• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuruyuri♪♪ (Season 2 & 3) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Yuruyuri♪♪ (TV)

This just started streaming on CR.

I can't say i understand what there is about this anime that called for a second season, but we got it. I don't remember much about the first season but I don't recall it being this strange, which is about the only thing that saves it from being as bland as an airline magazine.

The first half of the opener they lay it on thick. Real real thick. It was supposed to be a self-parody but I almost didn't make it through.

They had the presence of mind (if that is the word) to start out with the hot springs episode. Not that you get any fan service -- I didn't expect it so wasn't disappointed. No boys either. They have no place here because the stupidest of them is far too smart to show up.

I think we have a real loser on our hands here -- somebody watch it and give me some validation please.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I think we have a real loser on our hands here -- somebody watch it and give me some validation please.

What we have here is a show that targets a specific niche, that is, men and women who enjoy yuri, and thus you'll get different opinions based on whether or not the person is within that niche audience.

As far as the show itself, it has a brilliant sense of comedic timing. This is no wonder seeing how the staff behind Minami-ke have all returned for Yuru Yuri and its sequel. The characters are all pleasant/enjoyable to some degree, and I personal enjoy the banter between Sakurako/Himwari as their particular relationship of each one being tsundere for the other hadn't really been seen before.

Personally, I think that you need validation of your opinion about the show speaks wonders about you. Like it or hate it, it doesn't matter what other people think. There's going to be a lot more Yuru Yuri too, because in Japan the otaku love it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
A real loser? YRYR was a big enough hit to mean: "Nope." This is gonna do very well amongst fans on both sides of the big water. I recently caught up on the first season over the last week and found it enjoyable enough to continue on, and lo and behold, more of the same is perfectly acceptable. Are you sure you saw the first season, or did it wipe itself from your memory?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
considering he didn't get the joke of the first half prolly means he didn't watch all of season 1 and made this topic just to bash season 2.

personally i thought it was a good first episode and really glad the show is back.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
A~KA-RIIIIIII~N!!

Yeah, you obviously just don't click with Yuruyuri, because it's hilarious and adorable as all get out! Yuruyuri is the perfection of a chain of blending yuri and slice of life comedy that began with Azumanga Daioh and Strawberry Panic and has finally reached the culmination of its development.

Why did they make a second season? Maybe because it was Biglobe's #1 most anticipated anime this season? It's cute. It's silly. It's witty, and it's everything a comedy anime needs to be. My only question is WHY HASN'T SENTAI LICENSED IT YET!!!??

Needless to say, I'll be in the front row for the rest of this show's run, and I'll probably be calling for a third cours when all is said and done!

YURU-YURI, HAJIMARU~YO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

They had the presence of mind (if that is the word) to start out with the hot springs episode.

Megiddo wrote:
This is no wonder seeing how the staff behind Minami-ke have all returned for Yuru Yuri and its sequel.

Both these statments are funny as I seem to remember that Minami-ke did a hot springs episode in it's first episode of the second season.

I was a big fan of the first series, and I hope that this will be a good second season, we have had some bad luck of sequels lately. Parodying itself was a good way to go, by turning Akari into the center of everyone's lives, especially if you were fond of the picking on of her in the first series.

My favourite joke was always the ones about Chinatsu being evil, so the bits with the ping pong balls were funny to me. And the inclusion of one of her pictures in the op song.

Hopefully we will be able to see Akari's sister in this season, it teased a bit in the first, but we never got anything.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yuruyuri♪♪ (TV)

Is this supposed to be sarcasm? I can't tell Laughing

It got a 2nd season because it sold a bunch of BDs (you can verify with the Oricon website if you want).

Episode was as good as i remember Yuruyuri, which is to say day-maker or maybe even making my week.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The first part ran a little long, but I suppose throwing all the characters out there with their shticks is less abrasive than properly reintroducing them all. That said, I'm a little disappointed that Crunchyroll hasn't found a better translation than "fine Irvine" - though I suppose Buckingham Palace might not put in an appearance this season.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I think we have a real loser on our hands here

*snickers

Yeah, we sure do.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Akari's face when spoiler[somebody might take the Old Maid] is quite creepy - enough so I had to make it my avatar(I was thinking about using Empress Akarin from the last episode's opening, but that'll have to wait). Of course, I have to wonder why Sakurako's first impulse on spoiler[catching the snake] was to show it to her - might it be connected to spoiler[the ants she keeps in her desk]? Ah well, just as long as she remembers to hand-gargle!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
We should remember to hand gargle, it is good for the body, and the soul. It took me a moment to figure out why Akari did not like the nickname Akarin, then I remembered that it was part of the ploy of making Akari more interesting, which included invisibility and boob missiles.

Sakurako wanting to spoiler[show Akari] made me laugh for some reason, like the show of her childish behaviour, reminds me of the time she "kidnapped" Himawari's sister.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess since I outraged the anime-consumer-that-is-too-easy-to-amuse crowd here, it would be good for me to check in again.

Episode 2 is much better than the first episode which is in a sense damning with faint praise because the bar was just set so low. I thought the first skit with Kyoko battling her ADD to do her homework was quite cute and if all of YYS2 was like that they would be doing pretty well. Unfortunately it wasn't.

I felt that there wasn't as much heavy-handed forcing of the jokes in this episode as well. They seem to have fallen back to the formula that worked in Season 1 which is to let the girl's personalities play off on each other. What that means is they really aren't breaking any new ground here. I suppose that is enough for the fan base here and elsewhere and no doubt that will mean commercial success but it certainly shouldn't earn any critical acclaim.

And yes dear readers believe it or not I actually do "get" the jokes. I also get that they aren't that great and not really that worth my time. Be that as it may I have watched far worse anime through to the end so I hope this one gets better.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
I hope it stays the same. I don't see anyone giving it critical acclaim, it's not that sort of show. Or any acclaim it would receive falls under a completely different set of criteria. It's just lighthearted and yuri-inclined humor that's fine in retreading the same ground the same jokes, it doesn't need to be innovative. The fans like it for exactly what it is, interesting cute girls making dumb jokes and then sometimes kissing. I understand not wanting to turn off your analytical faculties while watching any anime, but it's just a wasted effort here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The fans like it for exactly what it is, interesting cute girls making dumb jokes and then sometimes kissing.
And then this.
No need to turn Yuru Yuri into something different, lets stick with yuri, making fun of the character's personalities and such. They always have the student pres and the teacher, both appeared late, and we need Akari's sister to appear. *crosses fingers*
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
This show is always on the cusp for me. I normally get a few smiles and chuckles each episode, but I find a lot of it boring, too. I hope they bring back some of the little kids. There were two last season who were absolutely hilarious. And are we ever going to met Akarin's pervy older sister?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10