? How would it actually benefit her as a character? And even if she was useful in a fight, Touma would STILL leave her behind every time - because that's not just his established character but a crippling flaw of it.

aereus wrote:

You're still acting like the author is beholden to some already existing world. I'm talking about when he hadn't even written anything and was still laying out the characters, world, etc. in his notes.

Were you not paying attention? He had originally only planned to write that one novel. It was only AFTER he had finished writing it that the decision was made to turn it into a series. All of those restrictions were set in that first novel. So yes, he WAS beholden to an already existing world - the world that he'd created with that first novel.
killjoy0309

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
This is kinda what happened with the author of Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa -- he put so many restrictions on the mirror, that it became hard to involve the main character in events. He eventually wrote himself out of it, but decided to go out on a high note then, rather than try to launch into a totally new direction and possibly be cancelled again.

I agree completely, I loved that manga though, MxO as well.

To Aru no Majutsu no Index is a very well made series, I like the idea of a guy who is thought of to have no power at all, and has a very kind heart, is able to contend with some of the most powerful people imaginable
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6